Time off when the ball is out of play

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Another hobby horse of mine was and again shown up when Boyd threw the ball over the deadball line with 30 seconds left to play - and Illawarra-George players started to celebrate, knowing they could waste time and not have to restart the match.
A kick restart would have given the Tigers a chance to snap a field goal and send the match into extra time, where they had the momentum to win.

In my opinion, every time the ball is not in play the clock should stop. I've heard critics of this idea say "but that would make the game too long".
My reply: Who says 40 minutes is the right length for each half? . . . and you really only get 30 minutes of football, anyway.
or shorten each half to 30 minutes, knowing that time-wasting tactics won't work. This rushing to pack a scrum when it suits you, or deliberate time-wasting is a joke.

Your thoughts?

Agreed, on one condition, that play must be re-started in a set amount of time, eg sixty seconds. If either side is not ready for the restart after the set time, they are penalised. The reason I'd have this condition is so unfit teams can't have a rest for five minutes while they get their breath back. However, I can't see it happening for tv scheduling reasons. It has the potential to significantly increase the length of a game and run over the time allocated by networks.

No no no no no

As much as i love watching it in NFL id hate it here
45 seconds for a dropout otherwise penalty
Scrum when either team packs the scrum,waiting like they do however i dont agree with having to stay locked into the scrum but i do agree with original packers of the scrum having to participate in it

I say yes from the moment a try is awarded until the kickoff (so, when the referee blows his whistle to give a try/refer to video ref, yes, then it's time off until the referee blows to kick off) - no time being "wasted" for kicks at goal.

mmmdl link said:
I say yes from the moment a try is awarded until the kickoff (so, when the referee blows his whistle to give a try/refer to video ref, yes, then it's time off until the referee blows to kick off) - no time being \"wasted\" for kicks at goal.
not a bad idea mate.. clock stop once try awarded , doesnt come back on till the kick restart,
unless they have looked at that & thought it wont work as some kickers will purposely take a long time , so his teammates can get their breathe back....

i take that part back about `unless they already looked at that`, i forgot i was talking about david gallop he doesnt look at nothing or see anything..

mmmdl link said:
I say yes from the moment a try is awarded until the kickoff (so, when the referee blows his whistle to give a try/refer to video ref, yes, then it's time off until the referee blows to kick off) - no time being \"wasted\" for kicks at goal.

Referee Greg Hartley did that once in a Manly vs ? game. I can't even tell you the years but I think it was early 80s.

After a try was scored he called time-off until the kicker was ready to attempt the conversion. The idea was good but it made each half about 50-55 minutes long.
There was heaps more football played not standing around like stale bottles of p*ss.

Poor old Hollywood (Hartley). He was so pro-Manly in so many games. Hence, his idea didn't eventuate.

lol lismore i like him because he was pro manly ;D  should be more like him i say lol  ....

its the only consistent, way to deal with that that makes it easy for the refs as well. If we had a 45 second or 60 second rule which is fair, we would have to have another official to police it and all i can say is NO NO NO

jacks on holidays, he is sick, its been raining, so ive been cooped up in the house, so i have been typing all day it seems

And there's nothing on the TV, so lets fire up the forum instead.

Who can we insult to get some fireworks happening?

me or wamfy seem to be the most fired up lately. I fired a few up on the weekend and i dont want to get keyboard brawling again. We could always get vidmar fired up, he is moving house i read, and he is busy. His stress levels will already be way up

I want how they take the 20m tap in the ESL, the offensive team doesn't have to wait for the defensive line to be set like they do over here. They just have to wait until the referee is in place and considering we have 2 ref's could you imagine how quick that would be.

jbb/james link said:
me or wamfy seem to be the most fired up lately. I fired a few up on the weekend and i dont want to get keyboard brawling again. We could always get vidmar fired up, he is moving house i read, and he is busy. His stress levels will already be way up
Working as a removalist for many years I always was mindful of a study I'd heard of which found that moving house was on the most stressful event list  - along with things like divorce, death in the family, and getting sacked from your job. I don't doubt it.

The fitness levels of our players are already at a ridiculous level, and their bodies already cop a hiding. Imagine the stress on the body having a full 80 mins of playtime. Every match would be the equivalent of the roosters tigers match the other night.
No way could you keep that up for a full season.

Dont see the point of making it 30 mins, with time off.........may aswell stay 40 mins without time off?

If it aint broke...........
Besides, the ref should be able to decide whats time wasting. If someones dicking around and not forming a scrum they should call time off anyway.

I like the idea of the last 5 minutes being time off when the ball is out of play.  I just think it makes for some potentially great finishes.  ie, if a team is down by 10 and scores in the final minute they will still have one chance to win the game.  I dont' think you can do it for the full game as the halves would extend to well over an hour game time but the last few minutes would only increase the chances of some great finishes which can't be a bad thing for the game.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2