Time to lock up the kids

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Lots of talk about the Stewarts being signed, but what's happening to Manly's future. Has Manly signed up Hiku, Jake and Tom Trbojevic, Gutherson, Sao, Knight etc. Are they in negotiations. Is Manly watching for for the wolves out to snare the 'babies'. What's happening Manly? Wests were quick to tie up their kids and even sacrificed a few big names to do it and look what those kids did to Manly. Need to think long term.

News Limited crap on about player transfers with the intention of turning the game into a soap opera in order to sell papers; the aftershock being that fans start to believe that planning for the future is the most important facet of club success, when in fact planning for now takes precedence.

There will always be crops of young players coming through and you can't keep them all. Our best chance of winning a competition next season is with Glenn Stewart, so sign him up. The aim of the game is to win premierships, not continue a cycle of holding on to young untried rookies at the expense of one of the best footballers in the current line-up.

Bearfax said:
Wests were quick to tie up their kids and even sacrificed a few big names to do it and look what those kids did to Manly.

When Wests win,3 in a row including beating Roosters I'll take them seriously.
Meanwhile they are a joke, have had a couple of good wins, true. BUt lets see how they look in Round 20. There is no substitute for experience

Kids of extraordinary talent do not fall out of trees. They come along quite rarely and if your team has a chance of grabbing one or two, you would be crazy not to ensure that they are held onto especially if they have a liking for your team or were raised in the area.

Manly in the past were careful about caring for their younger generation and that more than anything else is why they succeeded. They brought from elsewhere or held onto locals and made them feel like family. Stanton, Fulton, Eadie, Thompson, Gibbs, Lyons, Hasler, Toovey, Menzies. Even in the present crop, there were the Stewarts, Ballin, Foran, Watmough, DCE, Taufua, Matai....all young players cared for through the system.

More recently, and unlike Manly of old, we've let some very good junior talent slip through our fingers eg Will Hopoate, Whare, JWH. I know the salary cap contributes, but Manly dont have a very strong junior comp and we dont have the constant stream of top talent coming through. As more and more teams follow the Roosters, Storms and Sea Eagles method of grabbing talented juniors and developing them rather than pay big backs for an established star, these talented kids will become harder to grab and hold onto.

Its therefore surely imperative that those you've got and seem to have the talent, are handled well and feel they are wanted. More often than not they'll knock back a better offer as long as Manly's offer is in the ball park. Realistically playing for Manly is like playing for Man U, Man C. Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool in English soccer. It has the reputation players want to be associated with.

But they must be locked up quickly lest the Dogs of War come a'hunting. And to ignore the media is folly, because that is bringing the issues to the fore, and for our young blokes, making them more known and attractive for predatory interests.

Bearfax, the three you've mentioned are players I'm sure we would have liked to keep but the lure of extra $$ and pretty much a guaranteed first grade spot were too good to knock back - and I don't blame them at all.
We can't keep everybody - 1-7 we have 6 internationals with two wingers being leading try scorers last year - so where would Whare and Hoppa fit?
JWH went to the chooks for more $$ than we were prepared to pay considering he was about 20 and we had King, Kite etc doing the job for us.
Other teams can offer more than we can as they're trying to rebuild and we're trying to retain.
It's a no win situation, move on the current crop a season or two early and cop criticism or let some young ones go and cop it too.

Bearfax said:
Kids of extraordinary talent do not fall out of trees. They come along quite rarely and if your team has a chance of grabbing one or two, you would be crazy not to ensure that they are held

OK, I agree that's easy, just point to the one that is extraordinary.
Which of the 5 previously mentioned do you consider extraordinary?

Snake said:
News Limited crap on about player transfers with the intention of turning the game into a soap opera in order to sell papers; the aftershock being that fans start to believe that planning for the future is the most important facet of club success, when in fact planning for now takes precedence.

There will always be crops of young players coming through and you can't keep them all. Our best chance of winning a competition next season is with Glenn Stewart, so sign him up. The aim of the game is to win premierships, not continue a cycle of holding on to young untried rookies at the expense of one of the best footballers in the current line-up.

Well said

StuBoot said:
We can't keep everybody - 1-7 we have 6 internationals with two wingers being leading try scorers last year - so where would Whare and Hoppa fit?

Where would Hoppa fit? Really? He would fit ahead of Wolfman, Hiku, and as much as Tafua is going really well - I'd have Hoppa for sure.

pjayz said:
StuBoot said:
Where would Hoppa fit? Really? He would fit ahead of Wolfman, Hiku, and as much as Tafua is going really well - I'd have Hoppa for sure.
Need to see W Hoppa running really fast to be sure about this. Seems to have lost a yard or two since 2011.

We must re sign these young players asap. Sickens me that young Hoppa is playing for the whinging worms.

We cant afford to give predators like the rorters or dirty dogs any sniff.

People rave about Bunji flick in the Tigpies grand final but seriously the Hopoate one in 2011 was not only something out of the box but put the game out of the Warriors reach. Manly got 10 points up against the Rorters but couldn't find another try to close up the game. [video=youtube]http://youtu.be/C8V-68n5shc[/video]

Alan said:
Bearfax said:
Kids of extraordinary talent do not fall out of trees. They come along quite rarely and if your team has a chance of grabbing one or two, you would be crazy not to ensure that they are held

Potentially. Of course you cant be sure they will be the champions they seem likely to be. But judges better than me already have several of them earmarked for the Blues, and both Trbojevic and Gutherson have played starring roles in representative fixtures. Of the three we lost, two are now international players for NZ and the third, who took a year off, already has a Blues game under his belt at 21.

Bearfax said:
Alan said:
Bearfax said:

Potentially. Of course you cant be sure they will be the champions they seem likely to be. But judges better than me already have several of them earmarked for the Blues, and both Trbojevic and Gutherson have played starring roles in representative fixtures. Of the three we lost, two are now international players for NZ and the third, who took a year off, already has a Blues game under his belt at 21.

Its a circle. Apart from the difficulty of identifying who is extraordinary is the fact that they want 'top dollar' at 20yo. We did in fact offer hoppa, JHW and others all good money, so it wasn't a case of not trying to secure them. BUT, if we had, who would we now not have ... Foran? Cherry? Ballin? Matai?

Alan said:
Bearfax said:
Alan said:
Bearfax said:

Its a circle. Apart from the difficulty of identifying who is extraordinary is the fact that they want 'top dollar' at 20yo. We did in fact offer hoppa, JHW and others all good money, so it wasn't a case of not trying to secure them. BUT, if we had, who would we now not have ... Foran? Cherry? Ballin? Matai?

Missing my point. Important to read the totality of my comments to see it in context.

I am pointing out a couple of issues that are rising that will make Manly's efforts to secure top quality juniors in future more problematic. What I said was that other clubs are waking up to Manlys. Melbournes, and Sydney City's tactics of grabbing the cream of juniors and bringing them through our system. We lost Hopoate, JWH and Whare because we werent willing to make a competitive payment for those players. Not equal, but in the ball park.

If Manly wants to be competitive in five years they are going to have to ensure that they start building now because when the champion players we've got now all come to the end of their time, there will be a big drop in talent in the club possibly for several years until a stock is rebuilt. Manly dont have the store of top juniors we had five years ago when DCE and Foran were coming through. All of our lower grades are near the bottom of their respective comps. That means the number of top players coming through is very limited at the moment. There are some potentially top class first graders, possibly internationals in the group coming through...but not many. And if we lose the few that we've got we'll be struggling to stay in the 8 in a few years. They are potentially the foundation upon which we can build a future.

Bearfax said:
Alan said:
Bearfax said:
Alan said:
Bearfax said:

Missing my point. Important to read the totality of my comments to see it in context.

I am pointing out a couple of issues that are rising that will make Manly's efforts to secure top quality juniors in future more problematic. What I said was that other clubs are waking up to Manlys. Melbournes, and Sydney City's tactics of grabbing the cream of juniors and bringing them through our system. We lost Hopoate, JWH and Whare because we werent willing to make a competitive payment for those players. Not equal, but in the ball park.

If Manly wants to be competitive in five years they are going to have to ensure that they start building now because when the champion players we've got now all come to the end of their time, there will be a big drop in talent in the club possibly for several years until a stock is rebuilt. Manly dont have the store of top juniors we had five years ago when DCE and Foran were coming through. All of our lower grades are near the bottom of their respective comps. That means the number of top players coming through is very limited at the moment. There are some potentially top class first graders, possibly internationals in the group coming through...but not many. And if we lose the few that we've got we'll be struggling to stay in the 8 in a few years. They are potentially the foundation upon which we can build a future.

The reported $$ that Parra offered Hoppa ( + John and Jamil as a package ) taking in consideration his two year sabbatical, no one was going to be in the ball park. He went from a promising 18yo to SOO player and GF winner in the space of half a season. With the squad we had and his reputation and standing in the game at the time we didn't stand a chance especially as a club in Parra's position need to pay overs, they paid Sandow 500K ffs.
Whare became a Kiwi International whilst bouncing from reggies to 1sts with us and if you go back through some posts here there weren't a lot of glowing reports that demanded we keep him at regular 1st grade money, and Penrith pretty much cleared the decks and started again.
JWH was always a work in progress and is still a walking penalty and few weeks suspension, yes he is up in the top couple of props going around but back then he was down the pecking order and he knew it - kind of like Jake T is now.
As much as these young guys show promise how many times have we heard "he'll be the next Sterling etc"?
Out of our successful U20's from years ago only DCE, Foz, JWH and Buhrer are regular first graders of any note and we still have three of them.
PS - Personally would've loved to have kept them all especially Hoppa, if I had my way Beaver wouldn't have had to go to France but thems the breaks.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6