Timing is crucial for Manly in deciding who to splash out on

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Timing is crucial for Manly in deciding who to splash out on
Stuart Honeysett
November 21, 2011

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/timing-is-crucial-for-manly-in-deciding-who-to-splash-out-on/story-e6frg7mf-1226200604755

MANLY chairman Scott Penn has said the premier will not be rushed into making any hasty decisions about its star players until it knows exactly how much it stands to benefit from the next television deal for the game.
The Sea Eagles were faced with fresh rumours yesterday that two of their best players, brothers Brett and Glenn Stewart, were being chased by the Sydney Roosters as the fallout continues over coach Des Hasler's decision to defect to Canterbury.
The Stewart brothers have also been linked with a move to the Dragons while five-eighth Kieran Foran has been tipped to follow Hasler to the Bulldogs when he comes off contract at the end of 2012.
Brett Stewart and Foran are both off contract at the end of next season while Glenn Stewart has a get-out clause in his contract. However, The Australian was told yesterday Glenn could earn about $700,000 a season at Manly when the salary cap eventually goes up.

Penn said that some clubs had been guilty of making premature decisions about salary cap increases.
Parramatta recently splurged $800,000 a season on former Manly back Will Hopoate when he returns from a two-year Mormon mission.
"I think we've already seen some clubs jumping the gun prior to now on the hope that the TV deal was going to be front-ended and on the presumption that the TV deal is going to cascade into the salary cap," Penn said.
"That's not necessarily the case. We've got 14 or 15 out of 16 clubs that are unprofitable currently.
"I think the independent commission have looked at the clubs and one of their priorities is to ensure clubs are sustainable going forward. If the grant is lifted, or more money is able to come to clubs, then that won't necessarily come purely in the form of the salary cap, otherwise how do the clubs sustain themselves?"
Penn's comments follow a goodwill move from the IC last week in which clubs were told they could receive a $500,000 cash injection if the next television contract delivers the game the substantial windfall that everyone is banking on.
Given there is a difference of about $600,000 between the annual grant and the salary cap, it is safe to assume clubs would not want to pass any of that on to the players if it comes to fruition.
The players' union could have something to say about that.
It will sit down with the independent commission soon to sort out the next collective bargaining agreement.
If the next television contract delivers a payday in the vicinity of $1 billion, players will be looking for significant wage increases. NRL chief executive David Gallop said there were several things for the independent commission to consider when it assumes power.
There is a sense of optimism from most of the key stakeholders in the game that significant progress for the commission can be made before the annual conference next week.
"The position of the players and the new collective bargaining agreement are issues to be considered down the track," Gallop said.
"There is a sub-committee involving club CEOs that has been heavily involved in a consultation process around the level of the grant and the cap over recent years.
"I would expect that committee will convene in the near future to discuss those issues.
"Closing the gap between the grant and the player payments, including those outside the top 25, has been a long held goal of the game."

Manly today are in a state of war with the other NRL clubs. All of them are wanting to pick from our talent. As much as I think Manly are right not match the splurge in player payments that saw us lose Hoppa, if Manly don't pay more, and sooner, we will lose players and not get the best junior players.

Sounds smart to me to wait to see what happens.
Hope its sorted sooner rather then later.

How will parra survive when hoppa comes back and there is little or no increase in the cap. Would be very funny.

Also don't think the players will rush into signing new contracts either, til they know what the increase will be.

mickyj said:
Sounds smart to me to wait to see what happens.
Hope its sorted sooner rather then later.

How will parra survive when hoppa comes back and there is little or no increase in the cap. Would be very funny.

And the CEO who signed him up has now left the building, plus there is no guarantee that Kearney will still be coaching there in 2014. Quite funny.

How much do you reckon pay tv subscriptions will increase by when the new deal is introduced, and how many people will opt out of pay tv when the inevitable increases occur?

tulley said:
How much do you reckon pay tv subscriptions will increase by when the new deal is introduced, and how many people will opt out of pay tv when the inevitable increases occur?
Really can't see them increasing the package cost too much

I just go online and turn off the Sports package for 5 months anyway $100 saved

As the fallout continues? Because of some bull**** rumors? Of course other clubs are going to be chasing our players, but because of Desgate every player that is linked to another club will have the dreaded "fallout" and "mass exodus" linked to it. And you can tell this reporter has nfi since the Stewart's being linked to the Dragons was false.

Channel 9 will be in receviership by its bankers within 12 months so not sure the proposed Tv deal will provide the riches some people are expecting.

The Eagle said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
The Eagle said:
They had better hold the lying mormon to his contract, the nrl that is

I'd take him back in a heartbeat in 2016

Maybe,im only annoyed at his lies but i guess daddy tells everyone what to do in that family

at the end of the day we dont know the full story and circumstances of him leaving. that being said however as far as im concerned he is a big loss, not saying that someelse wont come through, however he had that x factor, not every player has that. I would take him back in a heartbeat too, that being said however we will have to wait and see how he comes back.. Need to see if he is still focused. I belive he will be counting down the days before he gets to leave parra and come back. Not many players like him can cover evey position in the backline and be so good at it.

I read a disturbing article on the weekend about Ch9s current fiscal position and the implications of what that might mean for ability to bid big for the NRL TV rights.

Perhaps the game won't get what it deserves, but more likely what the media outlets can afford.

Masked Eagle said:
I read a disturbing article on the weekend about Ch9s current fiscal position and the implications of what that might mean for ability to bid big for the NRL TV rights.

Perhaps the game won't get what it deserves, but more likely what the media outlets can afford.
Channel Nine crying poor.... when it suits them. What would you expect from them anyway given their history of fabrications and gross self interest?

arty said:
Masked Eagle said:

Channel Nine crying poor.... when it suits them. What would you expect from them anyway given their history of fabrications and gross self interest?

I hardly think this was a publicity stunt from ch9. News about bankruptcy tends to not do terribly good things for your share price.

Absolutely. Rumours of bankruptcy cause rufflings amongst share holders. Admissions of posssible by Channel 9.........well. Some share holders may have already abandoned ship. Some of the more savy will remain close to the captain, with one eye on the life raft.

I agree with Scott Penn or as Kenny Sutcliffe calls him Sean Penn.

No one in the game has a clue yet what the size of the new media rights deal will be so bargaining on a significantly increased salary cap is crazy at this point in time. Clubs like Parramatta who have taken a gamble may well have egg on their faces next year.

I thought Channel 9 was owned by a Private Equity group not a listed company?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2