To Rebuild or not to Rebuild

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rebuild or not to Rebuild

• Total voters

Jatz Crackers

First Grader
This team is at the crossroads & at the heart of it all is the retention & salary cap decisions being dealt with today and what that means for the squad & the club tomorrow. Everyone here has an opinion about individual player performances, coaching, and player contracts. But can you put it all together ?

As none of us accurately know player values and the complexities of the salary cap, this is purely a hypothetical.

OK, so you’re the club boss (coaching/retention/financier) and you need to set the direction for the foreseeable future. Don’t forget there is age v youth, experience v energy, cost v depth, etc to influence your thinking.

Do You ??

1. Attempt to retain as many of the current winning squad as possible (regardless of age) & continue to aim for a premiership this year or maybe next, but in doing so sacrifice overall depth ?
2. Let a couple of the older higher value players go so as to keep a fairly competitive squad with an eye on youthful depth to take over from those others in the near future ?
3. Do you have a large scale cleanout and start over with a focus on the spine of Snake, Foran, DCE, Ballin to rebuild around ?
4. Sell everyone to Des and pack up and move to NZ South Island or Brisbane II

Choose one of the above in the poll & offer a post here to briefly explain your choice.

2. Try to promote from within, or recruit, some tyros for the future such as we did with DCE, Burher, Foran, JWH, Lama Tasi . . . and try to keep Easts from poaching them.

Number 2. Its clear that we need to offload our older forwards, our older backline players are fine. Our young halves are excellent and we have some good depth in the outside backs in Whare and Tafuia. To get some decent props in we will need to let go of either Snake, Foran or Trex. That decision would be the hard one.

No.2. Clear out the older forwards retain the spine. A couple out of Kite,Galuvao,King,Rose,Lussick will have to go. Must retain Snake, TRex,Gift, Lyon,Choc,Foz,DCE,Buhrer. Maybe Ballin and Matai will have to go and give Higgins, Whare the gig. We need young props Cunningham,Palau,Robinson to step up and fast if not we need to find someone else.

Our depth certainly needs attention as we seem to be underperforming across the grades atm.
I can't agree on what to do currently regarding rebuilding as I hate the thought of losing any emerging stars or our legends.
The Veteran Eagle, my dad, reckons Manly seriously needs some size. Some of this is solved when Rex finishes suspension and we should bring George back as we need some impact.
In the immediate future we could start rebuilding by....... winning.
Leave it to me. I'll have a chat to Tooves and the boys.

1. We need to retain Foran and Matai and Stewart. This team has another premiership in them.
I kept watching DCE and Watmough last night who are my favourite players and most effective, and they had nothing last night. The 5 day turnaround is a killer, especially trying to back up at the Brookvale bog. Gold Coast had been skipping around a flat surface and were fresh for the game.
Stop trying to find a new team when we won the premiership with this team just 6 months ago. People do not age that fast!. Wait will Glenn and Trex and Foran are back on the park it will be the Manly of 2011 again.
NYEagle

No 2
Kite and matai then snake, gift.(All gone) Hang on to local Juniors as long as possible as they will stay for less to play for there local club.(most of the time)

This kind of thread is fraught with danger, but as long as it's just a laugh.

I chose No.2 but seem to have a different interpretation than Mick.

Retain Kingy for the right price...new blood needed up front.

Backrow....Glen, Ferris, T-Rex and Choc definitely needed.

I don't think we can have a balanced team with 1mill spent on the halves and with DCE just locked in...goodbye Foz (unless you stay for $350,000)

Lyon retires when he wants to go (he's deserves that right)...Matai took a pay cut last time so I'm happy if he stays on for a fair price.

Wingers speak for themselves but I wouldn't be paying much more than $250,000 on any outside man.

Brett, and this is where I will cop some crap (no more than 350,000) chronic injury and 600,00 is monopoly type money).

Reserves...well let's just say if they get a better offer.

No.2
There has been a lot of talk lately about building a team around the "spine". Not unlike what the Storm has done around the "big 3". One thing I have noticed is that whenever talk of our "spine" comes up it revolves around four players and in particular two halves. In todays salary cap climate I just dont believe that such a luxury can be afforded. So as hard as it is - and I have always believed that we had to lose players - now that DCE is stiched up I think that T-Rex needs to be kept over Foz.
Don't get me wrong, this sucks massively. I want to keep them all.
But as manlyfan says, I don't think we can afford those sorts of $$$ in the halves.

lovefooty said:
No 2
Kite and matai then snake, gift.(All gone) Hang on to local Juniors as long as possible as they will stay for less to play for there local club.(most of the time)

Interested to know lovefooty if you mean all 4 of those gone for next season or Kite+Matai at seasons end and then Snake+Gift next year ?

Bit of 1 and 2.

I think the 2013 team will have a different look about them(due to retirements, transfers) and 2014-5 we'll be on the market for a quality senior prop and centre.

At this stage prop no one really stands out.
But centre Zak Hardraker from Leeds goes alright. Marked up on Lyon and contained him well

Jatz Crackers said:
lovefooty said:
No 2

Interested to know lovefooty if you mean all 4 of those gone for next season or Kite+Matai at seasons end and then Snake+Gift next year ?

Can't see why people want to get rid of Matai. He was our best last night. Always offers go forward and is still hitting with venom. If we had of had three like him last night we would have won.

lovefooty said:
Jatz Crackers said:
lovefooty said:
No 2

?? lovefooty ??

DSM5 said:
Can't see why people want to get rid of Matai. He was our best last night. Always offers go forward and is still hitting with venom. If we had of had three like him last night we would have won.

Ive got my preferred options aswell DSM. Which way do you bounce on the 4 options ?

Jatz Crackers said:
lovefooty said:
Jatz Crackers said:
lovefooty said:
No 2

?? lovefooty ??

DSM5 said:

Ive got my preferred options as well DSM. Which way do you bounce on the 4 options ?

Sorry I did post but it went missing. Much like our forward pack last night.

I think Kite and Matai would be on top of my by by list for next season. I thought that with snake of contract that he should also go and if gift wanted out because of his brother ,than so be it.

Has to be a mixture of all Jatz.

You need good rookies (Jamie Buhrer for example)
You need to retain quality veterans (Jamie Lyon for example)
You need to pick up the occasional surprise free agent (Hall for example)
You need to unfortunately let some players go (Rodney for example)

You just need to be really, REALLY smart about it all.

#2 - would like to keep all players but it just doesnt happen.
In order of players to release - Kite, Mauro, Lussick and Wolfman. That would be about $800K a season, if not more. Thats extra money to retain local juniors and possibly sign a few players in the next couple of seasons.

Jatz Crackers said:
Do You ??

1. Attempt to retain as many of the current winning squad as possible (regardless of age) & continue to aim for a premiership this year or maybe next, but in doing so sacrifice overall depth ?
2. Let a couple of the older higher value players go so as to keep a fairly competitive squad with an eye on youthful depth to take over from those others in the near future ?
3. Do you have a large scale cleanout and start over with a focus on the spine of Snake, Foran, DCE, Ballin to rebuild around ?
4. Sell everyone to Des and pack up and move to NZ South Island or Brisbane II

Bizarre premise for a poll, Jatz?

Option #1 includes "continue to aim for a premiership this year" – does this mean you think maybe we should abandon that goal at this stage?

FYI I just checked the ladder, and despite the difficulties we've faced with overseas travel, away games, injuries, and unhelpful scheduling – we are still in the Top 8.

Some people may have forgotten the excellent form shown in the first 2 rounds. I'd be very surprised if our chief rivals have written us off just yet.

I remember last season it look DCE until just about the Broncos fixture to burst out of his bubble and become a sex machine on the field. I believe if we extend the same luxury to Mauro, Harrison, Whare/Taufua/Oldfield etc, then something similar will happen very soon. If we curbed any young bloke who didn't set the NRL on fire when he first started then we wouldn't have many players. Don't get me wrong, I hate losing, but so do those boys, and I don't think we'll be losing many more.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4