To the legends from the fans.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
@doc posted this statement:
Dean Ritchie's reference today that fans are turning on the players is disgraceful.

I thought it might be an idea for Silvertails fans to express to the media through this thread which could be sent to the club so that our absolute legends know that we do not want them to leave. We respect, admire and appreciate that the senior players have been and still are the heart and soul of our club - along with Tooves.

G.Stewart - you will leave a huge gap and none of us wanted you to leave.
Brett - to us you will always be the Prince of Brookvale - we need you to end your career at Manly.
Choc - you are a symbol of what it is to be Manly and we need you to stay.
Matai - the Manly spirit, always putting your body on the line through the pain.
Foz - a true young legend and perhaps a future leader.
DCE - superb Sea Eagle representative both on and off the field.

The fans aren't dirty on any players we are just confused by the media speculation telling negative stories about our club and players.

Thanks for all you have done and stay Manly.

Please add your messages so we can send off the thread. Cheers. Go Manly!:)

Well said Nicci. We love all the players that play for our great club. Telecrap journos can pee off

I endorse your comments entirely but please add DCE to your list nicipops... otherwise the headline will be "Manly fans hate DCE"!

I had hoped all the players involved would be Manly for their careers but realistically the salary cap was always working against that.
I have no real idea of the ins and outs of this issue other than what is reported but I would say to those thinking of leaving that other Manly men have done that before and regretted it - Vautin, Shearer perhaps even Bozo.
The players have the opportunity be an untarnished part of the club's lore.
Still if they do feel their loyalty to the club has been broken and it is now just an employer paying unders well OK but then it is a matter of contracts that they did willingly enter into.

Tbh Nicci I have more faith in the Manly players than any speculation & have always believed the best way to assess teams disharmony is on the field, its a strong A plus for comradery imo where it counts ...as for getting a massive offer to go elsewhere....there is temptation, if another business offered to double my salary today theres a massive chance I could be heading elsewhere & if a long time friend was cut I would be disappointed.
The ONLY part I dont like is sharing any IN HOUSE info with these media vultures.
Its apparent there are a few senior players who are upset a mate is leaving Manly, but also think they are professional enough to get on with it in 2014 & over it to start 2015.
Its human nature to feel the bite in this cut throat business side of professional sport, but if these leading players are made of the steely resolve the fans have come to support & admire, all will be good.

Outstanding post!!
Agree, pass this onto the players.

They need to be reminded they are part of a special era and the fans love them

Strong apart, stronger together!

MadMarcus said:
I endorse your comments entirely but please add DCE to your list nicipops... otherwise the headline will be "Manly fans hate DCE"!

Noted and added. Cheers to all Silvertails supporting this thread.

Which fans have turned on the players? The only thing I see of concern (me being a member), is our want to have the core of the team remain together.

My beef is with the restrictive NRL's long serving player allowance. Players at the tail end of their career's aren't provided appropriate incentives (both from a club, and players perspective) to remain "at home".

Club's that focus on home grown talent, or developing players from a junior level are punished, so that clubs like The Bulldogs and Roosters can buy the market, and inflate contracts.

Surely the salary cap isn't designed to rip club legends from the team, like has been done with Glenn Stewart, Steve Menzies & others? It's meant make an even playing field. Why, then, focus & invest in development of talent, when you can just buy out players from the opposition.

Heck, Manly as a club should just dissolve all the junior grades. Have a roster of 25 players, and be very cashed up, and just buy players off every other team like The Bulldogs.

Example of this weeks line-up for them (and I'll include players who have played for other 1st grade teams):-
01. Mitch Brown (Tigers)
02. Sam Perret (Roosters)
03. Krisnan Inu (Eels)
04. John Morris (Dragons)
05. Chase Stanley (Dragons)
06. Josh Reynolds (No other club)
07. Trent Hodgkinson (Sea Eagles)
08. Aiden Tolman (Storm)
09. Michael Ennis (Knights)
10. James Graham (St Helens)
11. Frank Pritchard (Panthers)
12. Tony Williams (Eels)
13. Reni Maitua (Parramatta)

14. Corey Thompson (Broncos)
15. Sam Kasiano (no other clubs)
16. Josh Jackson (Knights)
17. Greg Eastwood (Broncos)

VS:

01. Brett Stewart (no other club)
02. Jorge Taufua (no other club)
03. Steve Matai (no other club)
04. Jamie Lyon (Eels)
05. Peta Hiku (no other club)
06. Kieran Foran (no other club)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans (no other club)
08. Brenton Lawrence (Titans)
09. Matt Ballin (no other club)
10. Josh Starling (Rabbits)
11. Anthony Watmough (no other club)
12. Justin Horo (Eels)
13. Glenn Stewart (no other club)

14. Jamie Buhrer (no other club)
15. Jason King (no other club)
16. Jesse Senne Lefao (no other club)
17. Tom Symonds (Roosters)

That's 2 players (for The Dogs), and 12 players (for The Eagles).

Yet Canterbury can always seem to find more cap space to acquire these players, and The Sea eagles, year in, year out have to LOSE players (up to three per season) just to remain within salary cap restraints.

Again, I ask you, what incentives are there to invest, develop and retain your own players. What incentive is there to spend money on junior grades of football?

The NRL should collectively hang their heads in shame. Manly fans aren't upset at our players in any way whatsoever. What Manly fans are upset about, is losing long standing, club legends, who have intertwined with the community, demographic, club and fans.

The Daily Telegraph, and other News Limited arena's won't get that, because it makes far too much sense. They lie about the salaries being offered (I know that as fact), and they write half truth's to sell papers.

I love Glenn Stewart, Steve Matai, Brett Stewart, Kieran Foran and DCE. They know it, the fans know it, and the club know's it. That's despite what some journalist thinks will get them clicks or hits.

Agree wholeheartedly with the opening post. I love all the guys and don't want any of them to leave, and can certainly understand where tehy are coming from.

Ryan said:
My beef is with the restrictive NRL's long serving player allowance. Players at the tail end of their career's aren't provided appropriate incentives (both from a club, and players perspective) to remain "at home".

This is the true issue at the heart of the current "crisis". The NRL need to get serious about this, not some token $250K concession to be used for the whole squad. Wake up Smith, you are turning into another Gallop.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6