Today's Worm Castings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
From Danny the Worm in todays Sun Herald -

Trent Barrett has been dignified in his silence since he signed on as head coach of the Sea Eagles, but don't think he is not working hard behind the scenes to ensure his first season is a winning one.

He has assembled an impressive team, with the highest-profile recruit shaping as Manly's favourite son Steve Menzies.

At this stage it's planned that the Sea Eagles legend will have an Allan Langer game-day-style role at the club. He'll be communicating with the players for Barrett on the field. It's the "blue shirt" role.

He would love the job if he can work it in with other commitments, including his role with Fox Sports.

Menzies wants to sit down with Barrett and work out if it was a five-days-a-week gig – which might rule him out. He'd also want to clear it with Geoff Toovey.

Others locked in to Team Barrett include Dan Ferris, who will be head of physical performance. Luke O'Donnell will be in charge of rehabilitation and his assistants will be Anthony Seibold and John Cartwright.

Out of respect to Toovey, Barrett has stayed away from the playing group. He obviously has had a say in decisions about next season: recruitment of next year's players has been a priority, rather than sackings from this year's squad.

One big name who won't be there is halves coach Andrew Johns. In a sign of Barrett's desire for a fresh start Johns has been told the club is moving in a different direction.

It may be the first time one Immortal (Bob Fulton) has overseen the departure of another.

"I'm fine with it," said Johns. "And I'd really like to use this opportunity to wish Trent all the best. I hope he has a lot of success." As for more coaching, such as the head position at the Knights? "Yeah, that'd go great," he laughed. "I don't want to do a head coach role. I do really enjoy the kind of thing that I did with Manly, especially working with the young halves. I'm not sure if I will do it again at this point.

"I haven't had a good break for a while and I'm planning on going surfing for a couple of months, so I will make a decision after that. " Toovey hasn't blown up about his sacking and, apart from an appearance at his official departure announcement, the Penn family – the club owners – have handled the final weeks of Toovey's coaching tenure with silence out of respect to the club legend.

The Penns knew they were in for a shellacking from the fans but have taken that in their stride. On top of that Toovey will be paid upwards of $450,000 to go fishing next year.

The Penns have been given a razzing, but it's worth remembering they pay all the bills at Manly. They paid upwards of $8 million to get ownership and they have every right to choose the captain of the good ship Manly.

They bought a mess under the previous management and were constantly bashed up in the board room via a 4-on-3 gang-up because of an alliance between the former part-owners Quantum and the District Football Club, which has two spots via a shareholders' agreement when the club was privatised.

The District Football Club is on a lifeline with its previous deeds not forgotten by anyone at the club.

It has a say on colours, name and home ground ... and little else. The club has called for members to meet the ever-changing board of the DFC at Manly Leagues Club before the Brookvale Oval game against Parramatta on Sunday, August 23.

Former player Mal Cochrane was listed as a board member two weeks ago when the DFC slammed the Sea Eagles over the dismissal of coach Toovey.

Cochrane and club secretary Julie Sibraa are missing from the board named in the latest email to members.

Former District Club and Leagues Club chairman Bob Reilly remains on the list, but he won't be greeting members. He has been banned for more than three years and the current board won't be lifting the ban any time soon following a long investigation of financial issues at the club by the Office of Liquor and Gaming. Reilly's exit from the Sea Eagles has been as sharp as was his rise.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-business-20150808-giuq3l.html#ixzz3iHeY9trq
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Interesting that Julie Sibraa and Mal Cochrane have left the FC committee, any one know why?

Leaves a couple of Penn haters on the board like Williams and Reilly - doubt peace will be anytime soon.

Next year is going to be a cracker and can't wait. We have a lot to look forward for.No doubt toovey will still have a good job at manly at some stage and he don't seem to worried about the change.I think manly has done it again and shown the rest of the league that they are not pushovers.

Interesting that Julie Sibraa and Mal Cochrane have left the FC committee, any one know why?

Leaves a couple of Penn haters on the board like Williams and Reilly - doubt peace will be anytime soon.
Julie is the Secretary of the FC and compiled the Toovey Tribute.
Mal's name was just omitted - nothing nefarious

the Penn family – the club owners – have handled the final weeks of Toovey's coaching tenure with silence out of respect to the club legend. But they respectfully made him front the Media as they stood and blamed Toovey for non performance leading to his dismissal :swear:

The District Football Club is on a lifeline with its previous deeds not forgotten by anyone at the club. Pathetic threats by those who have insecurity issues :mad:

upload_2015-8-9_13-36-28.jpeg

Danny Weedler,that says it all.Not sure you can say "leaked stories to the media of imminent sacking of Tooves"that started in October last year,as respect for a club legend.I think media and Penns seem to miss the real issue with Tooves sacking.Penns have every right to do what they think is best for club and if that's having Barrett as coach,so be it.But don't feed fans and members dribble that this is a performance based issue.And disrespecting Tooves by leaking to media is not on.

Zorbas collum above is just the usual bias crap from him and hate directed to those who dont do as he would like.

Hmmm well IMO that is an agenda driven pile of steaming horse**** article............!! :mad:

Seriously though it is not just about owners of clubs......because the reality is.....with out the fans, no one watching T.V., no advertising, no football, no product, no nothing.....simples.....!

Wiedler writes tid bits he gets from the guys at our club who want to continue the dysfunction. The football club has a place and a voice and a right to speak out on things it feels appropriate to. The Penns own the club and they have a right to run things there way but at no stage will they be above scrutiny or debate about their performances. I am greatful that they are investing in our club but I and my fellow members at the football club will not be silenced if they treat a club legend with contempt like they have with Toovey!

G'day all,Whether they are trying to salve their own conscience or think that by bombarding us with their self serving dribble we'll suddenly forgive and forget their deplorable and shameful conduct since taking over ownership of the club I don't know.
I can't speak for anyone else but no matter what line they want to spin,i've seen, heard and know enough to say how disappointing it is to have people of such character now running our, or should I say their club.
So fellas yes you may own( or be riding on the coattails of the owners)the club and yes you may be able to do as you please,but please stop insulting our intelligence with this rubbish.
I certainly hope that Barrett and his support staff do bring us success next year and beyond and I have no ill will toward them at all,but no amount of success for our club will ever change my opinion of,or my contempt for,our current owners and their toady.
cheers mike

Hey everyone. Let's not get hysterical.

To be fair the Penns sought and hired a new coach during a period of poor results and team disharmony. Many fans at that time were questioning the coach.

I am actually excited about 2016. I think Penn and co has done a sterling job in securing DCE, Fulton, a host of players (to overcome the percieved weaknesses in the pack) and possibly even Beaver.

And Toovey gets a year off with full pay. Not shafted except a bit of an ego hurt. But wonderful Geoff can console himself with some 400k for doing nothing. That's right he's won the lottery. Maybe it was perhaps beyond his control that he was aligned to the opposing (and now outed) board faction that shafted Gifty. But that's the game of thrones. You choose your side and if it's wrong it's the sword.

If anything -- Toovey, those players who have been tapped on the shoulder and those staying are now in the same place, the same Ark. It's the shop floor against the upstairs management, and it's making them an in-form and giant killing team with something to prove.

To be fair the Penns sought and hired a new coach during a period of poor results and team disharmony. Many fans at that time were questioning the coach.

I am actually excited about 2016. I think Penn and co has done a sterling job in securing DCE, Fulton, a host of players (to overcome the percieved weaknesses in the pack) and possibly even Beaver.

And Toovey gets a year off with full pay. Not shafted except a bit of an ego hurt. But wonderful Geoff can console himself with some 400k for doing nothing. That's right he's won the lottery. Maybe it was perhaps beyond his control that he was aligned to the opposing (and now outed) board faction that shafted Gifty. But that's the game of thrones. You choose your side and if it's wrong it's the sword.

If anything -- Toovey, those players who have been tapped on the shoulder and those staying are now in the same place, the same Ark. It's the shop floor against the upstairs management, and it's making them an in-form and giant killing team with something to prove.
Many fans lol seriously?

Many hypocrites who now have jumped on the Toovey bandwagon now that he's winning

I'll remember their duplicity as much as i do the owners duplicity

Many fans lol seriously?

Many hypocrites who now have jumped on the Toovey bandwagon now that he's winning

I'll remember their duplicity as much as i do the owners duplicity

I think most of the people you're accusing of duplicity were merely questioning what was going on. Has he the tactics to mastermind a less than ideal lineup? Has he lost the playing group? The timing of the resurgence does nothing to quiet these questions. Nobody is above scrutiny but there is a way to do things and that way was not followed.

Why does it have to be a matter of sides? That's seemingly the attitude that has caused this situation in the first place. As fans, we really aren't in a position to judge a coach. Unlike with players, we don't get to see him at work. All we see are hopefully the results of his work as interpreted by the players.

I'm sure we all support Tooves. I'm sure most of us are unimpressed by the management style that is currently being displayed by the owners. But question everything.

Were many fans unhappy when

1 Toovey got chucked into the job in 2012
2 Toovey led the team to the 2013 Grand Final.
3 Toovey's 2014 team lost the minor premiership on for and against.
4 Toovey got the team off the canvas after being decimated by injury and off field dramas.

Tell me again why he was sacked, but just give me the truth not the bull****.

I think most of the people you're accusing of duplicity were merely questioning what was going on. Has he the tactics to mastermind a less than ideal lineup? Has he lost the playing group? The timing of the resurgence does nothing to quiet these questions. Nobody is above scrutiny but there is a way to do things and that way was not followed.

Why does it have to be a matter of sides? That's seemingly the attitude that has caused this situation in the first place. As fans, we really aren't in a position to judge a coach. Unlike with players, we don't get to see him at work. All we see are hopefully the results of his work as interpreted by the players.

I'm sure we all support Tooves. I'm sure most of us are unimpressed by the management style that is currently being displayed by the owners. But question everything.
Don't see him at work?
You're Watching his work at work
6 games we should've won this season we have lost
Both penrith games late losses
First cows game late loss
First donkeys game foran ****ed up
Other 2 I'm sure I've forgotten,but I'm sure they are there
With 6 more wins we'd be in the top 4
That's regardless of the injuries which we all agree have sucked

The duplicity has created the sides, a club legend being knifed in the back by 3 fat bitches created that

Going off the players loving a coach model we have Brad Arthur

His players love him
He's a rookie coach
He brought systems with him and defensive genius
He isn't fit to tie Brian Smith's shoes up

Barrett has the same plaudits that BA has, the resemblance is uncanny

The best part is the bloke who hand picked him has lost 9 from the last 10 origin series as selector and he also hand picked Peter Sharp as a successor

Whoever thought this is a good idea needs a lobotomy

I wasn't a great fan of toovey as coach.. His card was marked as soon as the Penns got control.. They have fired nearly everyone or so it seems. If toovey had to go I would have liked to see him replaced by someone better................

G'day all,If objecting to people who don't meet my standards of what I consider ethical propriety and basic common decency makes me hysterical well so be it.They are just not the kind of people I would associate with,others may differ.
Yes they did seek a new coach but what we have ended up with is plan b after their plan a option the great BA wouldn't jump ship.
We won't mention injuries having an effect on results,and as for team disharmony certain players got their noses out of joint because they could sniff the breeze of football mortality blowing their way and didn't like the fact that the winds of change were coming.Funnily enough the outrage that they had at the decision not to resign Glen was never seen when blokes like Beaver and Kitey were shown the door.What's the difference?
As for securing DCE he was secured until they took over and proceeded to unsecure him then had to turn around and resecure him.Sterling management and we won't even start on the sign Matty B now lets get rid of him fiasco,or theToovey will see out his contract one day no he won't the next debacle or the unfair dismissal claims they've had to settle.Yes they have managed to bring in Bozo who does seem to have turned things around.
So Glen was shafted because he wasn;t resigned at completion of his contract but Toovey hasn't been shafted when terminated during the course of his current contract after being assured he would see out his contract and then being publicly humiliated in the process.I must be missing something there.
Despite all the rubbish that has gone on off field the team is currently ,no matter what the reasons,giving us something to cheer about and we may yet be able to salvage something out of what was looking to be a very abject season.
cheers mike

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7