Todd Greenberg signs new NRL rules for 2014

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
No public debate on any of these. They just announce them. Most of the changes are pretty ordinary. I guess involving the public would have revealed they want the shoulder charge and punching back.

So a referee can stop the game to caution a player but the player and captain aren't allowed to talk to the referee and respond. This should be fun. "Go away Steve. Steve go away. Go away Steve."

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg has signed off on a series of significant rule changes - including structured times when a captain can talk to the referee during a game - in the hope of cutting time-wasting.

Greenberg said the changes were made after consultations with the clubs, coaches, the competition committee and 11,000 NRL members and fans who responded to an online review.

The NRL has also enforced the rules aimed at deterring the crusher and canon ball tackles, with the match review committee directed to charge crusher tackles at the ''higher end'', while referees are advised to call ''held'' earlier when a player is trapped in an upright position to prevent the third, and late, defender from coming in.

Greenberg conceded the changes to ''captain communication'' could raise some debate.
Advertisement

Under that rule, a skipper can only talk to a referee during a stoppage in play and as players leave the field for the half-time break. Penalties and scrums, however, are deemed not to be considered as breaks in play.

''There was a level of frustration from players, fans and members when they watched games that when a player gets penalised, the attacking team should have the right to take a quick tap or kick for the line when they're ready and the referee has given them the mark,'' Greenberg said.

''It'll no longer be permitted [at the penalty] for a captain to rush up to talk to the referee. There'll be ample opportunity for them to do that in a structured manner. One of those times will be at half-time as they walk off the field.

''People want to see football, they want to see the ball in play, and the decisions we've made complement that view. It's not taking away the opportunity for the captains to talk, but it certainly allows for the game to move on.''

The changes include:

Zero tackle from 20-metre restart: The first tackle after a 20-metre optional kick will be called a zero tackle. The rule change provides an extra tackle to discourage tactical kicks and negative play when the ball is kicked dead to slow down the game and deny wingers and fullbacks the chance to return kicks.

40/20 restarts: The team that performs a 40/20 kick will restart play with a tap kick 20 metres in from the touch at the point it crossed the line instead of at a scrum.

Restarts from kicks out on the full: A handover will be awarded when the ball is kicked out on the full.

Stop the clock: During the last five minutes of a match, the clock will stop following a conversion or penalty kick at goal until play restarts at halfway.

Quick taps: A quick penalty restart will be permitted on any infringement except 10-metre penalties, where the referee issues a caution or within 10 metres of the opposition goal line. The change encourages more continuous play.

Goal-kicking time limit: The referee will call time-off at about one minute, 20 seconds following a try. Fines will still apply to clubs when a player takes longer than 1:40 to take a conversion.

''This has been the end of five months of heavy consultation with clubs,'' Greenberg said. ''We've been able to get around and get opinions, which is important, but the point I've made to coaches is 'We'll always listen to you and we'll take your opinions on board but our charter is to make decisions that are in the best interest of the game'.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-changes-rules-to-cut-timewasting-says-todd-greenberg-20140125-31ffg.html#ixzz2rP2Ppw6I

Just more scope for Toddy to penalise us more while his pet clubs continue to get away with it.

Not allowing the captains or players to speak to referees is just plain dumb.

They have forgotten that the NRL is a viewing entertainment product on tv or at the ground. Fans get passionate and want to see their captain standing up for their team if they think they are being wronged. They want to shout abuse when the opposition captain tries it.

People watch more closely when there is some passion or emotion or conflict shown.

Well done NRL another year on and you've just taken out yet more passion and emotion from the game.

How can I hate on the Dogs or Storm if Ennis and Smith aren't allowed to chip away at the referee until he finally snaps?

362183-3aaee666-84ba-11e3-b9d4-ee96a3e30d81.jpg

Brissie Kid said:
Stop the clock: During the last five minutes of a match, the clock will stop following a conversion or penalty kick at goal until play restarts at halfway.
[/b]

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-changes-rules-to-cut-timewasting-says-todd-greenberg-20140125-31ffg.html#ixzz2rP2Ppw6I
[/quote]

why are the last 5 minutes any more important than the other 75 minutes of the game. i realise a game can be decided in the last 5 minutes(or for that matter even the last minute) but to only apply these rules in the last 5 minutes & not apply them for the rest of the game doesn't make sense to me.
what about from the 35th minute until half time?
who is to say a try wouldn't occur in the 5 minutes before half time if the clock wasn't stopped for a conversion earlier in the game.

Thanks for the post Brissie Kid. Not sure where your consternation...or annoyance re public input as I read..."Greenberg said the changes were made after consultations with the clubs, coaches, the competition committee and 11,000 NRL members and fans who responded to an online review."

So I'm happy with that! (Though I'm not you so tis all good!)

I'm also happy with the changes. I agree with castle eagle about why just the last 5 mins and it should be all game. Though traditionally the super slow walk back from a conversion generally happens in the last 5 to 10 mins of the game from the leading team. So I see why they say only 5 mins, but I would like it all game.

I'd be happier with 2 captains challenges per half since they are going to restrict the times captains can 'talk' to the refs.

I don't mind them not being able to talk so much to the refs as nearly every captain states he just goes in to talk to 'give his guys a rest' or to set the defensive line. That said, refs make far to many mistakes and if the nrl are trying to brush them under the carpet by not allowing captains to complain about them.....then we should have captains challenge and/or a more proactive video ref making quick decisions.

Bring on 2014!

The no talk is fine by me as it only ever got Manly offside with the Refs. But what is a break in play degined as :huh: Will Scum Players fake injuries to allow Cam his chat time ?

Does Cannon ball include leg twist ? It needs to ASAP

Don't like the fining Clubs for a 1:40+ goal - who keeps the time - it needs to have a countdown clock on the screen so that Fans will know its objective :idea:

The 40/20 change is a gift to DCE ;)

11,000 didn't include me or anyone I know.
Season ticket holders should be polled, as it is we who sit through all the games in all weathers, only to come away frustrated by the incompetent Pinkos :cool:

Brissie Kid said:
No public debate on any of these. They just announce them. Most of the changes are pretty ordinary. I guess involving the public would have revealed they want the shoulder charge and punching back.

So a referee can stop the game to caution a player but the player and captain aren't allowed to talk to the referee and respond. This should be fun. "Go away Steve. Steve go away. Go away Steve."

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg has signed off on a series of significant rule changes - including structured times when a captain can talk to the referee during a game - in the hope of cutting time-wasting.

Greenberg said the changes were made after consultations with the clubs, coaches, the competition committee and 11,000 NRL members and fans who responded to an online review.

The NRL has also enforced the rules aimed at deterring the crusher and canon ball tackles, with the match review committee directed to charge crusher tackles at the ''higher end'', while referees are advised to call ''held'' earlier when a player is trapped in an upright position to prevent the third, and late, defender from coming in.

Greenberg conceded the changes to ''captain communication'' could raise some debate.
Advertisement

Under that rule, a skipper can only talk to a referee during a stoppage in play and as players leave the field for the half-time break. Penalties and scrums, however, are deemed not to be considered as breaks in play.

''There was a level of frustration from players, fans and members when they watched games that when a player gets penalised, the attacking team should have the right to take a quick tap or kick for the line when they're ready and the referee has given them the mark,'' Greenberg said.

''It'll no longer be permitted [at the penalty] for a captain to rush up to talk to the referee. There'll be ample opportunity for them to do that in a structured manner. One of those times will be at half-time as they walk off the field.

''People want to see football, they want to see the ball in play, and the decisions we've made complement that view. It's not taking away the opportunity for the captains to talk, but it certainly allows for the game to move on.''

The changes include:

Zero tackle from 20-metre restart: The first tackle after a 20-metre optional kick will be called a zero tackle. The rule change provides an extra tackle to discourage tactical kicks and negative play when the ball is kicked dead to slow down the game and deny wingers and fullbacks the chance to return kicks.

40/20 restarts: The team that performs a 40/20 kick will restart play with a tap kick 20 metres in from the touch at the point it crossed the line instead of at a scrum.

Restarts from kicks out on the full: A handover will be awarded when the ball is kicked out on the full.

Quick taps: A quick penalty restart will be permitted on any infringement except 10-metre penalties, where the referee issues a caution or within 10 metres of the opposition goal line. The change encourages more continuous play.

Goal-kicking time limit: The referee will call time-off at about one minute, 20 seconds following a try. Fines will still apply to clubs when a player takes longer than 1:40 to take a conversion.

''This has been the end of five months of heavy consultation with clubs,'' Greenberg said. ''We've been able to get around and get opinions, which is important, but the point I've made to coaches is 'We'll always listen to you and we'll take your opinions on board but our charter is to make decisions that are in the best interest of the game'.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-makes-sweeping-rule-changes-designed-by-some-of-rugby-leagues-best-thinkers/story-fni3fbgz-1226810364539
More than 11,000 NRL fans and members were consulted on the rule adjustments, with NRL head of football Todd Greenberg visiting all 16 clubs to debate the new laws.

The only game around which changes it's rules willy nilly every year.

Is unrecognisable from 20 years ago and is no better than it was 20 years ago.

What will it be like in another 20 years?

HappilyManly said:
The no talk is fine by me as it only ever got Manly offside with the Refs. But what is a break in play degined as :huh: Will Scum Players fake injuries to allow Cam his chat time ?

Does Cannon ball include leg twist ? It needs to ASAP

Don't like the fining Clubs for a 1:40+ goal - who keeps the time - it needs to have a countdown clock on the screen so that Fans will know its objective :idea:

The 40/20 change is a gift to DCE ;)

11,000 didn't include me or anyone I know.
Season ticket holders should be polled, as it is we who sit through all the games in all weathers, only to come away frustrated by the incompetent Pinkos :cool:

I am assuming the 11k fans are people who participated in the nrl nation surveys. I was sent an invite to participate and understood it was extended to all season ticket holders/members from each club. Some of these changes were covered in the polls

How can the NRL change the rules of rugby league? Have the poms and kiwis signed off on these changes? Has the RLIF signed off on them? Or is Todd's signature now the final say?

How is a grubber kick that just goes over the dead ball line a negative play that needs to be punished so it is discouraged? Didn't they watch the Grand final? I hate that Jennings try at the end where he got the try right on the dead ball line but are they saying 5 more millimetres longer and that was a punishable kick? They get gifted a free 20m for the re-start already don't they? What deep thinking has gone on here?

Getting rid of scrums is also dumb. How many great tries have we seen from scrums? Manly have got plenty over recent years. The scrum opens the field up. A tap won't do that. More great thinking from the boffins at NRL HQ.

I dont like the quick tap rule. Watching a team defend its line for 5 sets only to see some idiot dive over unopposed after receiving a stupid penalty, or watching a winger streak 50m without threat, as he is a sneaky prick is not footy, entertainment, or part of the game of Rugby league

I see problems such as
the tap not being taken on the mark,
How can a team retreat the 10m required if they are given 1 second warning
Is this a professional foul if they take off straight away and are tackled by anyone as the whole team is offside
What will be the penalty if the tap is taken off the mark
Will the rule be applied consistently
With 2 refs its possible for the ref marking the 10 to be in place at the time the penalty is called. Teams have to have time to get back onside

I just dont see this rule working. I see it causing more issues that we previously had

jbb/james said:
I dont like the quick tap rule. Watching a team defend its line for 5 sets only to see some idiot dive over unopposed after receiving a stupid penalty, or watching a winger streak 50m without threat, as he is a sneaky prick is not footy, entertainment, or part of the game of Rugby league

I see problems such as
the tap not being taken on the mark,
How can a team retreat the 10m required if they are given 1 second warning
Is this a professional foul if they take off straight away and are tackled by anyone as the whole team is offside
What will be the penalty if the tap is taken off the mark
Will the rule be applied consistently
With 2 refs its possible for the ref marking the 10 to be in place at the time the penalty is called. Teams have to have time to get back onside

I just dont see this rule working. I see it causing more issues that we previously had

100%. Look at the straggly game that sort of rule already produces when the ball is caught on the full in the ingoal. They want to take the 20m tap before their opponents are able to get back to the 30m line. How is that a fair and equal restart? These extra changes will see more unequal and unfair advantages. Who wants to see tries where the defenders are non existent? The NRL.

COMMANDER said:
The only game around which changes it's rules willy nilly every year.

Is unrecognisable from 20 years ago and is no better than it was 20 years ago.

What will it be like in another 20 years?
The game has got more and more complicated over the years.
They don't need more rules, they need better refs and the public needs to be able to understand the rules, not be left scratching their heads thinking WTF was that.

Todd Greenberg....isn't he just great?

It seems it's all forgiven for him and it's back to him being the media darling.

Don't mind Killer not being able to talk much to the refs, the strange thing is he seems to be the one opposing fans lambast, when Smith, Thurston and Ennis are worse in my opinion.

The pursuit of speed, speed, and more speed by the Powers That Be will lead to a very boring game in the end. High scores? Sure. A gripping and engaging contest? Not so much.

MissKate said:
Regarding the issue of talking to the ref, shouldn't effect us much, the refs have never listened or considered our captain's views. Can't wait to see how thurston or ennis cope with this rule change

This rule won't apply to either Thurston or Ennis.

Thurston is a koala and does as he pleases. (see last year's accusation of a conspiracy to dud his team)

And Ennis plays for Greenturd's beloved Scumdogs. Rules don't apply to him.

So if a team wants to kick the ball dead on the full to take the opposition fullback or wingers out of play, instead of punting it like Soward did to Slater will taking a drop kick in the general direction of the goal posts be ok instead? Is taking a field goal shot late in the game now to be discouraged? Dopey thinking at NRL if you ask me.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4