Tom Symonds relishing move to Manly Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
by: James Hooper
April 21, 2013 12:00AM

CITY Origin forward Tom Symonds has emerged as an early contender for buy of the year after his switch from the Sydney Roosters to Manly six weeks ago.

Set to begin the year with Newtown in the NSW Cup at the start of the season, Symonds will today continue to reassert himself as an NRL star in the making when City meet Country in Coffs Harbour.

Fighting for a position at Bondi Junction alongside Sonny Bill Williams, Boyd Cordner, Aiden Guerra, Luke O'Donnell, Mitchell Aubusson and Frank-Paul Nuusaula, the Roosters local junior opted to make the sea change to Manly in search of opportunity.

Pushed straight into the Sea Eagles starting pack by coach Geoff Toovey, the red-headed backrower has proven a revelation on the northern peninsula.

"If I'd stayed where I was six weeks ago, I probably wouldn't have even played a game of NRL and no one would have said a word about me," Symonds said.

"It's funny how it's turned out but, looking back, I couldn't have asked for a better start and I'm really happy I made the change.

"I guess I probably just needed an opportunity, a fresh start and having a pretty clear head about it all. Manly has well established leaders and senior players so all I've got to worry about is doing my job.

"It's turned out to be a breath of fresh air.

"There were times last year when I felt like I was ready for first grade but it just didn't quite work out for me."

Symonds admitted, given his family history with the Bondi United club in Sydney's eastern suburbs - his grandfather Bill Symonds was a founding member in 1946 - it was a tough call to switch to the Sea Eagles.

"Given the history with myself and my family, it was a big reason why I did want to stay at the Roosters and another reason why it was difficult to leave," Symonds said.

"But I sort of got to the point where I really had to do what was in the best interests of myself.

"It wasn't a decision I made lightly, it was a tough one.

"But so far it's turned out to be a good one so there's no regret there."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/tom-symonds-relishing-move-to-manly-sea-eagles/story-fndv31ch-1226625126803

I've been geeing up a Roosters mate from school asking him if we could grab a few more of his castoffs. He reckons we should enjoy the moment because Tommy should be just about getting injured in the next few weeks and then he said we will have a laugh about it then!

He could be right Darren but given what we are paying we are still getting good value for 15 games a year.

Roosters do have a lot of younger backrowers of similar skill so Symonds did need to get a chance which is a perfect fit for us with our seasoned backrowers.

If he can stay fit (we have a history of improving guys with injury clouds, think BK) then he will be a great player for many years

I know Tred has had his share of injuries before joining manly but does anyone remember the injury prone bald back rower who we signed in 2005. Barely missed a game in two seasons. There's a reason for that our medical and recovery staff are the best in the game.

RL Gronk said:
I know Tred has had his share of injuries before joining manly but does anyone remember the injury prone bald back rower who we signed in 2005. Barely missed a game in two seasons. There's a reason for that our medical and recovery staff are the best in the game.

It is well documented that we had the best sports medicine team back then. Cutting edge technology

He looks fine to me and heck, Brett, Glenn, Steve M, Wolfie, Choc, Foz etc all seem to have lingering injuries but doesn't stop them playing. A wonderful purchase and really helped the pack as Buhrer didn't really step up as many thought in 2013. Gee, Glenn, Choc, Horo and Tom are a great back row.

RL Gronk said:

Our medical and recovery staff is hardly the best in the game. Look at Brett, Gift, Wolfie, Stevie, Choc, et al. who have continual nagging injuries. Compare that to the Storm who seem to have a dream run.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Injury free, Symonds will be playing Origin in a couple of years

It might be sooner than that Kiwi. If he has a big game today, he could be right in the mix by Game 3.

Phantar said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Injury free, Symonds will be playing Origin in a couple of years

It might be sooner than that Kiwi. If he has a big game today, he could be right in the mix by Game 3.

Yeah especially when NSW **** up the selections as usual and lose games 1 & 2.

Fantastic pick up for next to no cap space.

T-Red deserves a new two year deal.

Nice story on NRL.com, too:

Coach Fittler says Symonds was his first pick

http://www.nrl.com/coach-fittler-says-symonds-was-his-first-pick/tabid/10874/newsid/71822/default.aspx

Everything our recruitment have quietly gone about doing has been super high quality.

Considering the upheaval in recent years, we really are blessed with the work they have done & the club we support.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2