Tooves and Kelly go at it over Burgess

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BoomStickBarbie

Reserve Grader
MANLY coach Geoff Toovey was involved in a heated row with new Sea Eagles chief executive Joe Kelly on Friday over the proposed recruitment of South Sydney international Tom Burgess.

The Sunday Telegraph has been told some Sea Eagles staff members were cleared out of the club’s Narrabeen offices as Toovey and Kelly engaged in a robust debate about the Rabbitohs forward.

With the Sea Eagles still working overtime to retain star halves Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans, Toovey was believed to be fuming over Kelly identifying Burgess as a priority target.

The connection between Kelly and Burgess comes from the new Manly CEO’s previous role as South Sydney’s chief financial officer, a position he held from 2007.

Geoff Toovey (R) is desperate to retain Kieran Foran (L). Picture: Gregg Porteous

Toovey attempted to hose down the ferocity of the debate when contacted, while Kelly confirmed the majority of his conversations as Sea Eagles CEO had been “robust”.

“Everything’s good. He’s doing a good job and we’re working hard to try to sign our off-contract players,” Toovey said.

“We’re a tight-knit group at Manly. We always have discussions about things every day and we finish in agreement.”

Tom Burgess is off contract at the end of the year. Picture: Mark Evans

Since taking over the head coaching role from Des Hasler in 2012, Toovey has guided the Sea Eagles to one grand final and has operated using a recruitment and retention committee for those players off contract.

The committee comprises Toovey, football operations manager Steve Gigg and recruitment scout Dave Warwick, with the Sea Eagles looking to retain a host of stars including Foran, Cherry-Evans, Steve Matai, Matt Ballin and young gun Clint Gutherson.

Tom Burgess is also off-contract, with the Rabbitohs facing a huge assignment trying to retain the English forward, gun halves Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary, as well as their rising stars Alex Johnston, Cameron McInnes and Kyle Turner.

Kelly reiterated the Sea Eagles’ long-standing policy about refraining from commenting on negotiations with players and stressed any “robust” conversations always finished with the club “finishing on the same page”.

Sea Eagles’ CEO Joe Kelly. Picture: Troy Snook

“The only way to go about running a business is to have robust discussions,” Kelly said.

“Anything that goes on at our club internally, we will always keep it internal but you can rest assured plenty of discussions will often be robust.

“Any recruitment related matters we will always follow club policy which is to refrain from commenting until we’ve finished negotiations and always notify our members first.

“Whatever goes on internally we all finish on the same page and we all move forward together in the best interests of the club.”

Last edited by a moderator:
James Hooper is an open hater of our club and his words should be taken with a pinch of salt!
The reality is that every club has discussions about what players need to be targeted and in our case we are waiting for 2 guys to make a decision before anything can happen.

This is just yet another beat up by a media organisation who's vision is to discredit our club where ever possible.

Get Tom, three-five year plan, later Kelly gets new Head of NRL Todd Greenburg to give Sam dispensation to return to join his brother at Brookvale (and the best halves in the game;)), 2017, 2018, 2019 maroon and white years.:cool:

P.S. Two accountants bluing, I hope the pencils weren't sharp, or 5B at least:rolleyes:

Tom doesn't appear to be as good as George but if I'll agree with Tooves if all he is saying is lets get our halves sorted out first. Its important we find out soon so we can get on with our forward planning and who ww can afford to recruit.

Good to read about 'robust' discussions. Means communication is going both ways and 1 person *cough ex-coach cough* isn't running the show autonomously.

“Anything that goes on at our club internally, we will always keep it internal but you can rest assured plenty of discussions will often be robust.

If everything stayed internal ,we wouldn't be hearing about this through the media.We obviously still have a Rat infestation.

Lol average my ass. One of the best in the league. Better than anyone on our books.
One of the best in the league? Sam was, George goes ok, Tom is average.
Keeping our halves, who are among the best in the league should be number one priority, any money left over could then be used to bolster our forward stocks. If it all came down to a bidding war I'd hate to think we lost one of our halves due to signing Tom Burgess.

Last edited:
DCE and Foran are not priority for Joe Kelly. He thinks they'd take up too much of the cap. He believes you don't need superstar halves to win a comp, just a great forward pack. Souths lone premiership of the last 43 years has gone to his head.

Just says to me that Kelly his mind made up on the Clubs ability to secure Foran/Cherry and is beginning to look elsewhere.

So who was the person kicked out who then stayed with their ear to the door and phone in one hand?
Haha, exactly. Makes me suspect this might have been a deliberate leak to counter the player agents talking up all our star halves' options. In other words, we have options too...

We could probably sign Adam Reynolds at half the price Foran and Cherry Evans are asking and Seizer at a third of the price.

That leaves a ****load of money to buy the Burgess boys plus a few more forwards

There is still a mole in the club still. Look i can see burgess is a good signing but our priority is the 6 and 7 the whole player market is stalled because of this.
Who knows maybe manly are getting in before announcements are made, whiich would be smart if they have conceded we cannot keep both halfs.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8