Toovey facing tough NRL initiation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm looking forward to his game day interviews, after having served on the board for the NRMA I think he will be fairly, media savvy.

Well at least we will hear soemthing from our coach this season.
A little less no comment.
Des was starting to make Bennet look like a media guru

The NRMA board used to receive death threats just prior to the AGM.
Tooves can handle anything.

Toovey is one of my favorite all time players. I expect our side will boast two things that were the hallmark of his career - competitiveness and combatitiveness.

I think it was the finals game against the Broncos where in the last 10 minutes he ran on and drew the entire team onto a huddle behind the posts. I knew we had the game win then.

Tooves was never the most talented out there, but made the most of his abilities as a player through his toughness, attitude and commitment. I have no doubt he will do the same as a coach. I feel so much better knowing this guy is at the helm after all this racket.

WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH THE TOUGH GET GOING .THERE IS NO ONE TOUGHER THAN TOOVEY.

My concern, is that Des was so focused on the finer details, leaving no stone unturned.

Toovey doesn't appear that (or Perry). They should have, and should be doing MUCH more to calm the fans at the moment.

Toovey talks of not talking to any player, but for mine, if this were a business, at least a telecon or something should have gone ahead, with all parties.

THEN, you want a media release, talking about passion, loyalty, commitment, brotherhood etc.

I don't know, I thought that would be simple, but maybe that's me.

Tooves, Perry - LIFT.

Ryan said:
My concern, is that Des was so focused on the finer details, leaving no stone unturned.

Toovey doesn't appear that (or Perry). They should have, and should be doing MUCH more to calm the fans at the moment.

Toovey talks of not talking to any player, but for mine, if this were a business, at least a telecon or something should have gone ahead, with all parties.

THEN, you want a media release, talking about passion, loyalty, commitment, brotherhood etc.

Tooves, Perry - LIFT.

It's you.

What "fractured playing group"?
So far only Dr Hoppa Jnr has left to a rival club.
With Coo-coo-coo-choo-Mr-Robinson leaving to cash in on some well-earned easy money in England.
So let's just breathe deeply for a bit.
As with any major change in any organisation, the change gives everyone a REASON to reassess and look at all options while they digest the impact of that change. Doesn't mean they will necessarily do anything different yet.
And as Tooves has been around this same playing group forever (let's face it, he's even been standing in the backline for most of the games) he SHOULD be able to re-galvanise the team.
The big unknown is our bloody disfunctional board.
In my opinion, this whole mess is their stupid fault and the sooner they realise everyone pays to see the playing group - not the board - the better the club will be.
Boards should be neither seen nor heard.
Go Manly.

Hey Monty - fair enough.
Mind you triple control freak Des who I have been told "if Des wants pink toilet paper he gets it" isn't exactly squeaky clean in all of this. He won't get his own way on absolutely everything over the Dogs thats for sure.

Donny Singe will ensure they are fit, Killer will ensure they are going forward, the bloke who came back will ensure new players coming through and Toovs will oversee it all. All good. The front office is in place and I can see a prosperous and winning time ahead. All we need is some taxpayers money going into Brookvale.

The toughest aspect for Tooves is that he'll be coaching a team that's expected to win. But it's a hugely difficult task to win the premiership back to back, not least because it's hard for players - individually and as a group - to find the motivation to do it all over again, week in, week out. As long as the fans cut him some slack, he'll be fine.
I like the fact he's keeping a low profile and quietly getting on with the job. Posturing and public statements are largely useless. I expect he'd prefer the team to make its statement on the field. If that means waiting for season 2012, I'll happily wait.

Toove's will do just fine. All Premiership winning teams aim to win back to back titles and eventually someone will do in again. The fact it hasn't happened in a while only re-inforces how competitive the competition is.

Sure....... Toove's will have plenty of pressure on him but so will the other 15 coaches. The big thing he has going for him is the strength of the squad and the experience they've gained from the past 5 years.

Daddycool said:
Sure....... Toove's will have plenty of pressure on him but so will the other 15 coaches.

Especially that new Bulldogs coach who pushed aside on of their favourite sons to get the gig next year.

I can't wait to see the reaction in Belmore if they lose their first few games (which is not unlikely given their roster).

Is it too optimistic to think that the Manly tradition of killing opposition coaches could continue in Round 8 next year.... (I'm sure it is but I wish it wasn't)

Gorgeous George said:
Ryan said:

Tooves, Perry - LIFT.

It's you.

Absolutely. DCE wasn't good enough after round 1. Brett Stewart was a waste of cap space and should have been released because he was injured all the time. Now Tooves needs to lift when he has only been in the job a couple of days. Unbelievable.

A comment was made to me just a few days ago, by a past Sea Eagles staffer (no not one that's left recently) who has been gone from the place for some years now...they said "It will now be a better place to work and possibly be more successful than they have ever been".

This is a comment not about on field performances but about the club well being as a whole.

The comments were made by text, and other than me saying back to them that it still was a 'sad day' I didn't have any further communications.

Take from that what you will.

Personally I think Tooves will be fine, especially if they announce someone like Dennis Moore (who lives on the Sunny Coast these days) as his back up.

Oh and Cliffy as the "water boy"

As old Joh used to say "Don't you be worried about that"!!

Onwards and upwards

My biggest concern for 2012 was the impact that Des would have on the players if he had stayed. As the year wore on, with Tooves wanting to have more say, and Des wanting to stick with his own methods and dare I say it 'control' then I believe B2B was a virtual impossibility. It would have been very difficult under those circumstances for the players to stay focused.

Fortunately that scenario has gone. B2B is incredibly difficult and Tooves will be under pressure being in charge of the premiers. All the same I think the current odds of $9, or preferably close to $12, would be very, very good value. A lot of the negatives of Des being there are gone and I am much more positive about a terrific season.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2