Toovey laughs off feud with Hasler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Evo

Capt Goodvibe
Geoff Toovey says there is a very successful culture at Manly plus a happy squad by: Stuart Honeysett, The Australian

NEW Manly coach Geoff Toovey admits it is impossible to ignore the rumours swirling around about the Sea Eagles but maintains that he and the players are taking them all with a grain of salt.

Manly players returned to the training field yesterday after a tumultuous off-season which saw coach Des Hasler sign with Canterbury for the 2013 season and then sacked for enticing other staff from the football department to follow him to Belmore.

Since his departure, the club has been beset by rumours that other players want out, with brothers Brett and Glenn Stewart being linked to St George Illawarra and the Sydney Roosters while Kieran Foran is tipped to follow Hasler to the Bulldogs.

"You can't ignore it but you've got to take everything with a grain of salt," Toovey said.

"We'll deal with any problems or concerns that arise on or off the field as best we can and just move on. We're very confident that we've got a really good playing squad again and we'll be very successful.
Free trial

"The squad's very happy at the moment and that's all you can do. There's always going to be those rumours around but that's just the way it is.

"We think we've got a very successful culture here at Manly and we want to continue that."

Toovey said the Stewart brothers _ who had been selected to tour with Australia for the Four Nations tournament before being forced to withdraw _ had returned to pre-season training seemingly oblivious to the publicity they were generating.

"They read about themselves in the paper but you talk to them and they don't know what's going on," Toovey said. "But they're both here and they're happy as Larry."

Toovey even scoffed at reports that he and Hasler had fallen out over the speculation that Foran was also heading to Belmore.

"I read in the paper that Des and I had a big fight a couple of weeks ago but no one wants to ring you and confirm it because it would ruin the story," Toovey said.

"Look, it's not football season so I'm sure everyone is scratching around for news and it's all rumour and innuendo at the moment."

Most of the players from the 25-man squad returned to training yesterday at the club's headquarters at the Sydney Academy of Sport to begin preparations for their title defence. The only exceptions were those who toured with Australia or New Zealand for the Four Nations.

The squad is due to hit the field for its first ballwork session on Friday.

"I've spoken to them in dribs and drabs throughout the day and they're fine and all ready to go," Toovey said.

"They're all really positive about the season coming up and they're just looking forward to getting back in the swing of things and playing a bit of footy, which is good at this time of year."

Toovey's first challenge as head coach will be tough as he has to prepare the Sea Eagles to take on English Super League champion Leeds in the World Club Challenge on February 17.

NRL teams traditionally have a tough time in the WCC as they have to overcome several hurdles including travel, different time zone and different climate.

"It's always a tough gig _ last time we were over there (in 2008) we put in a fair effort to securing it," Toovey said.

Eaglette Fan said:
Everything I read about Tooves continues to make me think he will be a great Coach. He is calm, inclusive and measured.

Spot on. Tooves has always been a favorite of mine, and he's sounding better and better every time he talks to the media. He's gunna kick some a$$ in 2012 :)

Evo said:
"The squad's very happy at the moment and that's all you can do. There's always going to be those rumours around but that's just the way it is.

"We think we've got a very successful culture here at Manly and we want to continue that."

Toovey said the Stewart brothers _ who had been selected to tour with Australia for the Four Nations tournament before being forced to withdraw _ had returned to pre-season training seemingly oblivious to the publicity they were generating.

"They read about themselves in the paper but you talk to them and they don't know what's going on," Toovey said. "But they're both here and they're happy as Larry."

Truth in reporting for a change

Is this really in a News Ltd rag? Are you sure?

This journo appears to have actually done an interview and got quotes from his source. If Rupert finds out he will be kicked to the kerb.

MadMarcus said:
Is this really in a News Ltd rag? Are you sure?

This journo appears to have actually done an interview and got quotes from his source. If Rupert finds out he will be kicked to the kerb.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/geoff-toovey-says-there-is-a-very-successful-culture-at-manly-plus-a-happy-squad/story-e6frg7mf-1226201806233

There ya go bro....good pic of Tooves too!

This is just another News Ltd beat up. Lets get the facts straight.

Tooves is pissed at Des.
Stewarts are looking for an out.
Morale is at an all time low.
Players are dreading the upcoming season.

It's crystal clear and we can handle the truth. After all we can't pick and choose what is truth in journalism - and what isn't.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7