Toovey or Hasler..who is the best coach?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Who is the better coach? hasler or toovey?
This topic may stir some debate! I'd love to see overall winning percentages for each coach. I have a suspicion there wouldn't be much in it. Both are entertaining in their own way in regards to media interviews although Hasler wins hands down for eccentricity, Tooves likewise for passion. My choice is Toovey..I reckon he has maintained the Manly standard well in his 2 seasons and hs pretty much got now the team that he wants. The coming season should be interesting now the so called dissent has died down.. bring on 2015!!

There is no doubt Dessie is a great coach but what used to annoy me was the regimental play and the reluctance to blood some young guys.
I think Tooves is as good but allows more a free reign or "play some football" style.

We really have been spoilt for coaches.

Des is a great coach who left his club, team and fans. He's still a great coach.
Toovey is a man of loyalty and character. He's doing a mighty fine job as a coach.

Two moments I've loved from our coach Tooves:

2012 last minute victory over the donkeys when he threw his water bottle in celebration.

2014 last minute victory against the panthers when he did a little Mr Miyagi smile in the coaches box.

Toovey deserves a premiership. Fire up Manly boys.

To be 100% accurate you would need Toovey to have the teams Hasler had at that time, as an example I dont think Hasler would have coached Manly to go any further than they did this season with players out & all the disruptions.
Keep in mind Toovey has had to overcome some tough situations whereas Hasler had a unified team until the rabble he created....maybe he would not have had the success if he took over the same scenario.
In a nutshell the record books give it to Hasler in a landslide but I think Toovey has some special times ahead for us Seaeagles fans.

I was saddened when Hasler left - all personal feelings aside - a great coach.
Also worried about Cleal following him.

But I honestly do not think Hasler could have achieved more than Tooves under the same circumstances. I have also enjoyed the differences Tooves has brought.

As for Cleal.... the pinnacle of his post playing career has been in enticing Jamie Lyon to join us... a roller coaster ride downhill since then.

Win or loose, could not be happier with our current coaching/recruitment team.

Go Manly

How does anyone compare?

First 3 seasons as coach?
Average premierships?
Total wins?
Average finals appearance?

Hasler had a club on the rebuild which in turn gained momentum combined with hunger. Toovey has a club at its peak with star players but not the same momentum or hunger.

bones said:
sapphire coast sea eagle said:
My choice is Toovey..I reckon he has maintained the Manly standard well in his 2 seasons and hs pretty much got now the team that he wants.

Toovey has had 3 seasons.

Hasler is the better coach.
Toovey is the better person.

My apologies Bones.. Toovey indeed took over for 2012 onwards. How could I forget Des deserting for the Dogs just after the 2011 premiership victory!!

I am in the now camp lol I am so proud of everything the team has done in the past . But I am really excited about 2015 and the future so i am saying Toovey... One of my favourite players as well.

Hasler is a very good coach, no question.

Tooves is unfairly criticized IMO that he inherited a great team, and therefore his coaching has been very little. These critics that say this are usually the ones that predicted 2012 to be a disaster.....we played in the PF. 2013 we were meant to be nowhere as usual with an ageing squad...GF. And of course 2014 losing Kite, Joey, Rose, and then the bickering....4th and Rd 2 of the semis.

Tooves has done a sensational job in getting us Three Top 4 finishes in his first 3 years, all with a squad that is every year being written off.

Tooves is Manly as much as anyone else has ever been. I love his press conferences, and his passion for the club (and the game).

Hasler’s record is excellent, that is not in doubt.

However Tooves bleeds maroon, so I prefer him and he will win us a premiership very soon.

Toovey has not proven anything so far. He was gifted the best team in the comp and we have gone backwards since.

We will see as he builds his team over the next few seasons how he goes. So far he's not in the same league as Hasler but early days as yet.

Jerry1 said:
Toovey has not proven anything so far. He was gifted the best team in the comp and we have gone backwards since.

We will see as he builds his team over the next few seasons how he goes. So far he's not in the same league as Hasler but early days as yet.

Tough marker there Jerry.

Gone backwards since?

We couldn't get any better than 1st and history tells us that staying at the top ( Top 4 ) year after year is tough. We've been written off as an ageing squad ever since 2011 so he's done better than most other coaches.

By your reckoning the Chooks should put Robinson on notice, they went backwards this year with the best roster in the comp.

StuBoot said:
Jerry1 said:

Tough marker there Jerry.

Gone backwards since?

We couldn't get any better than 1st and history tells us that staying at the top ( Top 4 ) year after year is tough. We've been written off as an ageing squad ever since 2011 so he's done better than most other coaches.

By your reckoning the Chooks should put Robinson on notice, they went backwards this year with the best roster in the comp.

I reckon it's a fair assessment. The core of the team is still Hasler built. Tooves has his chance now to go on and build his own team. He was understudy to one of the best. It's his time to shine now. How brightly, well we'll have to wait and see.

Hasler is undeniably ahead now but by the time they both finish their careers Tooves will go down as the better coach imo. I think we have some exciting times ahead.

Tooves hasn't figured out how to win week one of the finals yet. I think that's a question mark over him.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2