Toovey takes Arthur as assistant coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Toovey takes Arthur as assistant

Friday 26 October 2012 11:55 PM

The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles will welcome former Parramatta Eels Coach Brad Arthur to the club’s coaching ranks from next month.
Arthur will replace Matt Parish, serving as Assistant Coach to Geoff Toovey alongside Dave Penna.
The 38-year-old, who took the reins from Stephen Kearney for the final six games of the Eels’ 2012 season, has also served as an assistant coach to Craig Bellamy and coached the Storm’s Toyota Cup side to a 2009 Premiership.
Arthur said he’s looking forward to the new challenge.
“I’m really excited to be joining the Manly Sea Eagles. They’ve been highly successful for the last decade with enormous talent and a tough culture at the club,” Arthur said.
“I can’t wait to start working with the playing group and coaching staff and I think my style of coaching compliments the brand of footy they play.”
“I’m highly appreciative of Geoff and the club for offering me this opportunity to work and learn from them and develop my coaching career.”
Head coach Geoff Toovey said Arthur is a perfect fit for the Sea Eagles.
“Brad has had recent experience at a couple of NRL clubs over the last few years and he brings a great depth of football knowledge and expertise to the club,” Toovey said.
“We had a number of outstanding applicants of which we think Brad was best suited to our needs.”
Arthur played rugby league for Parramatta’s SG Ball, Reserve Grade and Under 20s sides in the 1990s.
He will start work with the Sea Eagles on November 1.

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Toovey-takes-Arthur-as-assistant/65462

Here is another:

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/spo...ant-coach/

I'm pleased they're going with Arthur. A good choice.

I'll reserve judgement on this for a while. I'd like to know what happened with Parish; was he keen to leave? Were Manly happy to see him go..... why?
Arthur has made a point of saying it's only a "2 year deal" and after that he expects/hopes to be a head coach. Not really sure how committed he's going to be to the club as it sounds like he's only in it for his own best interests.
Perhaps that will mean in order further his own cause he'll do all he can to make us successful.... hope so. After being given the role and giving his first interview, I guess I'd just like to have heard him say that his number 1 priority was to help the football club.... not further his own coaching career.

I wouldn't be worried about any of that, Daddycool. A serious coach who is an up-and-comer in the ranks with genuine ambition is exactly what the role calls for.

Agreed with SER8. It wont do his cause any good by flopping and showing zero interest. Plus two years is a long time in footy! Just ask Freddy.

I think that Parish was eager to work with Stuart so we were happy to oblige his desires.

I like this signing. He turned the eels around somewhat towards the back end of the season which is no mean feat when Chris Sandow is your chief playmaker.

It was reported in an earlier post that Parish was replaced as assistant coach by months ago by Penna. Apparantly the players didn't think much of Parish so he is no loss.

Arthurs has been in the storm system and did a resonable job coaching parra for short time

Daddycool said:
I'll reserve judgement on this for a while. I'd like to know what happened with Parish; was he keen to leave? Were Manly happy to see him go..... why?
Arthur has made a point of saying it's only a "2 year deal" and after that he expects/hopes to be a head coach. Not really sure how committed he's going to be to the club as it sounds like he's only in it for his own best interests.
Perhaps that will mean in order further his own cause he'll do all he can to make us successful.... hope so. After being given the role and giving his first interview, I guess I'd just like to have heard him say that his number 1 priority was to help the football club.... not further his own coaching career.
Surely you cannot criticise him for his honesty, that has to be better than the bs lines other career coaches trot out

For Parish, regardless of whether our players liked him or not, being assistant to Stuart is a better career path. Stuart is so obviously limited that everyone will assume Parish is the brains behind any success the Eels do end up enjoying.

Parish was assistant coach to Stuart during the SOO and I presume that's why Parish has left to join him at the eels.

swoop said:
Parish was assistant coach to Stuart during the SOO and I presume that's why Parish has left to join him at the eels.

The Stuart/Parish combination has been so extremnely sucessfuly at SOO level - not. Both very overrated coaches and just what Parra deserve.

Daddycool said:

Parish left because he wanted to coach with Ricky Stuart. It's as simple as that. Parish has coached with Stuart in SoO for the last 2 years, even before he got the job at Manly.

What happened to Andrew johns? I was excited about the latest immortal taking a full time position in the fortress...

Congrats to Brad Arthur on getting the position. Nov 1 roll up your sleeves & get the boys fit & firing for season 2013.

Phoenix said:
What happened to Andrew johns? I was excited about the latest immortal taking a full time position in the fortress...

not a full-time gig but three days a week.

Pretty good IMO

Arthur puts childhood dislike aside to help Sea Eagles fly high

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/arthur-puts-childhood-dislike-aside-to-help-sea-eagles-fly-high-20121026-28b34.html#ixzz2AXZ86bDl

FORMER Parramatta coach Brad Arthur has joined arch rivals Manly as an assistant on a two-year deal.

Arthur will join Geoff Toovey's staff in a direct swap with his predecessor, Matt Parish, who will join Ricky Stuart at the Eels. It's expected Andrew Johns will round out the Sea Eagles' coaching staff - league's latest Immortal is working through the final details of a deal which will have him consult exclusively to Manly on a part-time basis.

Arthur was interviewed for the head coaching role at Wests Tigers and was also sounded out by South Sydney coach Michael Maguire about a shift to Redfern. Instead, he beat a host of candidates, including Phil Blake, Tony Iro and Stuart Raper, to join the 2011 premiers.

''Growing up as a Parramatta junior, I loved to hate Manly,'' quipped Arthur, who represented the Eels at SG Ball and under-21s level. ''It will be a weird feeling, the same when we play Melbourne, too, because of the nice competitive rivalry between the clubs.

''I'm just grateful that Geoff and the Manly club has given me an opportunity. I can further develop my coaching and learn from the senior players.''
Arthur had a taste of coaching at the highest level when he took over from Stephen Kearney at Parramatta with six games remaining in this season. The Eels won two of those matches while employing a more expansive game plan. Arthur hopes his latest role will provide him with the experience required to become a full-time head coach.

''I wouldn't have got the job if I didn't have a few things to offer and I see it is a stepping stone into something in a couple of years' time, hopefully,'' he said.
''I had four years in Melbourne and two years at Parramatta and I've signed on for two years in Manly.

''At the end of the two years - if I'm ready, the right job is there and someone is willing to give me a go - this is a definite step in the right direction.

''I love it, it's in my blood and I think I was born to be a coach.''
The former Batemans Bay and Cairns Brothers captain-coach believes the Sea Eagles are well positioned for more premiership success.
''The playing group is all quality, you only need to look at how many internationals and Origin players they've got. That was a key factor in the decision and will be beneficial for me,'' he said

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/arthur-puts-childhood-dislike-aside-to-help-sea-eagles-fly-high-20121026-28b34.html#ixzz2AXYwfgDg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4