TOOVEY the coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The hard things Tooves had to contend with was the state of the Manly Club in rabbles when he took over....plus stepping into a coaching role where Des was pretty much the messiah & did get fantastic results.
They are both passionate, similar vision of the game, ultra competitive & love the physical combat that WINS the big games.
The main difference imo - Des represents Des
Tooves represents Manly

Looking back on Des its as much disappointment as anger, the 1 thing that differentiates us at Manly from fair weather supporters like other teams & this runs from trainers, club legends like Arko, players like Beaver right down to the fans is allegiance & loyalty. Even on this Silvertails forum we dont always agree but share a common bond for life - unlike Des.
Tooves has my faith 100% in this regard & on top of great results could not be happier with him steering the ship.

A couple of posters here are either taking the piss, or have a very definite axe to grind.

As asked previously, who would they prefer to be coaching us?

Maybe they would like to get Peter Sharp, I hear he doesn't want to move to Perth with the Sharkies.

I remember reading earlier this year or last year that we should have replaced Tooves with Matt Elliot. I cannot remember who suggested it but it was a cracker.

Garts said:
I remember reading earlier this year or last year that we should have replaced Tooves with Matt Elliot. I cannot remember who suggested it but it was a cracker.

I can.

Do tell.

Elliot has hit a purple patch with the Warriors so he may well yet out perform Tooves this season

IMO Tooves is clearly the best coach in the comp even at this early stage of his career. In coming years he will only widen the gap.

Ryan said:
Your right Ralphie, but I'd suggest you not bother trying to prove that point. Ok, it's great winning in the season proper and all, and I'd much prefer that to losing all the way through - but in big games, we do appear to get out coached.

In fact, against good, top 4 teams we tend to struggle.

Have we been thrashed by any of the top 4 teams? With an ounce of luck we could have won those games where we lost by 6 or 8 points.

I know you despise Toovey but it tends to cloud you judgement.

Perhaps you'd rather have Ricky Stuart as coach?

As far as that dog is concerned he betrayed the club and the players and I wish him all the bad karma he deserves.

We had the dog leave and injuries to key players during the last couple of seasons.

If you go back and have a look at how many long term injuries we had when we won the 2 GF's compared to when we had long term injuries when we didn't win the gf and I'm comparing it during the dog's watch.

Look at season 2010 the run to the finals especially then getting flogged 28-0 by the Dragons in the finals. Also have a look at season 2009 and see what happened to Manly against the top teams.

Tooves is doing a great job and has the respect of the players.

Hasler had his time forget, toovey has no underground lair nor unlimited money to buy juniors with leagues club money.
But what he did in my opinion should go down in history the mob over at belmore had a underhanded plan to rape our coaching staff and then our players with get out clauses and back ended deals.
What they pricks did not count on was a man stepping with more passion for maroon and white than hasler, toovey was the man to get deals for snake, matai, Matty ballin, and the big one foz they wanted him bad and missed out.
We lost trex they cannot replicate our culture, he done this with no off season and many sleepness nights of calls. Jamie Lyon is about to re sign look at what he has done with horo, Lawrence or development of tafua.
He brought up the sinking ship done the unthinkable now the mob the planned it all seem ready to implode with Barba trouble making and pending move up .

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Ralphie said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
Ralphie said:
Success is judged by results in the big games.

1. 2012 WCC = fail
2. 1st 2012 Semi V Canterbury = fail
3. 2nd 2012 Semi V Nth Qld = pass (Hand of Foran)
4. 3rd 2012 Semi V scum = fail

I rate him at 25% so far. In fact I'll go as far as to say we have not won a single important game under Tooves without controversy.

I think he is a very good developing coach, but until we win a big game or two he will be just another coach on the up.

I classify every week a big game

So if we were to say.....finish 2nd on the competition ladder at the end of the regular season for the next three years, but go out the back door in the finals each year, then we would conclude that Tooves is a great coach.

The games that are important are the games that are pressure games against the best opposition. If we can't start winning those games, then I for one won't be able to rate Tooves any better than a Brian Smith who was unable to win a GF.

Your comparing Toovey to Brian Smith FMD

Both Roosters games with an ounce of luck we would have won

Souffs were also lucky to beat us as well in the first round

Btw Who do you classify as best opposition ?
As you know lots of clubs lift to play us

Ryan said:
and I'd much prefer that to losing all the way through

Then u should go and support Parra or the tigers

Maybe you should re-read what I said? I said in other words, I'd much rather us win consistently in the season proper, like we are, than losing all the way through. Hopefully that clears up the confusion? Love the old, "you should go support XYZ" statement rolled out of the garage like the vintage old vehicle it is though. Well done.

Now, there are facets of Toovey's coaching I have really grown to enjoy these past seasons. I love the fact he gives young guys a go. I love the fact we have continued to develop middle tier players into top tier athletes. I like the fact that the playing squad consistently supports Toovey, and he seems to have an affinity with them. I like the fact Toovey realises this is a spectator sport, and I feel he acknowledges the fans well.

BUT, I still say he inherited maybe the best backline in history. Forwards wise, as a collective, I can't remember us being so strong. I'd class Choc, Buhrer, Symonds, Horo & Stewart as almost the best we have ever had, and yeah, I remember when we had Beaver, Kosef and many others.

Then there are our halves.

Ok, maybe I set the bar way too high for us. Most definitely I see many positives I didn't at first with Toovey, and maybe a few things that I heard and saw tainted my opinion some time ago.

At the end of the day though, we have won one big game under his tenure, where the outcome had season ending ramifications for us. I think we as a club could do much better.

On paper, we are the best team in the comp. Easily.

niccipops said:
Think about where the team would be at now if Toovey hadn't stepped up to fill the role when Des walked out on his team, club and fans.
I really hope we win a premiership or five with Tooves but regardless of that him taking over as coach in late 2011 played a huge role in the Manly club staying strong, sticking together and moving on from Des.
Two thumbs up from me for Tooves.

Great point nicci. I have no doubt that if Tooves did not step up to the plate when Hasler defected, then our team would have been dismantled, as many people predicted. But Tooves, being a Manly boy through & through, was able to bring the boys together and continue on that bond that Des had created.

The dog had T-REX, Robbo, Will hopoate, King all season, Galavau all season and Rodney with basically the same backrow and almost the same backline. So your assessment is flawed.

BTW Ryan most of the salaries of the players went up by heaps and that's why we had to shed players i.e Will Hopoate and with T-dog's salary Toovey and his team recruited the likes of Horo, Lawrence, Symonds etc at bargain prices and are now regular 1st graders.

I don't remember the dog having too many issues with the salary cap. Paid a motsa for T-dog and the great coach has him playing like a reserve grader.

Did you look at the results of the 2009 and 2010 games against the top teams where is some cases we were flogged.

This year we've lost to the top teams by no more than 12 points and with the rub of the green could have won most those games. Our defence has been good as well.

Get over your dislike of Toovey, we are 3rd on the ladder but that's not good enough for you.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6