Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Geoff Toovey has been asked by the board to take up the CEO position.
Toovey is unsure about taking it up at the moment as it wont allow him to spend the time he would like with his daughter.
If Geoff knocks it back pat Wilson is expected to take on the role.

Can't they look to someone with the background of CEO rather than to someone who has spent the majority of their adulthood on a football field? Toovey is still one of my all time heroes but surely we can find a more suitable candidate to take this business forward.

Going back to Pat Wilson is not a great move.  He didn't set the world on fire and has a union in his blood.  they're looking for a CEO for Queensland Rugby, he should try for that one as his mediocrity would sit well with the parlous Reds set-up.

I'm currently available.  LOL

I have a bit of "nous" when it comes to business, havig owned and managed one since 1975.

I think Geoff Toovey would be a backward step, NOT because he coudn't manage the job (he is a qualified accountant after all), and NOT because I don't like him (quite the opposite he's one of our legends I feel) but I think he is way to "close" to the current players and coaching staff to be considered for this job.

It can be a tough job (I knew Grant quite well and he told me many times at the difficult nature of the negotiations / contracts etc etc) and he's (Tooves) far too connected with the current squad and coaching staff to be "independant".

Surely someone outside of the industry would be better.

There's a story on the Telegraph website about Toovs.  The job is his if he wants it.

I agree with what Mark says, he's too 'in the family' as it were. 
Won't go on because i know hardly anything about this kinda stuff, but i do know that Wilson being favourite outside of Toovey isn't a good sign.

I hope it's a beat up

The problem being the free sandwich brigade (sorry Vid not referring to you..) who are on the CEO selection panel are hoping to appoint someone who has sympathies for the football club & its operation and business accumen or suitability will run a clear second.

Tooves is a f/c director while I am guessing Wilson has ties from his time at the helm a few years ago.

Personally I would prefer Tooves be our next coach and selecting Wilson who hardly set the world on fire last time is beyond reasoning.

My suggestion would be to look to the AFL community - they do membership & corporate sponsorship very well.  Additionally an outisder would not be hamstrung by ownership factions & old school loyalities.

Geez I thought this was a post about getting Toovey to lace up again so we can let Orford go.

Disappointed  :mad:

The Wheel link said:
My suggestion would be to look to the AFL community - they do membership & corporate sponsorship very well.  Additionally an outisder would not be hamstrung by ownership factions & old school loyalities.

Mayer was an outsider and still got caught up in the bs.

Canteen Worker link said:
Interesting news Duffman? What is your source on this one???

CW I have posted to actual article form the telegraph today

Mayer didn't help his cause by not assisting the FC, and the CEO brief is to work with all areas of the club for the common good.

Tooves, outside of his family considerations, would also have to drop his coaching aspirations - something that he has worked on since his playing retirement. A CEO can't be running around in a fluro green vest with a water bottle. In all seriousness, he would make more money coaching long term if can be successful than he would as CEO.

I am a bit like Mark. I would prefer someone with skills at running a much, much larger similar business than ours and then having the vision to drag it up to a higher level.

Central Coast Eagle link said:
[quote author=The Wheel link=topic=181769.msg242490#msg242490 date=1253229242]

Mayer was an outsider and still got caught up in the bs.
[/quote]

Mayer was closely or became closley associated with Penn

I won't be a season ticket holder of a club that is lead by Pat "Yes, Mr Delmege" Wilson.

I'll downgrade to a normie member.

Pat Wilson couldn't bring on a sponsor that went out ready to sign on the dotted line....and who in the end went with Souths.

Jeez.

ManlyBacker link said:
Mayer didn't help his cause by not assisting the FC, and the CEO brief is to work with all areas of the club for the common good.
  The FC chose not to tie their membership to the Screaming Eagles packages.  they have only themselves to blame.  Now there are 6000 Screaming Eagles members and 600 FC ones.  Go figure. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4