Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Poola

Reserve Grader
Is it just me or is he adamant and arrogant in holding off on playing all his bench players till late in the game? What advantage did this ploy give us last year and what was the advantage tonight?

It baffles me.

This has been going on for years. Des started it. I don't see the point of it to be honest, especially if your bench is all forwards. Rotate them all, if they are good enough to be picked on the bench then they are good enough for a decent run.

Simon....i get the feeling the rest of the manly faithful just think to themselves that Tooves has it all in hand and he must be right.

Well, you & I both know this particular tactic (if we could call it that) is bollocks and must stop. We need ALL our players to put in & share the load and not be up against an unfair number of 17 in opposition.

Thanks for gettin it though :)

If they are going to use that tactic, then play an outside back as a reserve. So when brett goes down we don't have to weaken positions all over the park. 6-0 penalty count in second half, pfffft...way to get the other team back in the game...

In the modern game agreed its so fast its a mass disadvantage not to use all 17 players, fact is if we went on & won by 20 points would not be a worthy thread...
as a Toovey fan maybe he has a decent idea on what is needed & not prepared to slam him after a 2 point loss that AGAIN had many crucial decisions laced with poor refereeing decisions.

Umm..I'm sure I'll be shot to bits but...
we only had 16 players to choose from in the second half - Snake was worth two men and Hiku had an unhappy night so really only 15.5 players

StuBoot said:
Umm..I'm sure I'll be shot to bits but...
we only had 16 players to choose from in the second half - Snake was worth two men and Hiku had an unhappy night so really only 15.5 players

Thats 14.5

Poola said:
Is it just me or is he adamant and arrogant in holding off on playing all his bench players till late in the game? What advantage did this ploy give us last year and what was the advantage tonight?

It baffles me.

Dogsler and Tooves does it.
You don't remember Buhrer sitting on the bench for two entire games back in 2011 without playing one second under Dogsler?

Guess who coached Dogsler and Tooves?

Well, Bozo used to do it way back when too.
In the old days, when Bozo was playing, it's not uncommon for bench players not playing at all.

So how wrong are all three when they have all taken us to Grand Finals?

Hmm. Maybe we can be better coaches than them?

You said it perfectly Poola. No better example then the gf. Gower played what about the last 7 mins. We had second rowers fatigued n SBW running throu em. Yet an exact positional sub just sat on the bench. I can't see why toovs basically give the opposition an advantage playing one man down. Early in the season I thought toovs might do it deliberately to get players fit.

It might be to get the players fit but should never cost the team 2 points. I am devastated as we had that game and should never have been caught.

Ramrod said:
Poola said:

It baffles me.

Dogsler and Tooves does it.
You don't remember Buhrer sitting on the bench for two entire games back in 2011 without playing one second under Dogsler?

Guess who coached Dogsler and Tooves?

Well, Bozo used to do it way back when too.
In the old days, when Bozo was playing, it's not uncommon for bench players not playing at all.

So how wrong are all three when they have all taken us to Grand Finals?

Hmm. Maybe we can be better coaches than them?

There was no interchange back in Bozo's day, so replacements were permanent, therefore needed to be carefully thought through. The modern game is so much quicker and higher impact/more powerful that it's hard to compare even to the 90's during Bozo'z caching era. Personally I just don't see the point of giving the opposition a one man advantage for no reason.

I guess there is method to what seems madness. I wouldn't mind knowing what that method is that makes playing one man down so attractive though.

g'day all,perhaps when technical coach gets back from holiday he can enlighten the rest of us as to the theory or benefits behind the use of only three of the bench.Personally i dont understand it yet there must be some reason behind it so it would be interesting to know what a coaches reasoning is.
cheers mike

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8