Top 5 signings for 2015

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
Tallis BM
– January 28, 2015

The NRL season is just around the corner and there has been plenty of big name signings. Which player will make the biggest impact at their new club? Here's our Top 5...

5. Michael Ennis
Whilst Michael Ennis might not have the talent of the departing Michael Lichaa, playing over 200 NRL games for four different clubs has equipped him with the tools to drag the Sharks up the ladder. The way Ennis goes about his game has made him many enemies, yet none of them would fault his attitude. The 7-time State of Origin representative works hard every time he steps on the field and by all accounts works just as hard off it. His attitude doesn’t just breed work ethic but also raw, win-at-all-costs competitiveness. Whether it’s running around to make 40 tackles or a subtle twist of the knee, everything Ennis does on the field is to win.

He comes from a successful Bulldogs culture and can offer the Sharks much needed revitalization in their off field culture. The Sharks are desperately attempting to put the ASADA saga behind them and just like real Sharks, they’ll be craving fresh blood. Ennis along with other new signings such as Gerard Beale and Ben Barba will be fresh faces with fresh attitudes who won’t have the ASADA debacle hanging over their heads.
Beyond this, Ennis is still a quality player who will offer direction and organisation out of dummy half. He can also play 80 minutes will give the Sharks an extra forward on the bench. Playing for the Sharks will be a different challenge for Michael Ennis and the Sharks will be happy they got their man.

4. Blake Ferguson
With his ridiculous off field shenanigans it’s easy to forget just how good Blake Ferguson is. During his run of form that led to his solitary Origin appearance, Ferguson was the undisputed best centre in the NRL. He possesses the rare blend of pace, power and skill that you see in players like Jarryd Hayne and Greg Inglis. He boasts natural athleticism, silky ball skills and on field intelligence.

The Roosters were smart in only signing Ferguson to a one-year contract, minimizing the risk of the singing and providing motivation for Ferguson to prove himself. Ferguson has all the tools to not only succeed, but excel for the Roosters and reassert himself as one of Rugby Leagues premier players.

One of the many questions surrounding Ferguson’s arrival is the issue of where he’ll play. There’s a free spot on the wing, but a player with Ferguson’s skill set doesn’t belong on the wing. The other options for Trent Robinson are to shift Shaun Kenny-Dowall to the wing and play Ferguson at his natural centre, or to experiment with Ferguson at fullback. If Ferguson fires, the Roosters will have the best backline in the competition and if he really finds his feet, you can be sure Laurie Daley will be watching very closely.

3. Tariq Sims
Tariq Sims isn’t a kid anymore. He turns 25 next month and is about to enter his 5th season of NRL. So far things haven’t gone according to the script for Tariq. He was one of Rugby League’s sensations in 2011 when he burst onto the scene. He was superb for the Cowboys and earmarked as an Origin candidate for the not-too distant future. His bone crushing tackles sent shivers down the spines of ball runners and his hole running, coupled with offloads, provided a constant threat down the edges. Tariq’s progress was sadly halted when he succumbed to injury, breaking his leg against the Sharks. He returned a few weeks into 2012 and it didn’t take him long to hit top gear. He was even chosen as 18th man for New South Wales before, believe it or not, his leg snapped once more. It was a tough road back for Sims but he had the mental toughness and work ethic to get back to full health.

2013 for Tariq was a real case of good but not great. He was solid for the Cowboys, alternating between starting and coming off the bench, but not quite reaching the heights expected. 2014 was a big improvement, while not always consistent, he reasserted himself as one of the first names on the team sheet. This led to him joining his brother Korbin at the Knights, where they’ll be expecting huge things of him. It’s time for him to develop into a star, he can provide energy and impact alongside workhorse Robbie Rochow and veteran Jeremy Smith. It’s important to note he’ll serve a suspension for the first month of the season, but expect him to be primed for an instant impact.

2. Brett Morris
It had been talked about for a long time and now it’s finally a reality. The Morris boys are back together. We are treated to the magic these brothers can create together for three nights a year during State of Origin. Now we get to see them week in week out. It’s an exciting proposition and while it wears the Dragons backline stocks a little thin, it makes the Bulldogs side look very dangerous.

Not only does Brett Morris reunite with his brother but he also joins a side crying out for a backline player of his ability. He’ll likely push Sam Perrett out to the flank, because while Perrett filled in admirably at fullback, he lacks the dynamism, athleticism and overall ability of Morris. Morris perhaps lacks the ball playing ability that many number 1’s seem to have in the modern game, but Des Hasler’s system of using forwards as ball players will allow Morris to focus on his damaging running game. Over the past two seasons the Dogs have had a pack with the size and tenacity to dominate any other pack, but not necessarily the backline to take advantage of it. The 10 time Origin representative will add flair and directness to a backline that really needs it. Hodkinson and Reynolds may not be the most creative, innovative halves combination, but they’ll provide the solidity and structure that Morris hasn’t had for years at the Dragons. If Brett Morris can be afforded the same time and space that Ben Barba was in 2012, expect sparks to fly.

1. Anthony Milford
The Brisbane Broncos have had some special players over the years, little Alfie Langer, Gorden Tallis, Petero Civoniceva, Wendell Sailor, Israel Folau, Darren Lockyer and that list could go on for a very long time. However there’s one little man that has the ability to surpass all of them.

In Anthony Milford’s short-lived 42 game career, he’s already racked up a highlight reel to rival anyone. Like many young players, Milford at times lacks consistency, can go missing in games and struggles in defence. However, he also provides moments of absolute, jaw dropping magic. Anthony Milford could’ve been playing under 20’s last season, instead he used his God given talent to score 12 four pointers, break the line on 16 occasions and set up 12 tries for his teammates. Remember he did all this while playing for a struggling Canberra side.

The Broncos became the subject of lighthearted ridicule when they signed Darius Boyd and Anthony Milford when they already had Ben Barba and Josh Hoffman -meaning they had four very capable fullbacks. Luckily Milford was under no threat with Wayne Bennett grooming him as a long term 5/8. However Barba and Hoffman moved clubs and Boyd suffered a potentially season ending injury, leaving Milford as the only natural fullback. However, Bennett may still play Milford in the halves, in the spirit of keeping an eye on the future. It’s possible Justin Hodges will fill in at the back and Milford will begin getting acclimatized to his long-term position. Milford will be playing alongside 2014 break out star Ben Hunt. The pair have the game breaking ability to destroy any defence and will be a treat to watch for the neutral. Milford has the world at his feet, he could crash and burn or he could be something great. With a side around him containing a blend of experience and youth, the guidance of one of Rugby League’s greatest ever coaches and ridiculous amounts of natural talent, I for one would be leaning towards the latter.

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/top-5-signings-for-2015-16252/#ixzz3QBhkQkks

Until Milford stops being a turnstile in defence I can't see how he can be the best signing in the NRL. Maybe Uncle Benny will buy him some shoulders in the preseason.

I do think Michael Ennis is a fantastic signing for the Sharks. He will add plenty to that side.

Agree with others that Feleti will be on the list at the end of the season. I think he will be like Soward signing for the Panthers, plenty thought it was a dud signing (me included) and he turned out to be the buy of the season.

None of them play for us. The top 5 signings sure sounds better if its more like. 1. Willie Mason 2. Feleti Mateo 3 Luke Burgess 4 Siosaia Vave 5 Joe Kelly.

Agreed. Except, I would have had Blake Leary in your list too!

On the other hand, wouldn't you think Choc would have got a mention in the original list?? He is going to add heaps to the eels pack. Just like I think Mason will inspire our young blokes, Watmough will have the eels firing. He should have been on that list!

Last edited:
I do think Michael Ennis is a fantastic signing for the Sharks. He will add plenty to that side.

Plenty of trouble !!!!

If there was a signing this year that has the potential to disrupt a clubs on field performance its Ennis. The sharks have enough to deal with, without Ennis' thoughtless on field antics that effect a teams dynamics. What he adds in tenacity is far and away subtracted by what he disrupts in a teams year long premiership build.

He is one of a select few that I would scream the house down if he was ever suggested to come to Manly.

Blake Ferguson undisputed best centre in the NRL??????. So good he couldnt get a start at centre for NSW. Honesty where do they come up with this garbage? I reckon Lyon and even Matai had his measure. Not to mention Jennings and a few others.

I'm sure that whenever a salt of the Earth, top of the line, NRL journo (or some bloke you've never heard of, Tallis BM, please. lol) thinks to himself, "Who is the best centre in the NRL?", of course Ferguson would spring straight to what little mind they have.

At his peak, he was still so far behind Lyon that Jamie's dust wasn't bothering him.

Articles posted on here from zerotackle should always come with a disclaimer.

Ferguson is a freakish player who has the ability to make something out of nothing & in this aspect he would be in the Inglis basket imo....however, massive problem! The thing called consistency is simply not there!! Looking at all the best players to lace up a boot as in Johns, Lewis, Thurston, Lyon - every game , in fact every play even off the ball they are involved & this is what makes them elite.
Ferguson is rocks & diamonds & this brings him not just back to the pack, but a match loser more so than a match winner....stupid claim, but dont blame the game...blame the journo....again!!

Blake Ferguson undisputed best centre in the NRL??????. So good he couldnt get a start at centre for NSW. Honesty where do they come up with this garbage? I reckon Lyon and even Matai had his measure. Not to mention Jennings and a few others.
Ferguson was selected for NSW but had trouble with the law etc. He was dropped and did not play on disciplinary reasons. Agree with the comments .. could be more highly rated if could get the mental stuff in place .. and his hands

Ferguson "the undisputed best centre in the NRL"......thanks, I needed a good laugh :rofl:

Better than Killer or Skivy? Better than Jennings or Josh Morris? Um, no.

Me thinks the writer has been eating some of Hyde's "special brownies".

I think Ferguson has massive potential, in fact I think he could be NSW's answer to Greg Inglis (especially now Hayne is gone). But that's all Ferguson really is, potential. I've seen some games where has just ripped teams apart, and then others where you really have thought 'is Ferguson playing?'.

Agree with others on here, do it for 10+ years like Killer and then we'll talk. With someone like Ferguson you can remember his good games. With someone like Killer you remember their bad games (because there are very very few of them...and it's a shock when it happens). Killer would rate 7 out of 10 in nearly every game he plays, with plenty of 8s and 9s in there as well. Ferguson would be 9, then 1,1,1,2,1,1. Then an 8, then 1,1,1,2,1.

Ferguson was selected for NSW but had trouble with the law etc. He was dropped and did not play on disciplinary reasons. Agree with the comments .. could be more highly rated if could get the mental stuff in place .. and his hands
he was on the wing though.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8