Top 8 and Spoon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I'm in a tipping comp and we've got to pick our top 8 and wooden spooners before this weekend for bonus points at end of season. Obviously we are a long way out with 20+ rounds to go and there are always the unknown factors of injury to crucial players. But I'd be interested in what peoples thoughts are on the way things are shaping up at this early stage.

What I'm thinking at the moment

Top 8 certs : Saints, Broncos, Manly, Bulldogs, Warriors

Probables: Titans (if Prince stays fit), Rabbitohs (but who can trust these clowns to produce for a full season), Raiders (defence is suss but they can score points), Storm (significantly weaker than last year IMO, but still have some good players)

No idea on what to expect from Cowboys, they were rubbish last year and their roster hasn't improved significantly. But do you discount a side with Thurston and Bowen in it ?

Knights are another that may or may not squeak in. I just don't rate Brian Smith as a coach so that clouds my judgement.

Roosters I'm leaning away from being a top 8 contender, but they do have their moments. Loosing Mini is a big negative for their cause, and it's hard to be bouyant about their chances with Mason in their side. Prefer others.

Panthers IMO aren't as bad as people are making out, and I think might be a smokey for the top 8 if they get some confidence going. They've got some good young players (Coote, Graham) and game breakers in Jennings and Pritchard. The negative is Sammut at halfback, not much chop IMO. Plus they don't have an experienced head to drive them around the field with a good kicking game.

Tigers I think will miss the top 8. Rely too much on Marshall and Farah. Bit of turmoil at the club as well to distract them further.

Sharks.......I just hate the Sharks so there is no way I'm going to put them in the top 8. The over achieved like hell last year and were found wanting when the whips were cracking. Don't rate Barrett so the only thing that will save them is Grub Gallen and Tupou. Outside backs are rubbish.

Eels are poo with a capital P. No side is going to win a comp with Jarryd Hayne at 5/8. Now that they've lost Finch they've got nothing. Mateo is about the only weapon in their arsenal. Morals for the wooden spoon I reckon.

Any feedback appreciated

I reckon the Broncs, Dragons, Storm, Manly and Warriors are absolute certs.

Then im confident the Dogs will be there, not as confident as I am of the teams above but reckon they will make it.

That leaves 2 spots.

Titans are better than they were last year and I think they should make it. Then its a toss up between the Bunnies and the Cowboys I reckon.

After 4 rounds who knows, the competition is so topsy turvey, bottom sides are beating top sides and then losing to other bottom sides the next week.

Suggest you get two coins and flip on each team, it's as good a guide as any!!

My top 8

1. Titans
2 Dragons
3. Broncos
4. Melbourne
5. Souths
6. Manly
7. Tigers
8. Knights

Spoon:
Parramatta

Nutzcraw link said:
My top 8

1. Titans
2 Dragons
3. Broncos
4. Melbourne
5. Souths
6. Manly
7. Tigers
8. Knights

Spoon:
Parramatta

You've got the TITS running first???  :eek:

Its a well though out 8. I'd have the worry-whores instead of Tiges.

Parra spoon for sure - they are starting to unravel....

The Slimey Eels are a genuine contender for the Spoon, Mr Fitzgerald does it again.....I am SO pleased I am not a Parramatta fan.

Yeah mate I got the Titans running first.

You could be right about the warriors... they should get in. I'll stick with the tigers for now though.

Ended up going for the following. The top 6 could finish in any order, as I think it will be like last year when only a win or two will seperate the top 4 or 5. Wouldn't be surprised to see Raiders, Cowboys or Knights sneak in ahead of Bunnies.

Broncos
Dragons
Storm
Warriors
Manly
Bulldogs
Titans
Rabbitohs

Spoon: Parradoesn'tmatta

Warriors were a massive, massive disappointment this year. Maybe the Sonny Fai thing had a bigger effect than we thought. As I said above, Parra were never going to win anything with the myth Hayne at 5/8. Anderson saw the light and their season turned around. 6 out of 8 ain't to bad.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4