Top halfbacks in the NRL (ROthfield blog)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
You can’t win an NRL premiership without a gun half-back.

It’s been proven every season that an outstanding No 7 is the first requirement to build a premiership winning side.

Today I list how I think each club’s halfback stacks up. Join me at 1pm today and tell me if you agree.

Send questions and comments now

1 Johnathon Thurston (Cowboys)

2 Cooper Cronk (Storm)

3 Scott Prince (Titans)

4 Mitchell Pearce (Roosters)

5 Brett Kimmorley (Bulldogs)

6 Ben Hornby (Dragons)

7 Daniel Mortimer (Eels)

8 Peter Wallace (Broncos)

9 Chris Sandow (Souths)

10 Luke Walsh (Panthers)

11 Trent Hodkinson (Manly)

12 Robert Lui (Tigers)

13 Tim Smith (Sharks)

14 Scott Dureau (Knights)

15 Josh McCrone (Raiders)

16 James Maloney (Warriors)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/top-halfbacks-in-the-nrl/story-e6frexnr-1225855741573

Agree BE.

I still am not convinced about Pearce, he is a great defender no doubt, but top 5 half back not sure what that could be judged on

So far Trent would have to be in the lead for rookie of the year.  Definately way better than Sandow and others above him but i can see why he's so low, only having played a couple, not enough for a true indication. 

Rothfield had Rick Stone on the bottom of his coaches list for the same reason so the fact Trent isn't last says he's REALLY going good guns.  I'm just loving watching this side go round the field, we really have a tight well-drilled unit.

I think that is a fair rating given Trent's performances and involvement to date. He has been taking a back seat to Foran and really is just a secondary option at the moment, Keiran has been the driver. A bit like Lui/Lazarus and Marshall, Dureau and Mullen, Campo and McCrone and probably Barrett and Smith. That's not to say that the situation won't change as I have noticed that Trent's involvement has increased week by week and with it his confidence is growing. He will need to show that he is capable of leading the attack and confidently driving the team around before he could be considered in the top 5. Hopefully by season end him and Foran are taking equal share and are providing two solid attacking/playmaking options.

These sort of ratings ignore what impact the player has on a team. Hodko is raw and improving. Hard to argue with most of the ratings though, except for Sandow maybe.

However this is from the guy who rated Jared WH as the 34th best player in the league, before a kick was taken this season, ahead of all the Manly forwards except Watmough!!!

Based on form Foran is probably only behind Marshall. Lockyer and Soward have been quite this year.

Fluffy link said:
wonder where Foran would rate in the 5/8s list right now

Moot point, he is playing as a halfback. He is inside Hodko 90+% of the time. Playing first receiver almost exclusively. Has even been feeding some scrums. He might be wearing 6 but you'd hardly say he is playing a traditional 5/8 role (whatever that is these days).

Dan link said:
Agree BE.

I still am not convinced about Pearce, he is a great defender no doubt, but top 5 half back not sure what that could be judged on

On form this season that is probably fair enough. Been watching a lot of him coz he is my fantasy halfback, and he has been class in all areas. Still has room to improve though

He cops a bit of flak at times, but it still has to be considered he is young than Hodkinson I think. If Trent was doing half the stuff Pearce has we would be over the moon

Good to see those last two posts removed from this thread.

I have removed two posts from this thread as they were both abusive and did nothing for the thread. (Those involved know who they are!)

Please note that Fro has been the resident 'spell- check' on this site for a long time and there has been a lot of fun and banter as a result. Talk on spelling and typos is all tongue-in-cheek and should not be taken too seriously.

Lighten up!!!

sorry CW someone prods I prod back, especially when that someone seems to be stalking my posts.

Try again Cliffy, or better yet don't bother reading my posts and I'll do the same with your drivel.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8