Top Young Players Off Contract to target to win premiership within a few years

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
Even with the best back line in the comp last year, Manly didn't have the forwards to deliver a premiership. Losing both halves and freeing up some cap space, why not build a young side that can win a premiership in a few years time. The great players of the past 10 years that have brought us 2 premierships and 4 GF appearances we're going to have to retire at some stage. It's been a golden period, and I feel very fortunate supporting such a successful side - now is the time to give our young players a chance, see what they can do?
Jake T, Michael Chee-Kam, Ligi Sao have there contracts up for renewal at the end of the year - and they haven't even been given a chance to see what they can do and whether we should re-sign them. Can they do any worse than last weeks performance.

Players on the market for next year I think we should target are;

Five-eighth/Half Back
Kane Elgey or Sezer. Elgey is young and looks very promising. Has a good head of his shoulders and has shown that he could be a real super-star. Might be hard to shift from Titans as they see him as a future star as well but would be a top signing. Don't think they will both sign, so hopefully pick up one. Elgey would be my preference.

Prop
Dylan Nappa. Again a promising good young prop they have ear-marked as a future rep player. Again will be hard to shift from roosters as he is a rooster junior and has a good relationship with Trent Robinson, but could be squeezed out due to salary cap pressure.
Korbin Sims. Hasn't had too much game time with Newcastle but a few devastating games last year and has some mongrel and is still only young and shouldn't demand that much.

Second Row

Adam Docker. This guy looks the goods! Big, young, hits hard, good work rate and very good defensive player. Is in the panthers future plans but with extra cash could convince him.

With possibly 1.8 million freed from DCE/Foran and cutting off some dead wood ie Hasson, Horo, Vave
could offer those 4 players around 400-500k and still have a host of young great players on the roster to build for the future ie Gutherson, Tom T, Jake T, Jamie B. Jack Littlejohn might even prove to be a reliable decent half. See how he goes on Saturday night.

Sign young stars in the making, re-sign current young players, aim for a premiership within a few years and have a young side that can be successful for the next 10 years.

Nice analysis but the figures are crazy. 400-500k for elgey and adam docker?

Maybe napa gets close to that but the rest? You could probably grab all of those guys for around 1mil total.

Anyway I dont think we have a chance at Napa. Roosters never lose a player they want to keep (SBW was always a rental).

Looks like you can cross Napa (he isn't a roosters junior he is a qld product) off the list and I read this morning that Sims has agreed 2 stay with the knights. **** this is depressing the only "quality" players so far leaving clubs are our 2.

Nice analysis but the figures are crazy. 400-500k for elgey and adam docker?

Maybe napa gets close to that but the rest? You could probably grab all of those guys for around 1mil total.

Anyway I dont think we have a chance at Napa. Roosters never lose a player they want to keep (SBW was always a rental).

If we could grab all four of those players for 1 million that would be a fantastic job! I think the only way future stars would leave their current team is with a very good upgrade in contract. The 400k-500k was just a rough figure at the higher end of the maximum we could throw at them. Elgey would be more like 300k. Nappa and Docker closer to 400k. Main argument was target young players with potential and build a side over the next couple of years that has the potential to win a premiership. That way you have spent the cap evenly over the whole team. May not win a premiership straight away, but you have a very solid team for the future.

Looks like you can cross Napa (he isn't a roosters junior he is a qld product) off the list and I read this morning that Sims has agreed 2 stay with the knights. **** this is depressing the only "quality" players so far leaving clubs are our 2.
Your right, 2 year extension for 350k a year. Nappa close to signing 3 year deal with Roosters. Wont be much left of the talent pool available. I just hope we don't spend overs for players like Trent Hokinson or Maloney just to cover the loss of DCE and Foran. I was hoping Manly could target youth while they don't demand too much cap.

The young Hindmarsh with extra aggression 2nd rower...surely the Eels cap is starting to pinch about now??
Napa yes, Docker - Yes, Tamou - at the right price.
Keep in mind a fit Jake Trjobovic is potentially as good as a new signing plus, if Ligi Sao steps up theres 2 more to hold us over till marquee quality becomes available, lets not get more plodders, as shown with NSW cup - simply not good enough to buy for the sake of it.
Also - dont discount the Pommy Super League - sure the majority are a waste of a plane trip but there is more of the Burgess, Ellis toughnuts you can weed out....1 of my favourite alltime Manly forwards was Kevin Ward - thats the type of enforcer we could do with.....

I don't know much about Super League but are there any forwards over there in the Sam Burgess / James Graham mould? Considering the lack of talented forwards in Australia coming off contract, recruiting a forward or 2 from the UK could be an option. We could do with another Kevin Ward / Malcolm Reilly.

The young Hindmarsh with extra aggression 2nd rower...surely the Eels cap is starting to pinch about now??
Napa yes, Docker - Yes, Tamou - at the right price.
Keep in mind a fit Jake Trjobovic is potentially as good as a new signing plus, if Ligi Sao steps up theres 2 more to hold us over till marquee quality becomes available, lets not get more plodders, as shown with NSW cup - simply not good enough to buy for the sake of it.
Also - dont discount the Pommy Super League - sure the majority are a waste of a plane trip but there is more of the Burgess, Ellis toughnuts you can weed out....1 of my favourite alltime Manly forwards was Kevin Ward - thats the type of enforcer we could do with.....
Thanks man. I appreciate the love.

Even with the best back line in the comp last year, Manly didn't have the forwards to deliver a premiership. Losing both halves and freeing up some cap space, why not build a young side that can win a premiership in a few years time. The great players of the past 10 years that have brought us 2 premierships and 4 GF appearances we're going to have to retire at some stage. It's been a golden period, and I feel very fortunate supporting such a successful side - now is the time to give our young players a chance, see what they can do?
Jake T, Michael Chee-Kam, Ligi Sao have there contracts up for renewal at the end of the year - and they haven't even been given a chance to see what they can do and whether we should re-sign them. Can they do any worse than last weeks performance.

Players on the market for next year I think we should target are;

Five-eighth/Half Back
Kane Elgey or Sezer. Elgey is young and looks very promising. Has a good head of his shoulders and has shown that he could be a real super-star. Might be hard to shift from Titans as they see him as a future star as well but would be a top signing. Don't think they will both sign, so hopefully pick up one. Elgey would be my preference.

Prop
Dylan Nappa. Again a promising good young prop they have ear-marked as a future rep player. Again will be hard to shift from roosters as he is a rooster junior and has a good relationship with Trent Robinson, but could be squeezed out due to salary cap pressure.
Korbin Sims. Hasn't had too much game time with Newcastle but a few devastating games last year and has some mongrel and is still only young and shouldn't demand that much.

Second Row

Adam Docker. This guy looks the goods! Big, young, hits hard, good work rate and very good defensive player. Is in the panthers future plans but with extra cash could convince him.

With possibly 1.8 million freed from DCE/Foran and cutting off some dead wood ie Hasson, Horo, Vave
could offer those 4 players around 400-500k and still have a host of young great players on the roster to build for the future ie Gutherson, Tom T, Jake T, Jamie B. Jack Littlejohn might even prove to be a reliable decent half. See how he goes on Saturday night.

Sign young stars in the making, re-sign current young players, aim for a premiership within a few years and have a young side that can be successful for the next 10 years.

Is this plan to cover injuries to 5 of your forwards in the top 17 being out injured or suspended like last year?

Only way to do that is not pay for halves

Whatever happened to that young aboriginal lad we signed a few years back who was also a gun track n field athlete? he signed with us apparently cause we'd let him to his athletics as well?

Whatever happened to that young aboriginal lad we signed a few years back who was also a gun track n field athlete? he signed with us apparently cause we'd let him to his athletics as well?

Joshua Robinson is his name not sure what happened 2 him.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-joshua-robinson/story-e6frexnr-1226024633589

Actually if you read this story he is no longer with us US college

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...hip-via-facebook/story-fnii0hmo-1226827724022

Elgey looks the goods... But we'd have to be lucky to snare Elgey from the Tits, they will keep him and get Chez to take him under his wallet, i mean wing..

Is this plan to cover injuries to 5 of your forwards in the top 17 being out injured or suspended like last year?

Only way to do that is not pay for halves

With that plan wasn't going after expensive halves. Sezer or preferably Elgey to play with JLJ or Rudolph. Recruit a few young potential rep forwards such as Napa, Docker, Sims. Bring through Jake T, potentially Sao, Chee-kam. Just looking at whats available without spending too much on only 2 big signings. Big Tom Burgees, JWH, Tamou are good players but will cost a great deal more. Same with Trent with sharks chasing him. Would be good to keep the majority of the young squad that show potential and look to build over the next 2 years with some key signings in areas we need to address, that wont break the bank.

We should definitely make Elgey an offer. The Titans will want to keep him and if he wants to stay, they probably will. That doesn't mean we can't bump up his price to an uncomfortable level.

I'm always happy to listen to other people's opinion's but I just can't see all the fuss over Tamou, I realise he's a big unit and he's had a couple of good seasons but I can't remember him doing much for the last 18 months...he's kind of reminds me of a front rower's Dave Taylor.

Elgey looks the goods... But we'd have to be lucky to snare Elgey from the Tits, they will keep him and get Chez to take him under his wallet, i mean wing..
Yes BUT, the kid isn't dumb, he knows he has buckleys of playing in the 7 jersey there for four years, and as long as we can keep Joey on staff who wouldn't want a shot at the 7 for the Eagles ( in terms of current NYC players).

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8