Tough GF in comparison.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Theres only been a couple of GF opponents to really have me worried in my time as a Manly supporter.
The Parra teams of the early 80,s where we could simply not compete with the classy backline led by Sterling, Ella, Groth & mainly that freak Kenny.
Super confident in beating the Raiders in 87 & deserved to win that by another 20 points.
All the mid 90's games was super confident when getting Illawarra in 3rd gear & after dominating the other 2 seasons at that time got pipped last 2nd by a drugged up Newcastle & saved the worst for last against the Dogs in the other.
The 2007 against the cap cheating purples does not count , though will always remember taking out Snake illegally in that game.
2008 was super confident after belting Storm physically last game Brooky, could tell the boys knew they had them covered & without Smith & poor finals form were always going to murder them.
2011 was a matter of how much against NZ who were outclassed all over the paddock.
2013 has me nervous & excited with the challenge against a quality Roosters team as tough as it gets.
Have struggled to work out a way through but theres a feeling Manly will find the keys to the door come Sunday.
The thing is the Roosters have plenty of their own ammo also.
We will get them but this is up in the Super hard category imo.

This GF is definitely not a given however I am still confident that we will win with a few late tries. Roosters Manly half time full time double, Manly 13+

Agree. Much less confident of this game then against Souths who I thought were over-rated and psyhcologically vulnerable. That Topou Folau-impersonation in the Knights game was a bit scary, considering our wingers are not the best in contested high kicks. Also the speed of the Roosters forwards, especially Friend.
Still I am hoping the Roosters may also be a bit over-awed or scarred from their losing GF in 2010. I trust our team and think we probably learned more from the last game against them then they did.
Could see us having a rivalry with the Roosters for top of the tree over the next few seasons now the Storm is hopefully petering out.

This seems to me very much about which team takes their opportunities, or pieces of luck.

And alternatively which team lets an early try, or piece of bad luck (refereeing) knock them around.

I think both teams are very evenly matched, and whilst I know we have been talking of a potential classic grand final, I can see us getting on top (much like in 08) and then seeing a landslide of points. Not 40-0, but could see us go in at the break at say 12-6 or 14-6 up and then scoring a quick try after the break and the Roosters just folding.

This is going to be a close one all the way to the end

Neither team will be home until after the 70th minute

This is more like 2011 to me than 2008, where Manly still had some lingering doubts about themselves.;)

I expect Manly to get out to a good lead, then to throttle their chicken necks and enjoy the last 20 minutes of the GF, confident that the Glorious Old Bastards have prevailed against all tipsters :cool:

4 more sleeps :)

MOM Killer :angel:- unless the SBW man crush by Nein, gets him the Bradley Clyde award for Player from the losing Team:-/

I have to agree with all of the above MK (although can't remember those 80's games). Roosters have me concerned far more than Warriors 2 years ago. The fact that the Roosters were there recently (2010) makes me think this will help them too, they won't have forgotten that, like we didn't forget 2007. They have class, speed, skill and size all over the paddock, and we will have to be a couple of gears up on last Friday in order to beat them. I feel if we can just hold their pack, our backline class will shine through and win it for us.

Really looking forward to this game. Has the potential to go down as one of the great grand finals of the modern era. I'm nervous and hopeful, but by no means confident. Not like 2011 which saw me drunk by halftime because the Warriors were never going to trouble us.

I don't know if I'll be able to drink this year because I have a feeling that this is going to go down to the wire and may well be one of those sporting moments that will be remembered for years to come. I want to be able to say that I was there AND remember clearly Manly's glorious victory.

Should be a cracker.

Chip and Chase said:
I want to be able to say that I was there AND remember clearly Manly's glorious victory.

or if you don't you can always record it and watch it later. :p

As long as we keep the Roosters playing catch up the more they will faulter.

Pearce will wander again, the ball wont be clean and mistakes will happen. we cant start like we did against the Rabbits on Friday.

Go Manly this one will be sweet

We were so superior to Easts in the 1st semi, yet couldn't score. This time we must:
1. Take any penalty shots at goal. If we can click up a few two-pointers then Easts may re-consider their off-side defensive approach
2. Chip kick over, or grubber kick through, their defensive line. So many tries these days are scored by 'speculators'. Having Snake playing is a big plus for us because of his anticipation.

I think this match will come down to the bounce of the ball. I'm hopeful, but certainly not over-confident. However, I'll be guided by Mick from Queensland's prediction. What say ye, Mick?

Snake will have to beware being flattened in backplay / or following thru the kick/chip.

Will the professional fouler be sin binned ? Of course not. Lucky to get penalty.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Snake will have to beware being flattened in backplay / or following thru the kick/chip.

Will the professional fouler be sin binned ? Of course not. Lucky to get penalty.

Yep. Watchy for grubby tactics from Maloney.

The Who said:
We were so superior to Easts in the 1st semi, yet couldn't score. This time we must:
1. Take any penalty shots at goal. If we can click up a few two-pointers then Easts may re-consider their off-side defensive approach
2. Chip kick over, or grubber kick through, their defensive line. So many tries these days are scored by 'speculators'. Having Snake playing is a big plus for us because of his anticipation.

I think this match will come down to the bounce of the ball. I'm hopeful, but certainly not over-confident. However, I'll be guided by Mick from Queensland's prediction. What say ye, Mick?
I agree 100%
Mick - come in Mick
what's your assessment?

Unwanted stat? Manly has lost grand finals in every decade from the 1950's through to the 2000's (counting 1970 as the '70s decade).

As for this match, I expect us to win, but a loss wouldn't surprise. I'd rather be backing Manly than against us, but losing Richie is a late blow.

This year does have similarities to 2008. The Storm beat us 3 times that year (put 50 on us in a pre-season trial, plus the other 2). They had a star studded team, even without Smith (Inglis, Slater, Falou, Cronk) I wasn't confident at all. Their defence was almost impenetrable and I was wondering how we were going to score. The result is now rugby league folklore.

Manly had no right to beat Souths last week. Souths were clinical in beating their nemesis the Storm in the first final and were rested and ready. However, Manly's ability to maintain their composure and keep playing football when the pressure was on, ultimately wore down Souths and they cracked.

As good as the Roosters were last week, the game didn't really break open until Buderus went off. He's such an important player for them, you could sense the Knights began to lose their self belief and the Roosters were able to run away with it.

It should be a terrific game. Physically & mentally, the Roosters are a tough side but Manly are tougher. I remember last week, plenty of Souths fans trying to argue, Manly's finals experience would count for little. Well.... how wrong they were.

It's fair to say, the Roosters have been ahead of us all year but the gap has narrowed and I'm confident Manly can finish in front and beat them on Sunday. As Manly fans, we've had some great times over the past 7 years in particular and another Premiership, considering the circumstances this year, would be something really special.

Always proud to be a Manly fan.... Go the Sea Eagles!

If we hold the ball, build pressure and play to our ability we will blow them off the park. All our losses to the Roosters this year was due to our bad ball control and not taking our chances. Our attitude and belief will be better than there's, they know we were the better team a couple of weeks ago and with snake back, they will be real nervous.

Lets just say its going to be tough, bloody tough.

As to who will win I really don't know, a lot points to the Roosters and some points to us.

This won't be like 2011, once we got into the GF that year we pretty much had it won.

Tomorrow will be VERY different.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4