Toyota Cup victory for Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
From rleague.com

A ruthless Manly outfit defeated the Pirtek Parramatta Eels 33-20 in the Toyota Cup, tries either side of the break followed by back to back four pointers midway through the second half enough to see the home side claim victory.

Daly Cherry-Evans was the standout for the ladder leading Sea Eagles, scoring two tries and kicking a field goal after he was initially not named in the Manly side for the match.

The Eels fought hard to remain in touch until 15 minutes from full time, when Manly kicked away.

Parramatta struck first through an unconverted try to Daniel Mortimer, however Manly hit straight back through back to back tries to Blake Davey and Daly Cherry-Evans to see them lead 10-4 after 12 minutes.

Nathan Gardner scored a copybook counter attacking try to see the Eels level it up in the 21st minute, The fullback picking up a Cherry-Evans grubber kick 20 metres out from his own line before splitting the defence and winning the race to score under the posts.

The Eagles got their noses in front shortly before the break, winger Mitch Porter crossing out wide for a 14-10 scoreline. They then opened the second half in a similar fashion with Darcy Lussick scoring under the posts after Cherry-Evans broke some flimsy defence 25 metres out.

Anthony Mitchell kept the Eels in the hunt with a beautiful solo try a little over 20 minutes out from full time, Mortimer adding the extras to see the visitors trailing by four at 20-16.

Replacement James Cunningham edged Manly out to a 10 point lead once again with a 67th minute try, while Cherry-Evans multiplied the Eels pain by scoring off a breakout down the right hand touchline, Porter's conversion making it 32-16 to Manly with 10 minutes remaining.

Domenic Nasso pegged one back for the Eels, before Cherry-Evans finished it off with an 80th minute field goal for a 33-20 full time score.

Manly 33 (Daly Cherry-Evans 2, Blake Davey, Mitch Porter, Darcy Lussick, James Cunnigham tries; Mitch Porter 4 goals from 6 attempts; Daly Cherry-Evans field goal) defeated the Pirtek Parramatta Eels 20 (Daniel Mortimer, Nathan Gardner, Anthony Mitchell, Domenic Nasso tries; Daniel Mortimer 2 goals from 4 attempts) At Brookvale Oval.

Darcy lussik!

Far out I remember when he was knee high to a grasshopper. He grew up in my street, Right next to the Harbord Bowling club. Far out. Good on him hey!

Its funny also Todd Wilson & Mark Paige used to play in my footy team, he now plays prop and back then he was a skinny centre. He probably wont get anywhere & next year probably another no name in the over 20 comp, but good on him for atleast getting to the under 20's side.

Note we played for christian brothers had a good rivalry with Avalon & Manly Cove who were full of Tongan supporters and we were undefeated for 4 years! Not that much of you guys care anyway but I'm actually surprised there wasn't more players from my team that made it.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6