Transition/Older player time 2010

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
noticing this year how age has really hurt our team. Orford injured all year, lyon has struggled as well, matai constantly hurt, perry didn't seem himself, chris bailey didn't fit in all year

I am worried of the make up of 2010 team, jamie and matai would have to be two of the slowest centres in the NRL, both score very few tries, lyon will have to play 5/8 next year as he will be even slower, where does that leave Foran,

orford/hodkinson 1/2 debate, who knows there, do we stay the same, try youth

Darcy Lussick has to come into 2nd row calculations, big and fast, runs wide, can make excellent yardage, much more attack focused than glenn stewart who hasn't the speed to make breaks, glenn is awesome in middle only

lock: glenn/bailey/buhrer: where do we go here?

William Hopoate: will be looking to play NRL next year, has played CENTRE before!! possibility

Farrar: solid but even after the other night, hasn't the pace or size to hurt teams, Idris would be good, Jennings, we need a dynamite centre which we haven't got, someone to cause fear out wide, running off choc etc

Tony Williams: lost this year but wing isn't the go, 21 year old, huge frame, cannot play backs anymore, I wonder what Des and Crusher thought, hard to see him in 2nd row?? defence is a massive problem, is he a case of too big for his own good??

Loads of questions for this summer, which future do we go? can Manly win with this older team in 2010, has our bubble burst? Does Hodkinson, Hopoate, Williams and lussick come in to freshen up with youth?? We will see??

Hi Johnny, hope all is good, bit windy down here in the Gong this morning!!

I did hear that Whare has really hit form the past few weeks, spoke to a mate at Woll Uni who knows some Dragons, reckons Saints are spewing about Whare leaving (as well as Linnett to Roosters) He said that Whare could be anything if he keeps getting stronger after major injuries 2 years ago. Gee, I'm going to cop it now lol, Whare isn't the biggest, Farrar size but has some toe so good option. 

It would be great if he comes good for us, a great option and probably cheap too (salary cap) Hopoate, Lussick, Hodkinson etc all on smaller dollars so that would help resign choc's etc

It all swings on getting rid of some high salary deadwood.  Kite and Ox for starters.  Hasler has an aversion for youth though. He seems to want to use old and out of form guys, than take a chance on youth.  2010 should be the season we really bite the bullet and transition some players.   

DSM5 link said:
It all swings on getting rid of some high salary deadwood.  Kite and Ox for starters.  Hasler has an aversion for youth though. He seems to want to use old and out of form guys, than take a chance on youth.  2010 should be the season we really bite the bullet and transition some players.   
  The Storm have done this well this year, but around a nucleus of players in their mid 20s.  Unfortunately our nucleus are closer to 30 so I hope we're not looking to replicate the Storm exactly.

Our players to build around wouldn't be that old would they Mata, with the exception of Orford

B.Stewart 23-4
Ballin 25
Watmough 26 ???
Lyon 27-8 ??

It pains me to say it Kiwi...but purely based on this years form and injuries, I don't think I could put Stewart and Ballin in Slater and Smiths category.
Also I have heard nothing to the contrary about Lyon still not carrying on with his plans to finish he's career in the ESL.

I read a while back that Lyon may be looking to extend his contract. With his kids around school age he may want to keep them here

I have no issue at all rating Stewart at least equal with Slater, with a full off season ahead he will only get better and should return to that form we saw in rounds 5 and 6. Stewart is also the key man in a lot of our backline moves as well

Ballin is obviously not in Smiths class though

I wasn't sure if lyon said he was staying or whether that was more wishful thinking that had been kicked around here on the forum.
I hope for our sake it's the former, and I have no problem comparing Stewart to Slater (or even better) in fact i feel Stewarts defencive capabilities having gone up a notch or two. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he regains his speed because it really does add that x factor to his game.

I looked on official site, here are ages:

in 2010;
Stewie: 25
Robbo: 27
Matai: 26
Lyon: 28
Williams: 24
Foran: 20
Orford: 32
Glenn: 26
Bailey: 28
Rodney: 26/27
Choc: 27
King: 29
Kite: 29
Perry: 29
Rose: 27
Ballin: 26

Others:
Hopoate: 18 (shivers)
Lussick: 21
Tony Williams: 21/22 (just)
Junior Palau: 23
Hodkinson: 22

Gee, just Foran brings down the average age, getting an old team, especially in the backs who rely on speed!

Based on Des' past performance he will stick with the same team next year when we will bomb out and probably not even make the semi's. 

2011 will be the year of our transition to the younger players who should be ready by then. 

Bailey and Williams have been dud buys for us this year and as much as I like Rodney I think that his body is saying that it has had enough football. 

From what i have heard I have doubts that orford will be around next year.  The club wants him for one year with a one year option but he knows that this might be his last contract and he wants to make it a big one.

He doesn't want to go to ESL but this may be the only option for him to bolster his super.

tookey link said:
2011 will be the year of our transition to the younger players who should be ready by then. 

That's if they hang around for that long.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4