Tuqiri Stays with Union

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Wallabies star Lote Tuqiri has re-signed with the Australian Rugby Union and NSW Waratahs for five years.

There had been a tug-of-war between rugby union and rugby league for the winger's services, with the South Sydney NRL club tabling a substantial offer.

But the 27-year-old confirmed his commitment to the Waratahs and the Wallabies shortly before the 5pm (AEDT) deadline set by the ARU today.

The deal was thought to be worth about $5 million, topped up by third party sponsorships.

"The signing is great news for rugby and we're relieved to have it out of the way so Lote and the team can concentrate on the Stormers this weekend," NSW Rugby Union chief executive Fraser Neill said.

"We put our best foot forward from the outset and we stuck with that because that's what we tried to do with all our contracts.

"This is probably the biggest decision that someone like Lote will make in his life and for sportsmen it's not the same ... when you move from job to job and your career's a bit longer.

"This will set him up for life.

"I don't think anyone could doubt Lote's passion for the game."

Tuqiri and the ARU had recently been at loggerheads with the former Brisbane Broncos flyer frequently appearing in the media as he was attempting to deal with a number of suitors in union and league.

It eventually came down to NSW and the Rabbitohs.

The ARU earned Tuqiri's ire by making a public statement last week saying their current offer was reduced from that made in November.

ARU chief executive Gary Flowers said it was a relief to have Tuqiri's signature locked away.

"It has been almost five months of uncertainty and speculation and for the sake of both Lote and Australian Rugby, it is a good thing a deal has finally been reached," he said.

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie admitted he was starting to feel the strain as the deadline approached.

"I've always been quietly confident but I was getting a little bit nervous there about ten to five," McKenzie said.

South Sydney co-owner Peter Holmes a Court said he'd left Monday morning's meeting with Tuqiri in a confident frame of mind, thinking the club had done enough with a package that would have seen the dual international pocket close to $1 million a year.

"We said from day one that we wanted to be there when he made a decision and I think we presented a compelling case to come to rugby league," Holmes a Court said.

"In the end he decided to go a different way."

took the easy way. big bucks and a garanteed national jumper. pussy. too soft for league now anyway.

took the easy way. big bucks and a garanteed national jumper. pussy. too soft for league now anyway.
You ****ing kidding.
You run at him or try and tackle the big bastard. What he needs to do is move to centre and get a bit more ball.

Well I hate 2 say I told u so but remember I stated he was staying in union about 2 weeks ago. Once again I have proved to b correct.

He is a good player but is being paid double what he is worth. he can't score a try in yawnyon so what are they paying him for?

He's a draw card for the crowds.
Everytime he gets the ball , which is not often enough, the crowd go nuts.

Waratahs in the bottom three, will fight it out with the reds for the wooden spoon. Go Tuqiri.

took the soft option, as good a player as he is, he is the big fish in a little pond now, that suits him. Hes the best outside back in the game there, depending which club he joined in League there would be debate if he was the best outside back in the team!

I still think he is one of the Bronco and Maroon greats. I can't tell you how much money he put in my pocket as try scorer for the bloody Queenslanders so i AM biased. However, $1.2M per season is just so huge it defies belief. Our top players get about 600k and that puts a huge drain on the salary cap. If Union has that sort of money to throw around, even with outside sponsorships, I think there will be more Leaguies throwing their CVs Union's way come contract negotiation time.

The only reason that the crowd goes nuts when he gets the ball is because the other 14 guys in his team are so fukcing boring.

seriously that game agains the Bulls, who ever the F*&^ they are looked like a reserve grade trial match or first game of the season, the inept handling/passing/tackling had to be seen to believe! We laughed all night, was great comedy!

[quote author=earl]

The only reason that the crowd goes nuts when he gets the ball is because the other 14 guys in his team are so fukcing boring.
[/quote]
I completely agree with you there Tooks.

[quote author=nodd]
You ****ing kidding.
You run at him or try and tackle the big bastard. What he needs to do is move to centre and get a bit more ball.
[/quote]

Well at least some one listens to me , cause I know the wife donesn't , but Lote is at centre for this Sat nights game.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4