TV rights and live games

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
Foxtel seem happy for Ten to get some live games. I cant wait for nine to not have such a big say in the game.
From http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tsaweek-coverage-planned-20150714-gibvtv.html
Channel Ten is likely to gain a share of the rugby league television market in the next broadcasting deal, with matches to be played over five nights and networks paying more for less.

The NRL's next TV deal, to begin in 2018, will be the last contract under which viewers will be able to see all games on free-to-air and pay TV, before some games are streamed exclusively on the internet, via mega-rich overseas interests, such as Netflix.

It represents the last opportunity by cable TV and the free-to-air networks, including a commercially secure Ten - should its partnership with Foxtel be approved - to use live sport to ward off the voracious internet challengers.

Advertisement
The AFL is also expected to benefit from the networks' desperation to secure their future, although the southern code is a step ahead of the NRL in guaranteeing its own, with a staff of 150 engaged in plans, concurrent with the rollout of the national broadband network, to produce games on AFL.com.

The intense bidding for rights to both codes, with the AFL's expiring a year earlier, is producing very complicated scenarios, with the most likely being Ten winning a game in both the NRL and AFL.

The NRL's program cover could see a Ten game on Thursday night, a Nine game on Friday night, three Fox Sports games on Saturday, two Nine games on Sunday and a Fox Sports Monday night game.

This would mean the end of Nine's Friday night double-header, which sees one game being shown live in the Sydney market at the same time as another is shown in Queensland.

Because of Queensland's entrenched parochialism, demonstrated by the bias to the northern teams (Broncos, Cowboys, Titans), as well as the Storm, Nine's Friday night game would have a Maroons flavour.

Nine's two Sunday games would be played live on Sunday afternoon and twilight, separated by the only other guarantees of ratings success, the nightly news or reality shows.

This schedule would not interfere with Fox Sports' Super Saturday, nor their Monday Night Football, which are essential to retaining subscribers.

Fox Sports would be surrendering its early Sunday afternoon game, effectively to Ten, and would seek something in return if the Rupert Murdoch-owned network is to pay more for less product.

It may demand a simulcast of all eight NRL games, as it currently does with Channel Seven and the AFL's nine-game coverage.

If Fox Sports was to lose a game in either NRL or AFL, it would pass it only to Ten, in which it now has a 15 per cent share, subject to ACCC approval.

Global Media and Sport's Colin Smith said: "The risks would be too great to surrender additional coverage to either of the other free-to-air incumbents. If Nine had more exclusive NRL or Seven had more exclusive AFL, Foxtel would lose subscribers, which is exactly what they must avoid.

"Foxtel/Fox Sports passing over one game per code to Ten in its weakened position, both in terms of TV ratings and financial performance, would be far less detrimental, especially if it is simulcast."

Nine would object to a simulcast but if Foxtel pays a hefty premium to get the rich rights deal over the line, it may agree.

Fox Sports, which is determined to do the best deal for itself independent of any future tie ups with Ten, will likely insist Ten receives the last pick of the eight games on offer per week.

The NRL will not want its Thursday night opening game beginning with a historically low-rating match, such as the Raiders, Knights or Warriors, but it has studied betting spreads in matches and is convinced it is producing the most even competition ever.

Nor would the AFL want its weekly coverage to begin with the Giants, Suns or Lions, although digital channels allow networks to broadcast games on their main channel to its primary market, while another program is shown on a digital channel.

For this reason, Nine's interest in AFL, or Seven's in NRL can't be discounted.

Nine has indicated it will bid for a Sunday afternoon AFL game, to be shown in the south on its main channel and in northern states on its digital channel, flip-flopping with its NRL game.

However, Fox Sports would strongly resist moves by Nine into AFL territory and Seven into NRL land, just as Nine will never surrender State of Origin to Seven.

"These will be the richest rights ever for both codes, but also the most complicated. If the ACCC do not approve News Corporation's investment in Ten, there may be no Ten," Smith said.

"This would leave only two FTA networks and Foxtel bidding, depressing the price and the investment both codes can make in their games, ultimately to the detriment of the viewer."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ge-planned-20150714-gibvtv.html#ixzz3fvgzpUbm

Channel nines monopoly on NRL games ending is going to be great for the game. I really hope Foxtel get simulcast for all games in the next tv rights.
I agree with this 100%, because the cynic in me see this:
The NRL will not want its Thursday night opening game beginning with a historically low-rating match, such as the Raiders, Knights or Warriors, but it has studied betting spreads in matches and is convinced it is producing the most even competition ever.
and I think of the ridiculous ebb and flow of penalties that rules a game these days.. And I wonder just how much influence that Channel NEIN has on the game these days??

Edit: must. remove. Tinfoil. Hat!!

I think its healthy to have a different network have games. I would rather the NRL have a mix of games on Monnday and Thursday nights rather than every round having a game on those nights.

2 school nights will help with TV viewing numbers I guess.

"Because of Queensland's entrenched parochialism, demonstrated by the bias to the northern teams (Broncos, Cowboys, Titans), as well as the Storm, Nine's Friday night game would have a Maroons flavour."

Do TVs in QLD only work on a Friday or something? Do they only get electricity one day a week and chose Friday so they can light up Suncorp Stadium? WHY DON'T RATINGS ON THURSDAY NIGHT MATTER IN QLD WHILE FRIDAY RATINGS ARE ALL IMPORTANT???

If the dic*heads at the nrl take away the Sunday 2pm game, that may just do me in.

I've been going to the footy every year since 1980 (on any day its scheduled) but like everyone, love the Sunday afternoon kickoff.

I've never seen so many people so disallusioned with the game now. Most people i know NEVER attend matches anymore and only 1 person goes now once or twice a year.

I never thought i'd say this but i have bought swans tickets for myself for the first time for this week. I've been once a few years ago with family but i'm so disallusioned that i want to have a stress free experience.

The Nrl never think about traditions or getting people to the game. It's all about making them stay at home and the tv rights.

This game will come crashing down if we don't get football loving men in head office to save the game for the fans.

We'll end up with regular crowds like mondays titans crowds if we're not carefull.

2 school nights will help with TV viewing numbers I guess.

"Because of Queensland's entrenched parochialism, demonstrated by the bias to the northern teams (Broncos, Cowboys, Titans), as well as the Storm, Nine's Friday night game would have a Maroons flavour."

Do TVs in QLD only work on a Friday or something? Do they only get electricity one day a week and chose Friday so they can light up Suncorp Stadium? WHY DON'T RATINGS ON THURSDAY NIGHT MATTER IN QLD WHILE FRIDAY RATINGS ARE ALL IMPORTANT???
At 4pm Friday arvo all of QLD shuts down for the weekend. No shops or places to do business are open. They then spend the rest of the weekend with the women making Pumkin scones and the men drinking XXXX and praising the great state of QLD. Just like Jo and Flo intended QLD to be.

Replace the Monday game with a 3pm Sunday game.
Thursday 7:30pm (free to air)
Friday 7:45pm (free to air)
Saturday 3pm (8pm Qld time during March) (Fox)
Saturday 5pm (Fox) better build up for the 7:30 game which is usually a higher quality fixture.
Saturday 7:30pm (Fox)
Sunday 2pm (free to air) (6pm during March NSW time)
Sunday 3pm (Fox) (Monday Night for March)
Sunday 4pm (Free to air)

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7