Unbelievably ... I agree with Gallen

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Gallen says the interchange should come down to six. Could not agree more. I find watching games against the ever rotating Lurch packs simply boring.

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/gallen-argues-for-reduced-interchange-15914/

If that rule had been around the last two seasons then we would have the forward pack to win the premiership, smaller, more mobile and can play longer minutes.... Unfortunately it would hurt the Dogs and Roosters too much now. Maybe in 4-5 years when they have time to change the forward pack they might consider it

greenburg has said that reducing the interchange would help players like buhrer really shine (and Manly) therefore it wont be reduced until clubs have time to adjust their rosters.

ie: the dogs get rid of their mammoth pack.

slime> the burg

Budgewoi Eagle said:
Gallen says the interchange should come down to six. Could not agree more. I find watching games against the ever rotating Lurch packs simply boring.

It would also allow players on peptides and other illegal substances that improve endurance to shine further.........

(Yes, yes, I know I am playing the man and not the ball)

Vyssini said:
Budgewoi Eagle said:

It would also allow players on peptides and other illegal substances that improve endurance to shine further.........

(Yes, yes, I know I am playing the man and not the ball)

At least he'll be fighting another former druggo in Anthony Watts on Wednesday night. I think Gallen will knock him out in the first round. Good on Watts trying to turn his life around though. I saw him jogging the other day...geez he's a unit.

Yeah that would definitely help the clubs with smaller more agile forwards.

We have a great roster to support less interchanges.

The reality is the game has changed alot. Hooker is a 80 minute role and most locks and second row play 60-80 mins anyway.

The main thing is the props will need to trim down.

I have been going on about this for as long as I can remember. Once they began increasing the number of interchanges the bench became the scourge of our game. Once you took fatigue in the forwards out of the equation the game was ruined. "Play makers" today may as well just be hookers feeding ball to the endless line of massive athletes carting it up. Whether it's out wide trampling over what used to be smaller players, or up the middle. It's getting to the stage where backlines are made up of players that wouldn't have been out of place in forward packs of the past.

This was introduced all in the name of "speeding the game up" and scoring more points. I guess I'm just an old purist but I never thought the game was boring when we had low scorelines. Some of the most titanic, edge of the seat struggles I have seen on the field had aggregate scores in single digits. Exciting stuff. Blowout scorelines like we see every week in the NRL are boring. Who really continues to watch a game when the score blows out? Not me, not unless it's Manly dishing it out. A game becomes boring when it ceases to be a contest. I used to watch at least 2 or 3 games a week. As it is now I will rarely watch an NRL game unless Manly is involved.

Some might think that the wrestle is the real scourge in our game. If you take the time to think about it you would realise that the wrestle was introduced for one reason - to slow the game down. The game as I knew it before all the interchanges were introduced didn't need slowing down. But some felt the need to speed it up. WTF for? All it has achieved is the introduction of athletic robots on to the field and dumbed the game down.

Gallen is 100% correct. Imagine how good our current halves would be back in the Lyons era.

Agreed with the reduced interchange but instead make it 6 replacements. Once you're off you can't come back on. Also reduce the 10 meters back to about 7m.

wombatgc said:
At least he'll be fighting another former druggo in Anthony Watts on Wednesday night. I think Gallen will knock him out in the first round. Good on Watts trying to turn his life around though. I saw him jogging the other day...geez he's a unit.

And first round it was.

globaleagle said:
wombatgc said:

And first round it was.

In Watts' defence though, a dislocated shoulder would pull most people up. Man that sounds painful.

Clint said:
globaleagle said:
wombatgc said:

And first round it was.

In Watts' defence though, a dislocated shoulder would pull most people up. Man that sounds painful.

I have dislocated my right shoulder 7 times. In each case they had to put me under to get it back in. The pain is indescribable and I was advised to get a shoulder reconstruction. In a past life I was running a Private Hospital so I went into surgery as an observer for a shoulder reconstruction. No way will that ever be done to me.

pfffft, I dislocate both my shoulders every morning just to warn my body not to screw around.

you wusses.

I'll be honest, I can't remember a prop since Glenn Lazarus (he of the Palmer United Party) who could and did play 80 minutes every week, even at the end of his career. And its not like Senator Brick with Eyes was a fitness fanatic like a Wayne Pearce or Des Hasler. Lazarus was (is) built more like Sam Backo than the modern day props like BJ.

If they are going to play around with the interchange numbers, then dropping the amount to 6 or at worst 8 wouldn't be a bad thing. I think they should also take a page from the AFL's play book and have one free interchange for a player who gets injured/concussed.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6