Used Car salesmen

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
So I am looking at trading in Speed racer, to see what I will get, and then buy Leanne a nice little small second hand car which will suit her better than our Tucson, then I can sell of my Tucson and get a ute or another car.

I hate used car salesmen and anyone who knows me in person, knows that whilst I am snappy at times :) I am actually very easy going and at times shy.

Anyway so I am looking at a car already and rang the guy today and started low balling him. I have him squirming a little as I looked at the car 2 weeks ago and he it's sticker price was $10,990. Today I ring him pretending to be a different person and he tells me sticker is $12,990 so I pulled him up on this and let him know who I was.

I also told him I am looking at a private sale comparable car for 8k, so was thinking about getting that.

He seems to dislike me now that i have caught him out on a lie, but am going to stick to my guns and try to get the car for $9k with 6 months rego chucked in + used car warranty.

Anyone got any advice or tactics they use with these blokes that might help?

If I don't get it for 9k with trade in and 6 months rego I won't be buying it so the walking out of the lot may well just be enough for me to get it at that price, but I know we have some bulldogs when it comes to prices and negotiation on the site, so thought it worth asking.

The other thing in my favour is I spoke to some mates last night that all work at, and one is a part owner of a car dealership up here, they said no cars are selling at the moment so just ask for whatever price you want, they may just give it to you, especially when it has been on the lot for 6 months

Dan

Having another car on the go is a good one. 

Another one I have done previously is to turn up with a mate who is a 'mechanic' and have them find a lot of things wrong with the car that will need to be 'fixed' immediately. 

If you get them to the point of hearing there is a grand worth of work needing to be done on the thing, you might be able to talk price better. 

You could also tell them you have just sold another car for $9000 - that is all the money you have to spend etc. 

Another good tactic is say the car is for Leanne (maybe it was, I got confused). She has her heart set on it but say she isn't worth blowing so much money on a car for her. Pretend that it is all too much and bugger the whole idea and start to head out the door. The real value will mysteriously appear when he realsies that it is possibly a lost cause. If that fails then switch tack and say that YOU like the car and now you just have to justify buying it for yourself.

Go shopping when the weather is bad, A car salesman i know told me that anyone who goes looking on an overcast day is fair dinkum and not just window shopping.

Wont help you much with this one as the initial contact has been made.

tell the guy if he is unwilling to negotiate and make the sale, you are entertaining the idea of buying a brand new car for 13-14k that will come with a 5 yr new car warranty (including free roadside assistance). That should put things in perspective for the grub.

I spoke to the guy yesterday, they had put the price up another grand, and I went in he wanted 10890 for it I just laughed at him, he asked why and I said, it was 10990 a few weeks ago, I got up and said call me when you want to sell the car, I am in no hurry.

I started walking out the door and his boss came out and said "are you letting him go" and I just said, when you are ready to sell it at a reasonable price, give me a call" and walked out.

I am in no hurry to buy it an I know it will stay on the lot for another 6 months, so I am just going to go in every month and ask them if they are ready to sell it yet, if I find another car in the meantime so be it, but otherwise, I am having fun toying with a scum of the earth salesman who clearly doesn't like me :)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4