Vale Frank Hyde

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
I heard of his passing this morning on tv . The youngsters won't know him but he was THE voice of RL for decades. In the days when radio was king wherever you were on a weekend it was always Frank we were listening to.

So Frank, may you be high enough, may you be long enough, and may you go straight between the golden gates.

Sad to hear as he was a good bloke. I used to deal with him when i worked in the Bank and he always loved a chat about footy.

Pity he couldn't have held on until Monday as he would have loved to have seen the bears play in the PL grand final on sunday.

Souths Reserves you mean Tookey?

Of course. That's why they are in the grand final. Souths reserves in red and black jumpers.

I wonder if they will have the little drummer boys? They wont have Barney the bear because I heard that someone stole the costume.

they are the souths premier league feeder, who are Peachey, Williams, Gordon etc contracted to? its not north sydney, they are SOUTHS players...

they are the souths premier league feeder, who are Peachey, Williams, Gordon etc contracted to? its not north sydney, they are SOUTHS players...

They still play in red and black and are the norths team even though they have souths players. I assue that their contracts state that they have to play for norths PL? Same as Melbourne with Norths brisbane as their feeder club.

I would rather support norths in PL than the parra scum.

Just some info on Frank:

Legendary rugby league caller Frank Hyde has died at the age of 91. Hyde died early today at a Sydney nursing home where he had been staying since suffering a stroke in July.

Family members say he watched Manly beat the North Queensland Cowboys in the preliminary final on Saturday night and lapsed into unconsciousness yesterday with the football on in the background.

In a distinguished football career, Hyde played for the Newtown Jets, Balmain Tigers, North Sydney Bears and NSW. He scored a try for the Tigers in their winning grand final in 1939, and captained NSW in the same year.

He was captain-coach of North Sydney the last time they reached the grand final in 1943, but they were well beaten by his original club Newtown.

Hyde began his radio career in 1953, calling games into a microphone set up on a card table on the sidelines.

He called 31 consecutive seasons for Sydney radio station 2SM without ever being beaten in the ratings.

His catch cry of ``It's long enough, it's high enough and it's straight between the posts'' became part of the fabric of the game.

"Frank Hyde was the voice of the game for so many people,'' NRL chief executive David Gallop said today.

"The technology has changed a lot since, along with the way the game is played, but Frank's ability to make people feel part of the action through his calls is one of his great legacies.''

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr described Hyde as a great gentleman. "Frank charmed everyone and he was one of the best judges of the game you could ever talk to. "His influence was enormous and there are generations of fans who, every time they watch a goal being kicked, to this day hear in their mind the words `it's long enough, it's high enough ...'.''

Hyde retired as a player in 1945 but continued coaching and became a qualified referee.

Although the Second World War robbed him of the chance of playing for Australia, Hyde led Kangaroos supporters tours and was always invited to reunion dinners.

He charmed people with his stories and renditions of Irish songs. He made a recording of Danny Boy which made it into the top 10 in the 1970s.

A devout Catholic throughout his life, Hyde is survived by six children, six grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Gaby, his wife of 64 years, died earlier this year.

He was awarded an MBE, an OAM, and the Dally M Life Achievement award.

Last year he was inducted into the radio hall of fame.

How often do you see one partner die and then the the other dies not long after. 64 years. Unbeleivable.

He was far better than the current crap calling football on radio.

He played for Norths, I thought he might have been their last winning captain. Yep, it was that long ago. And yes, Norths no longer exists as anything but Souths feeder club. Frank would have died to know that.

Maybe that thought brought on his untimely demise. Norths eaten by Souths. Wouldn't surprise me if Russ makes a play for his lifestory and wants to play the guy, alive that is.

Frank was the captain of the last Norths side to play in a Grand Final.

And he was 91. (Makes the wait for a Manly GF seem a lot shorter.

He was a great caller who had their rare quality in the media today: Humility. A loss to the game!!!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7