Video ref

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So based on that was the 'doubtful try to souths a try? I just saw the highlights very quickly.

If it was then OK, but if it wasn't it makes it hard to say the NRL aren't biased doesn't it?

Daddycool08 said:
So based on that was the 'doubtful try to souths a try? I just saw the highlights very quickly.

If it was then OK, but if it wasn't it makes it hard to say the NRL aren't biased doesn't it?

Very true, the BOD ruling was supposed to have been removed however now it is far more subjective as the on field refs dictate with what I believe to be a whole lot of bias. How many times do we get a video 'try but check' ruling. Invariably we get a 'no try but check'. The nrl sweetheart teams however usually get a 'try but check' ruling. I think the BOD ruling gave us more tries than the current ruling

Kiwi Eagle said:
Just heard something on the radio, apparently they are going to trial the video refs talking to the TV commentators to explain the calls they are making

Could be interesting

Obviously Dave Smith is a Silvertails reader. Posted this a cpl weeks ago!:)

RE: Another video ref clanger
Anyone catch the Instrust super cup game today between Cairns v Burleigh. Burleigh looked to have scored only to have it denied by the video ref, Tony Maksoud. Now even though I still think it was a try, what was interesting was the commentators then had Tony on air explaining why it wasn't a try in his opinion. Scott Sattler was even allowed to put forward his case and have Tony answer it. I think that would be a great initiative in the NRL. And bring Tony as well. He has always been a very good ref and judge of the game.

I think it will help. At least they're trying something.

Video Ref didn't see anything wrong with Buhrer's head being speared into the ground - the kids in hospital :mad:

MRC step up FFS:mad:

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
HappilyManly said:
Video Ref didn't see anything wrong with Buhrer's head being speared into the ground - the kids in hospital :mad:

MRC step up FFS:mad:

Looked like a classic spear tackle to me - the only thing that was missing was height. Hoping he'll be okay but he looked in a lot of pain.

The video ref has some explaining to do as to why Melbournes second try was allowed. Gifty taken out by Slater, and our whole defensive line is disrupted, and yet he allows them the try. What a ridiculous decision!

Andy1972
Manly Forever.

Hamster Huey said:
globaleagle said:
As long as the tv guys can't talk back! Though it may make interesting 'viewing.'

I cant get 'video ref killed the radio ref' outta my head.

Don't agree with it. Why not simply take the Union lead and have the VR mic'ced to explain to the ref why he's going with his decision, so that we hear it (imagine Harrigan a few years ago explaining the Gasnier 'try', "No, I don't see any separation there...". There is no need to involve the commentators.

Finally got to see the result this morning and I'm fine with it. I was under the impression that there would be exchange between the VR and commentators, but in the end I enjoyed the quick cross to the VR to justify. Doesn't mean I have to agree with his decisions!!!

Hamster Huey said:
Hamster Huey said:
globaleagle said:
As long as the tv guys can't talk back! Though it may make interesting 'viewing.'

I cant get 'video ref killed the radio ref' outta my head.

Don't agree with it. Why not simply take the Union lead and have the VR mic'ced to explain to the ref why he's going with his decision, so that we hear it (imagine Harrigan a few years ago explaining the Gasnier 'try', "No, I don't see any separation there...". There is no need to involve the commentators.

Finally got to see the result this morning and I'm fine with it. I was under the impression that there would be exchange between the VR and commentators, but in the end I enjoyed the quick cross to the VR to justify. Doesn't mean I have to agree with his decisions!!!

Yeah so stop pickin' on me! :p:p

This link, explaining there calls is a big thumbs up...... It's a lot easier to except a call if you have there reasoning explained.

I wonder what they would have said to this lol:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/video-the-worst-and-funniest-decision-ever-made-by-a-rugby-league-official/story-fndujljl-1226708905919

swoop said:
I wonder what they would have said to this lol:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/video-the-worst-and-funniest-decision-ever-made-by-a-rugby-league-official/story-fndujljl-1226708905919

For some unknown reason, I can't get that video to work in any browser (Firefox, Google Chrome or IE). It just sits there loading and does nothing else. I've tried disabling both NoScript and Adblock Plus add-ons in Firefox but that doesn't help either. I've tried on both our PC and Laptop with no luck. My ADSL modem/router must be blocking it. :(

What was said about the Drizzle's second try? At the match it looked like a joke - Slater ran out of the line and took out Gift. Surely this is foul play.
Was an explanation given?
Is this sort of play allowed now? If so, we'll have a cross between The Roller Game and Rugby League.

The Who said:
What was said about the Drizzle's second try? At the match it looked like a joke - Slater ran out of the line and took out Gift. Surely this is foul play.
Is this sort of play allowed now? If so, we'll have a cross between The Roller Game and Rugby League.

The explanation was that it had minimal to no impact on the try

Dan said:
The Who said:

Thanks Dan. But to my second point. Is it now legal for a player to rush out of the line and run into a defender? I didn't think so. Then again, I've only been watching RL for 50 years.

The Who said:
Dan said:
The Who said:

Thanks Dan. But to my second point. Is it now legal for a player to rush out of the line and run into a defender? I didn't think so. Then again, I've only been watching RL for 50 years.

I didn't say I agreed with the video ref, in fact my view on it is pasted throughout the many related topics.

Clearly the video ref has no idea of how a football defensive line works.

Dan

This weekend seemed to have a plethora of decisions the the video refs apparently got wrong.

Unless they decided just to go the opposite of what we could all see and what the tv commentators were saying.

Some real clangers in there!

The Rabbids was a classic one last night. GB actually scores - they call it a knock on. Then SB drops the ball short of the line, and they call it a try :huh:

Brandy's comment 'I'll just stop commentating on whether its a try or not till I see the Video Ref's Decision, as tonight I can not get it right' :p

Those ones last night were extraordinary.

The Merge were never going to win, but talk about when things go from bad to worse for a team.

I'm just struggling to find reasons why, when almost all other elements of the game have improved ( apart from commentary too as touched on elsewhere) the refereeing remains so substandard.

Obviously including the vidiots box.

I'm beginning to think the NRL are saving money and really have monkeys in there, or little kids up past their bed-time, all just randomly pressing red or green!

Or maybe it's Roy Masters... He seems to have his finger on the pulse of adjudication lately...or on something, I guess.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4