Warriors coach likes what he sees

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
The Warriors will head into a new NRL campaign with high expectations, but new coach Matthew Elliott says it's too early to make pronouncements about how quickly they will bounce back from their disappointing 2012 season.

Elliott was appointed four weeks ago as successor to Brian McClennan, who departed before the end of his first year in the job after the 2011 grand finalists slid to near the foot of the table.

The former Canberra and Penrith coach met the Warriors' players as a group for the first time this week at the start of pre-season training.

At the moment, he's taking more of an observer's role to allow the conditioning staff to get their work done.

But he's enthusiastic about what he's seen and the support he has had.

At the same time, he didn't want to make any "grandiose statement" about the Warriors' fortunes next year.

"I'm not really well equipped to say that yet," he said on Thursday.

"I've been here four days with the players."

However, Elliott added that he always preferred to take the view that every match is winnable, rather than the opposite one.

"If we lose the first game, there's still the possibility that we will win the next game," he said.

"We want to have high expectations. I don't see how that can hurt."

Elliott also said the appointment of the captain, a role held by Simon Mannering for the past three seasons, would be made after he had spent more time with the players.

"It will be an informed decision," he said.

Elliott has named one of his two assistants, New Zealand under-18 and Auckland Vulcans coach Ricky Henry.

He said his other assistant would be confirmed "soon".

Elliott admits it's been a "whirlwind" since his appointment.

"Obviously, I had to get staff and we had to look at what facilities to use," he said.

"There was a lot of logistical stuff to do initially, but I'm enjoying every second of it."

The short timeframe hadn't affected planning for the pre-season.

"If I was appointed two months before, we wouldn't be doing anything different than we are today," he said.

"While it intensified the amount of activity over a three or four-week period, we achieved the same stuff. I feel content."

Looking at the title of the thread I naturally assumed he was in Narrabeen watching the boys train and was just jealous.

Matthew is very zen. Might work at warriors........might not.

I don't mind Elliott, he seems pretty easy going. Probably fires up in the change rooms. Good luck to him!

mozgrame said:
"If we lose the first game, there's still the possibility that we will win the next game," he said.

"We want to have high expectations. I don't see how that can hurt."

Theres your problem, right there !

mozgrame said:
I don't mind Elliott, he seems pretty easy going. Probably fires up in the change rooms. Good luck to him!

Yep, I like him too, glad he got another gig in the NRL.
At least he calls it how he sees it and he's not afraid to go against the grain, always good for a quote.

I know i do enjoy watching him in the post-match press...he doesn't fuuck around with his thoughts on individuals or the media.

Warriors head coach Matthew Elliott rounded out his coaching staff on Saturday, naming former Canberra Raiders halfback Andrew McFadden as his second assistant for next season.

McFadden's appointment comes a week after Elliott confirmed New Zealand 18s and Vulcans coach Ricky Henry as the other assistant for his first campaign at the Warriors' helm.

Like Henry, McFadden is only 34, having ended his 100-game NRL playing career at the age of just 26 in 2004 after on-going problems with a chronic groin injury.

He not only played for Canberra under Elliott - in 2001 - but also made his way into coaching under Elliott's watch at the Raiders after his retirement.

McFadden was an assistant coach to David Furner at Canberra but has been released from his contract.

"I had a great time at Canberra as both a player and a coach but the chance to join Matt at a club like the Warriors is hugely exciting," he said.

"This club has so much going for it with a fantastic pool of talent to draw on."

McFadden's former Canberra teammate Ruben Wiki was named Warriors' strength and conditioning coach a week ago, joining head strength and conditioning coach Carl Jennings, who has worked with Elliott at Bradford, Canberra and Penrith.

Warriors great Stacey Jones is returning to his only NRL club, this time in a fulltime coaching and development role.

The 36-year-old, who scored 674 points in 261 games for the Warriors, is re-joining the Auckland-based club in the newly created role of junior recruitment and pathways coach.

Warriors general manager football operations Dean Bell said Jones was the perfect fit for a position that would extend to him working as a coach for the club's halves, including those in the first-grade squad.

Jones has had an association with the Warriors in 13 of their first 18 seasons of existence. He played a club record 12 seasons and was a part-time kicking coach in 2008.

He missed the 2006 and 2007 campaigns when he played for Les Catalans Dragons in the English Super League and the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons when he coached his old Point Chevalier club in the Auckland competition. More recently he has been the Auckland Rugby League's football development officer.

"I've learned so much working with the Auckland Rugby League recently and also coaching at grass-roots level with the Pirates," 46-Test veteran Jones said.

"There are so many good things going on with the club at the moment. I can't wait to be involved again with the new football staff and the new direction."

Jones assumes the development coach role from Willie Swann, who becomes Junior Warriors assistant coach alongside John Ackland.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6