Warriors pay tribute to Sonny Fai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
AAP

NRL players from the Warriors have made a poignant return to an Auckland beach which claimed the life of a teammate nearly three years ago.

The Warriors conducted a pre-season training session at Bethells Beach, west of Auckland, for the first time since forward Sonny Fai disappeared on January 4, 2009.

The gifted young player couldn't make it back to shore after helping rescue his brother and four cousins when they encountered difficulties in the surf. Fai's body was never recovered.

Players and staff from the club held a brief ceremony to honour Fai before a training session in the sand hills.

Bethells Beach was a traditional off-season training venue for the club but the Warriors hadn't used it since the Fai tragedy.

A club statement said Warriors stalwart and newly-appointed strength and conditioning coach Ruben Wiki encouraged the players to draw on Fai's spirit if they found themselves in a "dark place" during the gruelling training session.

Still remember it clearly. It was a sad day for the Warriors and NZ. I remember Steve Price crying at the press conference shortly after. Forever stick in my mind. I'm glad Manly have moved to honour Jason Annear and hope they do something for the first home game next year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4