Was the recent test against India the best test you've watched??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Nutzcraw

Bencher

It was for me.

It had everything.

Big effort for a team on 6/130 to win the match and especially in the dramatic circumstances it happened.

Thoroughly enjoyed that match.

How big a sook is Ponting though? He can't master Singh's bowling so he makes a mountain out of a molehill to get him banned.

So mucvh for "what happens on the field, stays on the field". I hope the Aussies lose the next test so they don't break the record held by Waugh's team. Waugh was a much better captain.

May I say... your an idiot??

You seriously think ponting wanted to get rid of singh for his own sake??

No way.

Do you think if Steve Waugh was captain he would have thrown Micheal Clarke the ball in the dying stages??

Steve Waugh is probably my 3rd favourite player of all time and probably equal second favourite captain with ponting (behind border) but what Ponting did was pretty ballsy.

Best test I have seen was the 2nd ashes test last season in Adelaide. This one is up there but the sh!tty umpiring in the 1st innings takes away from it, especially when Symonds was on 30 and definately out then went on to make 150+

So Racism is ok Matas?? I know you dont think that.

Harbhajan wouldnt have played the next test anyway, its in Perth and they wont play 2 spinners over there, and one of them is the captain so see yah turbanator

And as for the best test ever, not even close, it was overshadowed by the racism incedent and some deplorable umpiring decisions.

The ashes test in 2005 when kasprowicz (i think) got caught behind when we were nearly there springs to mind, as does the one in 82/83 in Melbourne where Border and Jeff Thompson got Australia to within a couple of runs before Thommo got caught on a rebound in the slips, then there was the one in Sri Lanka (or maybe Pakistan) which the opposition won at the death when Healy missed a ball and went for 4 byes 9 wickets down. or even last seasons adelaide test when England lost 400 wickets on the last day for Aus to win back the ashes.

Awesome Game? absolutely
Gripping and had me glued to the TV? for sure

But not the best ever.

Best test I have seen was the 2nd ashes test last season in Adelaide. This one is up there but the sh!tty umpiring in the 1st innings takes away from it, especially when Symonds was on 30 and definately out then went on to make 150+

I agree with all that.

So Racism is ok Matas?? I know you dont think that.
I cant see how calling a guy who looks like a big gorilla a monkey is racist.

I mean Monkeys come in lots of colours and it is hard for me to see how an Indian could be accused of racially taunting a black person for being black.

It would be like the Aussies calling a fat opponent a pig or along those lines imo.

It might be in bad taste but I dont see it as a racist thing

I wonder how many Indian players have been called currie munchers over the years.

UP it was a carry over from when Australia toured there, it has racist shades because of racial slurs like "porch Monkey" etc.

Whilst it may not be specifically racist, if Andrew symonds were not his colour etc, then he would not resemble a monkey and it is therefore racist

UP in India Monkey is a big Racist insult, Indians dont see themselves as black, Africans are beneath them they tend to think.

Watch Fox8 tonight, an Aussie goes Bolly or somethign like that, they show plenty of footage which will leave you in no doubt that Monkey is a racist taunt over there. and yes Dan it is "specifically racist"

Not the best test for me, too many garbage calls having a big influence for me.

That 2nd 05 Ashes test would be one better, the famous VVS/Dravid one another, was a game in 94 when NZ were chasing 125 to win, and Wasim and Waqar tore us a new one as well.

As for matas Waugh v Ponting debate, Waugh for me.

Nutz, would Waugh have thrown Clarke the ball, probably not. But that would have been because he wouldnt be giving Johnson so many overs when he is bowling rubbish, especially in the 1st innings. Stuart Clark was underbowled in this test

The context of the statement was that Symonds had just accosted (and sworn at) Singh for patting Lee's derriere. After he fired his broadside Signh told him to cool it and asked "why are you carrying on like a monkey"?

This is a fairly common statement in some 3rd world countries. Translated into Strine it would be "stop carrying on like a dickhead".

But Ponting saw red, no doubt fuelled by his frustration that he can't last more than 2 balls against Singh, and we get this debacle.

The usual Australian blindspot - they like to swagger and talk big but they've the usual thin-skin bought on by their cultural cringe.

so there are some circumstances where a racial sledge is acceptable?

Keep in mind guys I didn't saw "best test ever"

I said "Best test you've watched"
i.e - entertainment value

I regard the Adelaide test last year as the best in my lifetime.

so there are some circumstances where a racial sledge is acceptable?

I don't think it was (nor do I consider it) racist.

Interesting poll - particularly the results:

http://www.smh.com.au/polls/sport/form.html

Yeah Nutz, I knew what you meant, but still dont think it was the best I've watched, too many sideline issues in it for mine.

And yes the Adelaide one was a cracker

Matas that was so far from answering my question its not funny. It doesnt matter a tinkers cuss if you thought it was racist, unless you are Harbajan Singh or Andrew Symonds.

You are trying to tell me it was not intended to be a racial slur by Singh? and dont forget he has form using exactly the same remark.

Roebuck is spot on as usual:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/01/06/1199554486052.html?page=2

INDIA have been dudded. No one with the slightest enthusiasm for cricket will take the least satisfaction from the victory secured by the local team in an SCG Test that entertained spectators, provided some excellent batting but left a sour taste in the mouth.

It was a match that will have been relished only by rabid nationalists and others for whom victory and vengeance are the sole reasons for playing sport. Truth to tell, the last day was as bad as the first. It was a rotten contest that singularly failed to elevate the spirit.

You are trying to tell me it was not intended to be a racial slur by Singh? and dont forget he has form using exactly the same remark.

On the front page I gave the context of the conversation and its meaning in India. Symonds and Ponting need to grow up.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6