Watmough is a legend

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ceagle

Bencher
MANLY'S Test backrower Anthony Watmough has backed the board room decision to stand down Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler and urged his teammates to avoid getting involved in a mass exodus.

Fuming at the way the Sea Eagles have imploded since winning the grand final, Watmough reasoned the Hasler scenario was never going to work once the two-time premiership-winning coach signed with Canterbury-Bankstown for 2013.

Back in camp with the Kangaroos in Manchester after two days in Paris, the Australian lock labelled the current environment of in-fighting at Manly "disgusting".

"It's never really worked having a coach at one club when he's signed at another club," Watmough said.

"We've seen that in the past. I can't bag Dessie out, he's been a good bloke and he's been a good mentor to myself.

"It's still a bit of a shock but probably the [best] direction if the club stands him down is to get Tooves in there as quick as possible.

"In one way it's not a shock because it sort of had to happen.

"There's probably a bit of relief now if they do get rid of him that Tooves can take over and the boys can take his direction.

"Tooves is a great man and a great coach. We love Tooves, he's been there for a long time with us.

"We're not going to lose anything. We lost our coach but we've still got the same playing roster and the boys are always going to be solid to one another."

A one-club servant for the Sea Eagles, Watmough admitted the awkward situation at Narrabeen had him "rattled" before leaving for the four-week tour of England.

"It was always going to be difficult for Dessie to have the last year there and run the club," Watmough said.

"I suppose he's going to be trying to run two clubs at the same time.

"No one's really stoked with what's happening. It's happened. We spoke before I came over here when it was all the speculation about Dessie and the boys just wanted to stick solid.

"I personally was still a bit rattled by it before I came over here."

Asked about the possibility of teammate and Kiwi international Kieran Foran following Hasler to Canterbury-Bankstown, Watmough said: "I haven't spoke to him about it but there's always going to be people going everywhere.

"We all heard he was supposed to go to the Roosters before he re-signed with us and at the end of the day it came down to him playing with his mates.

"That was his decision. At the end of the day he wouldn't leave his mates for Dessie Hasler or anybody else.

"It's the bond we have. Dessie, the great man that he is, he didn't make that club everything it was.

"It was a great club before Dessie and the boys there at the moment they made it a great club.

"They made that great culture there. We'll still have that great culture."

Told Manly godfather Ken Arthurson and club legend Max Krilich had launched scathing attacks on Hasler, Watmough was diplomatic.

"They're entitled to their opinion. They've been there. Arko's the Godfather of rugby league so he's one guy who can have an opinion," Watmough said.

"I'm not going to bag Dessie out. I'm not going to tear him down or tear down what he's done.

"He did build a great culture there. But at the end of the day it was the people around him and the boys that were there that helped build that culture."

The Test lock fired a parting shot at all involved at the club when asked about the scenario of having only just been crowned NRL premiers before the boardroom blow-up and Hasler's departure.

"It's pretty disgusting. No one's really ever talked about the grand final since we won it," Watmough said.

"We've worked hard to get back to where we did and then it's all just sort of been up in shambles. There's probably a thousand people you can blame for that.

"The timing of it. It's not just Dessie's fault it's a lot of people's faults and it should have been handled a lot better than what it has."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/kangaroos-lock-anthony-watmough-disgusted-by-infighting-as-des-hasler-stood-down-by-manly-sea-eagles-board/story-e6frexnr-1226190801230

And Foxsports

Manly backrower Anthony Watmough has slammed club officials for allowing the Sea Eagles' NRL premiership win to be overshadowed by events off the field.

But the second-rower insisted the club could still thrive without Hasler at the helm.

Des Hasler was stood down from his head coaching role by the Sea Eagles on Wednesday for an alleged serious breach of contract amid speculation he had been enticing players and staff to follow him to Canterbury-Bankstown in 2013.

Young five-eighth Kieran Foran is one of several Manly stars with a get-out clause in his contract that would allow him to follow Hasler out of the door.

But Watmough insists the club will always be bigger than the coach and players will stay.

"The great man Dessie is, he didn't make our club everything it is," Watmough said from Australia's team

"It was a great club before him and we'll still have that great culture that's been built up over the years when he's gone.

"At the end of the day it comes down to (Foran) playing with his mates.

"It comes down to the blokes he wants to have a beer and a feed with, he wouldn't leave his mates for Dessie Hasler or anyone else."

Despite admitting the speculation over Hasler rattled him before flying to the UK for the Four Nations campaign, Watmough refused to put the boot into his former coach.

But he didn't miss when taking a swipe at the club's officials.

"There's probably a thousand people you can blame," Watmough said.

"The timing and everything about it, it is not all Dessie's fault, it should have been handled a lot better than it has.

"I can't bag Dessie out, he's a good bloke and a good mentor to myself, and a big help in my footy life.

"But it's never really worked having a coach leading one club when he is going to another.

"It's pretty disgusting, no one has talked about (winning) the grand final.

"We've worked hard to get back to where we did, and it's all a big shambles.

"At the end of the day Dessie can point us in the right direction but it's the boys that have that bond.

"And they'd have to look at their mate in the eye and then say to them they're going to leave for a member of the coaching staff."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/anthony-watmough-labels-manly-coaching-saga-disgusting-says-the-club-will-move-on-without-des-hasler/story-fn2mcuj6-1226190845958?from=public_rss

The last line does it for me

Isn't it funny all the people on here baggin Choc earlier in the year, wanting him sacked. He's taking it upon himself to keep the group together, and proved how much he loves the club.

Hats off to you Choc your a legend!

yer its nice to actally hear from someone in theteam speakout ,it kind of puts us at ease a bit,chocs definatey proved hes manly through and through
ateast we have 1 definate starter on the field next year ha ha ha :D:D:D

the mauler said:
Isn't it funny all the people on here baggin Choc earlier in the year, wanting him sacked. He's taking it upon himself to keep the group together, and proved how much he loves the club.

Most actually just thought it was stupid and hilarious,i didn't want him to miss a game for being a big kid

the mauler said:

I was one bagging choc, but to his credit since his last infringement has turned the corner, he has been great on and off the field and is showing how he's matured. Deserves all the accollades.

Showing all the signs of a future captain.

Look out Dogs when Manly play you, I know who I will be backing for MoM and first try scorer, I hate the saying but "the army of one" will decimate Frank The Skank, Two Inch Ennis, Tony Barba, Trent The Bent, and Fatbelly Eastwood and co.

At the end of the day I hope he is remembered in Menzies like endearment.

Whatmough is a legend , very passionate and Inspirational . He is a senior player and his philosophy would impact on the younger players like Foran.

Q: Who is the most inteligent, articulate and principled man in rugby league?

A: Anthony Watmough.

TBH of all the shocking events that have occurred over recent months, this is the one that has surprised me the most!

Full credit to Choc. Maybe it was playing with Beaver for all those years that instilled a stong sense of loyalty in him, or maybe he is just that kind of bloke. On thing is for sure, he has more ethics and morals in his little finger than his former coach, despite his "misdemeanour after misdemeanour after misdemeanour". Choc pissed on a glass window. Hasler pissed on his mates and the club that gave him everything he had.

He must have taken his dog, Misty, with him on tour:)
But you're right. He's Anthony Watmough, Unlikely Voice of Reason these days. And he has been from the first day this thing erupted.

BOZO said:
Whatmough is a legend , very passionate and Inspirational . He is a senior player and his philosophy would impact on the younger players like Foran.

Agreed

Choc and Foz are good mates so I think Choc could have some influence on the young bloke. One thing that the players have shown over the last 4 years is that they are very close. It goes back to the poker games (in the days of Burns, Menzies and co). Foran knows he can perform with these guys around him, the dogs are a massive unknown. At the end of the day he's going to make the decision that he thinks is best for him but there will be numerous factors that go into that decision. Choc could be a significant one of those factors.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6