Watmough rejects Ricky Stuart's SOO offer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
MANLY backrower Anthony Watmough's controversial omission from the NSW Origin squad has taken another intriguing twist, with the Test forward knocking back the role as the Blues' 18th man.

NSW coach Ricky Stuart wanted to call in Watmough, Tariq Sims and Aaron Woods to cover for injuries in the lead-up to Wednesday's Origin game.

Watmough knocked back the approach due to the fact he is carrying a shoulder injury and pointed to Sea Eagles doctor Paul Bloomfield having ruled him unavailable.

But the Kangaroo forward trained at Brookvale Oval yesterday and will be a key member of the Sea Eagles' push to beat the Roosters today.

Watmough is entitled to be fuming with being left out of the Blues squad given he's been in outstanding form for Manly and is a Test incumbent.

Blues coach Ricky Stuart telephoned Watmough last Sunday to tell him he would be overlooked with the simple message: "We're going in a different direction."

When The Sunday Telegraph contacted Watmough yesterday, the Test forward said: "I just want to get all my injuries right and I don't want to go in and if something happens not be 100 per cent."

After being called into the Blues' rookie camp in January to advise the youngsters, Watmough was entitled to be under the impression he was going to be a key member of the Blues squad as they look to end Queensland's reign.

Given what he's done for the Blues over the past three series, he's earned the right to be an automatic selection,

In seven appearances for the Blues, Watmough has always played the type of up-tempo, relentless football required in State of Origin.

After one man-of-the-match performance under Craig Bellamy in 2009, Watmough was labelled "super-human".

Glenn Stewart, Greg Bird and Luke Lewis form an imposing and well-balanced back row, but Watmough could be a damaging X-factor from the bench.

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey confirmed the Test forward would play for Manly today against the Roosters and was unaware of any underlying reasons behind Watmough declaring himself unavailable to be the Blues' 18th man.

"He's been training all week, he had restricted training earlier, but he's good as gold," Toovey said.

"I couldn't comment on the Origin stuff.

"He's been playing great football for us and I thought he was the type of player made for State of Origin."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/anthony-watmough-rejects-ricky-stuarts-state-of-origin-offer/story-e6frexnr-1226361004377

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4