We finally appear to have a goalkicker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Frank

Bencher
I think the most impressive thing about DCE was his radar like goalkicking. We have struggled in this area for a number of years now. DCE appears to be the answer.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
You reckon we have struggled mate ? Lyon was around 80% last year I thought ?

He never inspired me with confidence. Besides, I would think that the better kickers are kicking better than 80% these days.

Im pretty sure Lyon was in the top few percentage wise last year. Great to have another option in the side though

Looks a great goal kicker and his field goal was a cracker.Laugh that we've got a stack of quality goal kickers and them Tiggers have sh*t.
His general kicking game will be up with the best of them also..

Fair enough, Lyon's stats as a goal kicker measures up with the best. However, from what I saw today, I would go with the kid. DCE will have Ridge-like stats by the time his career ends.

Lyon is one of the top couple of kickers for starters. Rodney kicked all bar one when he deputised. Matai is a decent goal kick. What Manly games do you watch?

After Orford's goal kicking feats I guess we all have this gnawing feeling that they won't go over and it could cost the game. *waits for the entry of Shane*
Sensational kicking by DCE.

Yes I agree with both points. DCE looks to be a really good kicker but Lyon is also a very fine kicker to. The thing is, with Lyon's continual leg injuries I get the feeling he'd prefer someone else take the goal kicks but until DCE this season, Lyon was the best we had. I'd be happy for DCE to be the first choice kicker after today's display.

Captain of the Gate link said:
Lyon is one of the top couple of kickers for starters. Rodney kicked all bar one when he deputised. Matai is a decent goal kick. What Manly games do you watch?

I watch every game they play. I haven't bothered checking his stats but I challenge you to provide the evidence that he is one of the "top couple of kickers".

Don't get me wrong, I think Lyon is the most important player in our team and the odds of us winning diminish greatly when he's not on the field. However, unless he's right in front or marginally either side of the posts he doesn't inspire confidence. He's 50/50 at best on the extreme right-hand side of the field.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1300681180[/time]

The only stats I could find for last season were surprising to me. Although ranked 6th at that point Jamie's accuracy was listed as 84%. Much better than I thought. It's a pity that they don't keep stats for kicks out wide because that's where he worries me the most.

Having said that, DCE still strikes the ball nicely and he seems to put them straight over the dot from most places. I hope they persist with him when Lyon returns

I have been trying to search up the stats from last year but can't find them, am pretty sure Lyon was up around 83-86% and there wouldn't have been many ahead of him, maybe Gordon and Thurston

Kiwi Eagle link said:
I have been trying to search up the stats from last year but can't find them, am pretty sure Lyon was up around 83-86% and there wouldn't have been many ahead of him, maybe Gordon and Thurston

Your probably right. Funnily enough Thurston is another who I wouldn't have kicking for goal to save my life - yet his stats are right up there. Gordon, on the other hand, is a gun kicker and player.

Thurstons style is so different to everyone else, his stats were inflated when he went on that run of 25-30 goals straight

He seems to have mastered his banana conversions though.

Gordon is quality. Was strange to see Covell's stats so low his last couple of years coz he was outstanding when he 1st came into 1st grade

I was able to get the below from http://www.rleague.com/db/year/2010/national_rugby_league/stats.php and I have put it in a better format.

Player - Goals/Attempts - Percentage
Chris Sandow (Rabbitohs) 37/43 86.05% (24 games)
Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys) 43/50 86.00% (16 games)
Jarrod Croker (Canberra) 53/63 84.13% (26 games)
Luke Burt (Eels) 63/75 84.00% (22 games)
Kurt Gidley (Knights) 59/71 83.10% (16 games)
Michael Gordon (Panthers) 103/125 82.40% (25 games)
Scott Prince (Titans) 66/81 81.48% (21 games)
Jamie Lyon (Sea Eagles) 69/85 81.18% (22 games)
Bryson Goodwin (Bulldogs) 73/90 81.11% (23 games)
Todd Carney (Roosters) 95/118 80.51% (28 games)
Corey Parker (Broncos) 69/87 79.31% (20 games)
Mat Rogers (Titans) 15/19 78.95% (20 games)
Luke Covell (Cronulla) 17/22 77.27% (12 games)
James Maloney (Warriors) 73/98 74.49% (23 games)
Cameron Smith (Storm) 54/73 73.97% (20 games)
Jamie Soward (Dragons) 84/116 72.41% (25 games)
Terry Campese (Canberra) 28/39 71.79% (26 games)
Issac Luke (Rabbitohs) 46/65 70.77% (20 games)
John Williams (Cowboys) 16/24 66.67% (16 games)
Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers) 76/115 66.09% (27 games)

Burt and Gordon are considered snipers and Lyon is a percentage point behind them. I must say I am surprised Sandow is so high, whenever I watch Souffs he seems to miss anything past the 3/4 mark. Maybe its just a perception thing.

Also one of the reasons Sheens said he pick Lyon for Australia last year is cause he needed a consistant and reliable kicker.

Sandow only had 43 shots last year and I think for a time Luke had the yips over the ones in front and Sandow was taking them.  Would boost his average. 

Lyon is a fantastic goal kicker - so far so is DCE.

The statistics mean nothing really - If your wingers score the majority of your points out wide the your going to have a lower average.

I would prefer a one legged man to Orford kicking. (No disrespect to any one legged men out there.)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4