What a disgraceful article

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Matai a Joke
April 26, 2010

hp-main9.jpg

Matai-watch was all clear only days ago, but the boy who cried wolf is back to his best it seems.
For those who haven’t been following our coverage, Matai is the most injured player on the football field.
We’re not talking about injuries that put someone out of a game, we’re talking the kind of injuries that will see Matai clutch at an injury in what looks like agonizing pain – only to see him jump up seconds later in a laughable recovery.
It seems Matai uses this ploy to generally achieve penalties.
But what made things so laughable in the Manly game tonight, was Matai was down on the ground clutching at a shoulder – he was putting on such a big act, you thought he was ready to be stretchered off.
However, as the Eagles rallied and went on the attack – suddenly Matai jumped up in support and ran freely. Then jumped in the air to celebrate the Manly try, all but forgetting a seemingly serious injury.
The referees have obviously woken up to Matai’s cry wolf claims, the fans are well aware of it and even the commentators make light of Steve Matai injuries now.
It’s such a shame, Matai had a great game and is in good form – but he needs to cut the crap out of his game.
If you’re injured, you are genuinely injured. You either come off the field or soldier on without being soft.
This business of playing dead, jumping up and running freely, then playing dead again belongs in soccer.
What makes it even more unusual is that Matai is a hard hitter in defence. He doesn’t seem soft, but his business of crying wolf for penalties or attention is making him a laughing stock.
Sort it out Steve, or get off the field.

http://www.nrlnews.com/2010/04/26/matai-a-joke/

I responde with but I dont expect it to get answered
You Farkin lowlife what a disgraceful article,  do you watch Rugby League at all ?
Last weekend was the 1st time in 2010 that Steve Matai went down with a injury and it was after he was collared in a high shot that went unnoticed by the Refs
so if  you cant even put your name to your articles you may as well give it away you Keyboard hero,
John Gleis AKA Berkeley_eagle

Matai has got a long way to go before he matches the standard set by Ray Price.

I don't think too many would have ever accused price of faking. As it should be with Matai. both are no regard for the body type players (with a face like price's you could understand it though....)

The guy (or girl) who wrote this must be out to get Matai.  Pathetic journalism.  They obviously don't follow the game closely or they would know what sort of injuries Steve has battled through over the years.

Here's the follow up- another disgraceful article...(Sorry Dan I tried submitting the article but an error box came up when I clicked on the Submit Article link.)

Matai Watch: Training Drama
April 29, 2010
It seems even the Manly team-mates of Steve Matai are getting fed up with his antics, the Kiwi representative is apparently now performing his ‘cry wolf’ antics at training.

Click here to read our recent article on ‘Matai-watch’ – this was a follow up to a initial article on Matai’s constant on-field injury dramas last year.

Matai’s reputation was initially one of a hit-man, but its quickly turned to humpty-dumpty as the in-form centre continues to live in cotton wool around questionable injuries.

After supposedly having a serious injury during Monday nights game against the Titans, Matai was down receiving treatment and wriggling in agony, then suddenly jumped up in support as his team went on an attacking raid. Manly did score on that play, and rather than return to his treatment – Matai jumped with his team mates in celebration – seemingly forgetting the injury, but then quickly remembered to clutch at the problem.

Most think Matai is pulling the stunt to achieve penalties for his team, but referees and commentators alike have been a wake up to this for over 6 months.

Perhaps his pretend injuries are a ploy to get himself on lighter training duties through the week?

Now his ridiculous antics are causing flare up’s at Manly training.

Matai was running a training drill today in a ‘black shirt’ – indicating no contact from team mates. But apparently Glenn Stewart tackled him unknowingly and Matai lashed out in anger.

When asked about Matai, Hasler simply said it was a cork.

No wonder Stewart and the squad are fed up with the Kiwi centre. Anyone that cries at training over being accidentally hit on a cork – probably needs to have a good look at themselves.

The best thing for coach Des Hasler to do would be to get some former players to visit Matai and explain the pain they played through. Although it’s hard to imagine someone like John Sattler having any time for the likes of Matai, Sattler famously playing 80 minutes with a broken jaw.

At the moment, it seems Matai would call for a stretcher with even the hint of a toothache.

If he doesn’t sort this out quickly, it will continue to eat away at Manly team mates – who obviously have noticed what the public have been seeing for a long time.

http://www.nrlnews.com/2010/04/29/matai-watch-training-drama/

If he played for another side most of us would probably give Matai grief for going down all the time with his injuries only to be up a few minutes later.  Although not to the extent this fellow has. 

We all know that Stevie is one big contradiction. He runs the ball and hits harder than most players yet up until this year he was always receiving seemingly intense treatment from the trainer and then playing on a few minutes later.
I call it ""mummy's syndrome" where he just likes to get soothed and told eveythings all right (like the kid in the old dettol ad) and then he's back into it.

I even used to run a game with my niece and nephew to guess which part of his body he would clutch first during a game. To me it's just funny and it's ridiculuous for this bozo to question his manhood over it
when you see what else he does on the field.
To say he does it to get penalties is also inaccurate.

That follow up article just proves that he's just a troublemaker. Pretty tough not puttng your name to it.

matai will be one of those poor buggers who will hobble around for the rest of his life from around 30 when he retires (if he lasts that long).

grabbing your neck/shoulder after tackling someone: how is this trying to milk a penalty?

for the record, it was pretty early on that john bucknell smashed sattler's jaw. probably the first 10 mins or so. it was a tap move with alot of run arounds and dummy runners. sattler was one and bucknell elbowed him as he stood with back turned. tough bugger. more the stong silent type. matai is a bit more 'communicative' is all.

Gotta laugh at the clowns who run that site.
Matai made their 'team of the week' at the same time he is being rubbished for his injuries.

Centre: Steve Matai – As a player, many regard him as one of the dirtiest in the game, as a person, it’s much the other way around. Despite his ‘dirtiest player in the game’ tag, Matai had a good performance in the narrow loss to the Titans. Big hits as usual and he scored two tries. Whether or not the dirty tag stays with him remains to be seen.

At least Steve looks in agony when he feigns injury. This adds considerable drama and pathos to our matches and therefore increases attendances and tv ratings. Others - notably J Hayne - are so obviously pretending that it is not even a surprise when they immediately recover to run the length of the field. Those other types simply arouse scorn and derision.

On a serious note, I used to fret over Steve's health but I am getting used to the fact he just can't be stopped. I am certain he has fairly serious injuries but is so tough and/or stupid he let's his determination carry him through.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8