What Gallop said - and what he should have said.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/manly-anger-over-benji-marshalls-let-off/story-e6frg7mf-1226017311074

I've supported Gallop in the Carney and Marshall decisions, clearly there is no evidence for the NRL to suspend or fine either, but crikey he's got himself into hot water at the Marshall press conference yesterday.

Here's what Gallop said in relation to the Brett Stewart suspension:

"There was evidence of clear misconduct on the night that was separate to the allegation of sexual assault".

"We acted in relation to the misconduct that happened earlier in the night".

What Gallop SHOULD HAVE SAID yesterday:

"There was evidence of clear misconduct on the night that was separate to the allegation of sexual assault, but this only involved an alleged incident between Anthony Watmough and a sponsor. Regrettably I must now admit that as court evidence proved Brett Stewart was not involved in any incident at the club function, nor upon leaving the club function, where witnesses proved he quietly caught a cab home".

"We acted in relation to the misconduct that happened earlier in the night, but I clearly made a major mistake singling out and suspending Brett Stewart for 4 weeks. There might well have been some evidence to fine the club for misuse of alcohol at a club function, but there was no evidence, separate to the sexual assault allegation, to suspend Brett Stewart for anything whatsoever. I deeply regret the error of the Brett Stewart suspension and apologise unreservedly to Brett and the Manly club".

Amazing, from what I hear from non-fair dinkium RL supporters.
"Yeah but Brett Stewart was pi**ed. That's why he went home in a cab."

Unfortunately, David Gallop seems not to accept the fact that Brett wasn't blind rotten drunk. He still gives off the impression that he and the NRL Board were 100% correct in their decision to suspend and fine the Club 100k.

Would love Des to directly challenge Gallop's mantra.

e.g.

"Just because David Gallop continually alleges that Brett was guilty of serious misconduct at the launch does not make it true.  David Gallop's allegation that Brett Stewart was heavily intoxicated at the season launch is nothing more than unsubstantiated newspaper rumour.  David needs to stop spreading unsubstantiated rumours and give Stewart the same benefit of the doubt that he affords players like Todd and Benji. The contrast in his treatment of the players could not be any more stark."

Rex, you're absolutely correct.  Gallop continues to peddle the same old line, i.e. that Brett was drunk at the launch.  That was shown in court to be absolutely false.  As I have stated on other posts, the Crown Prosecutor in the case tried his hardest to show Brett legless.  Even the Judge told him to desist as it just wasn't there.  I can't understand why Gallop persists in this slander.  He needs to be challenged.   

I seem to recall the story was he was refused service at the bar, apparently that is misconduct.

Now i have been out and had a friend be refused service without even having a drink at all that night, is that misconduct?

Fluffy link said:
I seem to recall the story was he was refused service at the bar, apparently that is misconduct.

Now i have been out and had a friend be refused service without even having a drink at all that night, is that misconduct?

I read somewhere else that the whole team was refused service.  ie. the bar staff wanted to move the whole group to move on (which might not necessarily be because anyone was drunk).

The suspension handed down by Gallop would suggest that being refused service at a bar is the worst off-field incident any NRL player has ever been involved in, so we are very lucky the whole club wasn't suspended for 4 weeks.

It might be time for Dessie and Lowe to ask for a meeting with Gallop (or even suprise, suprise Gallop ask to meet them) and then they can hopefully sort this thing out once and for all.  Show him the facts and then discuss the exact reasons behind the decisions.  Wouldn't you think that Gallop and everyone else involved would want to move on from this and talk footy?  If he doesn't sort this out soon it will just be brought back up time and time again whenever a footballer gets into trouble off the field.

I can't recall any evidence being brought up in court about Brett being refused service, or that the whole group was asked to move on.  Brett and a small number walked from the bar to another before the group left.  He met up again with his brother at another hotel.   

Great thread and I agree with everything said. Every time I see Gallop on tv and he makes statements that would easily have applied to the Stewart treatment my rage starts rising. I am just finding it almost impossible to move past this one.

Perhaps the club could contact Gallop and offer not to sue if he apologizes, and then sue anyway... just make it a verbal agreement, in the past Gallop hasn't had much luck enforcing those.

I would 100% back Des/Lowe calling Gallop out on the lack of evidence that Brett breached the Code of Conduct.  In fact, I'll be disappointed if they say nothing.

Untill a few big names from the media question gallop on the matter and make him look stupid it's not going to go anywhere no matter how much des and the gang complain.

Untill that happens we just look like whingers. Most league fans couldnt care less about the injustice because it doesn't involve one of their players.

As DSM has stated previously surely there must be some form of legal recourse. Perhaps that's just what the club are gearing up to do.

Rex link said:
Would love Des to directly challenge Gallop's mantra.

e.g.

\"Just because David Gallop continually alleges that Brett was guilty of serious misconduct at the launch does not make it true.  David Gallop's allegation that Brett Stewart was heavily intoxicated at the season launch is nothing more than unsubstantiated newspaper rumour.  David needs to stop spreading unsubstantiated rumours and give Stewart the same benefit of the doubt that he affords players like Todd and Benji. The contrast in his treatment of the players could not be any more stark.\"

Sounds like that's pretty much what they did at the media conference today.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6