What I don't understand..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
What I don't understand about yesterday's game is that our game plan was the same as for every other team we have played over the last month.
I have seen Parramatta in the couple of games I have seen them this year, do the same, send their wingers infield like a rocket to "crunch" the ball player. We had no answer to that, no options.
Too many opposing teams target DCE (as they should) and we have not tried to adjust. At half time last night, we should have moved API to the halves, Brown to hooker and Walker to the centres (where he was anyway). Then played mid field plays either way to either playmaker. When we had big open side, API could have taken the heat off DCE to create.
Sadly, as we have known all year, we need a 5/8. You can only do what you can do, Walker was tried, Lyon is the best solution and now for next season.
But why didn't the coach try something different when things were not working out during the game. There are options.

We need a TV in the coaches box so our coaches can get on the run tips from the commentators. Problem solved. Top 8 here we come!

Seriously though, players aren't robots. The coaches can't spend all week simply programming them in the manner they want them to approach a game, and then reap the rewards.

Players at NRL level should have enough knowledge to understand the game and see what is unfolding before their own eyes, and adjust their game accordingly. If they take the field and continue with a game plan that just isn't working, they need to improvise and adapt.

That's where communication and on field leadership comes into it. Our guys need to learn how to play to the game when needed and not stick doggedly to a game plan that isn't working.

Any of us could coach the Qld SOO side to a win, because they all know their roles and know how to adjust and rectify what isn't working, not because we're all coaching gurus. TC being the exception, of course. ;)

I wonder if that's why some players sound almost surprised in after match interviews when they say, "Yeah, we just stuck to our game plan and it worked out well" ?

I don't know.

DCE got the game handed to him on a plate. The forwards made the yards up the middle and built a platform. We punished them through the ruck, but couldn't finish them off. If Lyon played-we win. I seriously wish he would go around for one more year. Oh, and last tackle options RUBBISH
mate you can talk a load of rubbish sometimes but you are spot on here... :)

mate you can talk a load of rubbish sometimes but you are spot on here... :)

I talk a load of rubbish most times because all the Einsteins on here (not this thread in particular, I like this thread) leave me bored silly. Occasionally, when reality seeps in, I feel obliged to contribute to a thread in a serious way, but I'm not sure this is the thread.

However, I find that reality is an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol. So I try to avoid that illusion. Perhaps I should abstain? I could never do that! As Ambrose Bierce (I'm sure we all know who that is, right?) once said...

"An abstainer is a weak person that yields to the temptation of denying himself pleasure".

Drink!

What I don't understand about yesterday's game is that our game plan was the same as for every other team we have played over the last month.
I have seen Parramatta in the couple of games I have seen them this year, do the same, send their wingers infield like a rocket to "crunch" the ball player. We had no answer to that, no options.
Too many opposing teams target DCE (as they should) and we have not tried to adjust. At half time last night, we should have moved API to the halves, Brown to hooker and Walker to the centres (where he was anyway). Then played mid field plays either way to either playmaker. When we had big open side, API could have taken the heat off DCE to create.
Sadly, as we have known all year, we need a 5/8. You can only do what you can do, Walker was tried, Lyon is the best solution and now for next season.
But why didn't the coach try something different when things were not working out during the game. There are options.
To spot and adjust tactics is why I thought they sat up in the stands as opposed ,except in stickys case , the sidelines to coach !?!?
Which brings me to the Easter Island statue....... Cartwright!!!
If Barrett is too caught up in the game , and he shouldn't be, to spot things WTF DOES Cartwright actually do ????

DCE got the game handed to him on a plate. The forwards made the yards up the middle and built a platform. We punished them through the ruck, but couldn't finish them off. If Lyon played-we win. I seriously wish he would go around for one more year. Oh, and last tackle options RUBBISH
Spot on mate we need a half that can not only show leadership but has the ability to close out a game. DCE clearly cannot do this so a really intelligent purchase needs to be made. God I would luv Crocker from Canberra to partner DCE. We would be unbeatable.

Because if we all knew the answers i would be out of a job.

To spot and adjust tactics is why I thought they sat up in the stands as opposed ,except in stickys case , the sidelines to coach !?!?
Which brings me to the Easter Island statue....... Cartwright!!!
If Barrett is too caught up in the game , and he shouldn't be, to spot things WTF DOES Cartwright actually do ????

I asked earlier what Cartwright does. What does he offer the club?

A lot gets said about halves and our lack of a dominant pairing, and rightly so, but what we are also lacking in is a solid 9 and 1 . Parcell is young and will improve given time. Api is a livewire and his energy is a positive, but his service from dummy half isn't solid. His passing is off target at times and he has mistakes in his game, possibly from his willingness to play adlib footy, which I like, but he isn't solid like a Cam Smith.

Snake seemingly giving up the ghost this year hasn't helped either. Tom is young and has some work to do on his defence, but he'll get there quickly. You can't lose players of Brett Stewart and Matt Ballin's experience and calibre, and expect to carry on with a couple of young blokes and a good fill in.

The other aspect that was really disappointing was Cherry's long kicking game. I understand that he was nearly always under pressure on the last play, but his kicks didn't find open space. Not even once, have a look, every single long kick went straight down the throat of either the winger or fullback. His long kicking game used to be very good, exceptional even. His placement has been well off for a while.

Any of us could coach the Qld SOO side to a win, because they all know their roles and know how to adjust and rectify what isn't working, not because we're all coaching gurus.
Ah, but could we coach them to lose?

Keeps Barrett company in the coach's box, full stop. At least that's all it appears he does...
On a serious note, that's a good question.

@ALinda that seems about it. How much are we paying this bloke?

No. He must be doing something hey? More importantly, why haven't you put any songs on the music thread in the general discussion forum? PM me if you don't know how, otherwise, I want to see you and anyone else over there in 5 minutes. Show us, ( @Moondog and myself predominantly) what you like. :rock:

He's a grub of the highest degree BUT you have to admire how Scam Smith manages games.

He does it for the Storm just about week in and week out, and he and Thurston are the biggest reasons QLD have won 10/11 in SOO.

Parcell will get there, and in my opinion will play for QLD within 5 years but we just have to have patience.

No doubt when we have a steady 1/6/7/9 we will start to turn a corner.

What was frustrating was Greg Alexander picked this up within about 10mins and said how Manly should react to counter this move. I know Brandy is a pretty shrewd operator, but why couldn't Barrett, Cartwright or whoever see this?
Greg Alexander would make a great coach

Smart and sees what is happening on the field very quickly

Unfortunately our slow dimwitted coaches haven't got a clue about changing tactics mid game and out $10m dollar man couldn't be bothered either because he is not worth what we are paying him.

Parra knew to target taufua and shut down DCE and TT and our attack was stopped We didn't adjust or have any alternatives because our coaches keep blaming injuries instead of their lack of game plans

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2