What to do about Fittler?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Aussie Battler

Reserve Grader
In the fair dinkum department, is it time for Channel Nine to say to Freddy it just aint working ? Like his coaching career it just doesn't cut it. His interview with Pearce the other night was borderline embarrassing, and had me turning over to the Swans. Johns' blokey stuff is barely manageable, but Fittler's is just plain dumb.

Aussie Battler said:
In the fair dinkum department, is it time for Channel Nine to say to Freddy it just aint working ? Like his coaching career it just doesn't cut it. His interview with Pearce the other night was borderline embarrassing, and had me turning over to the Swans. Johns' blokey stuff is barely manageable, but Fittler's is just plain dumb.

It wasn't borderline embarrassing, it was embarrassing.

CH9 should employ an elocution teacher but.
For Freddy & the boys but.

I've only had a basic education & even I know you don't put "but" at the end of a sentence....but. ;)

Just like good footballers don't necessarily make good coaches (Terry Lamb), good footballers even moreso don't make good comentators. Lewis' and Lockyer's comments are dull and predictable, but are at least harmless. When Fittler makes a comment, you wonder how he was such a good footballer, because it seems like he has no knowledge of the game at all. Will exclude Sterling from any such criticism.

torana355 said:
Rugby league commentary is a joke compared to the AFL. So unprofessional and it really is embarrassing.

Imagine a Dennis Cometti type calling the league, I think it would be awesome - but he wouldn't appeal to all.

I'm not an AFL fan, but gee they do a better job of the whole thing.

Better commentators, no crapping on, and very little of the "Roosters Lovefest, Jizzathon" we saw on Friday.

And its no better with Wally the Wanker and co in QLD

Amateur hour at its best

What to do about Fittler? Bring in a court order stating he is not to get within 50 km of a working television or radio microphone.

Nein really are embarrassing to the game and Fittler brings nothing but a one man Rorters cheer squad.

Nein of course are simply pandering to the biggest watchers of their telecast, Vermin supporters, Rorters Supporters and Donkey Supporters.

Really they could not give a shyte about the rest of us supporters, we simply " make up the numbers".

You guys don't know what you're talking about.
Where would we be without Fittler's expertise on goal kickers routines and striking styles. How would we know that we're watching goal kicking without him?

What he said about Maloney's conversion was absolute gibberish, then it got worse when he interviewed Pearce, who is an absolute bogan of the lowest rung.

The problem with the Nine team is the over emphasis on using past players and the "jobs for the boys" recruitment strategy. What you end up with is a selection of agenda driven ego maniacs chipping away at what should essentially be an unbiased observatory calling of the "play". I don't care what Gould had for breakfast, or what Joey used to do in the sheds before a game, or what beer Fittler drinks. Give the primary caller 90% of the air time, occasionally cross to a sideline eye (someone with a brain), and take the occasional expert analysis from one past player and be done with it. A team of 6 or 7 different past players stationed in every corner of the ground putting their bias 2 cents worth in, just pisses viewers off.

Actually I'm glad this thread has been brought up as I've got to ask what is going on with Fittler these days? When he first started commentating he was just abysmal, and my family (Roosters fans) were even embarrassed. They all loved him as a player and just said 'he should stick to playing'. But slowly he started to improve, and seemed at least passable. Sure he was a bit of a space cadet at times, would say some stupid stuff, but it seemed a bit fun and he still said some quality things.

But this year (and probably last as well), he seems to have amped up the goofball act. I actually wonder if 9 said to him, 'don't go the serious route you are a character push that angle'??? Because to me it seems like it's become really pronounced in the last year or two.

One thing where the game is headed that I don't like, is the 'more is better' rubbish. This means:

1) Sideline conversions with Fittler within 5m of the player. You can just see soon he'll be interviewing them as they line up
2) The ref cams (I applaud some innovation but I think this one is just rubbish, sometimes a bit of mystery doesn't hurt)
3) interviewing people at half time as they come off the field (great interviews, they always give such indepth insight)
4) Cameras in dressing rooms (again I believe that little bit of mystery is good. I'm a bit old school here and think the dressing room is sacred, if the players want to run around nude and teabag each other that's their business. If Tooves wants to shred them, that's his business).

Killer03 said:
One thing where the game is headed that I don't like, is the 'more is better' rubbish. This means:

1) Sideline conversions with Fittler within 5m of the player. You can just see soon he'll be interviewing them as they line up
2) The ref cams (I applaud some innovation but I think this one is just rubbish, sometimes a bit of mystery doesn't hurt)
3) interviewing people at half time as they come off the field (great interviews, they always give such indepth insight)
4) Cameras in dressing rooms (again I believe that little bit of mystery is good. I'm a bit old school here and think the dressing room is sacred, if the players want to run around nude and teabag each other that's their business. If Tooves wants to shred them, that's his business)

And what we need too still is...

5) Every player miked so they can be interviewed (when in back play)
6) A camera inside the ball so we can see it go over the black dot
7) A camera in the black dot
8) Follow the players from the time they wake up on Grand Final day, throw in everything from brekkie products to cars
9) A mike on Fittler's wife's head so we can get a loveable back story
10) Substance-abuse cam (Sharks only)

weev said:
Killer03 said:

4) Cameras in dressing rooms (again I believe that little bit of mystery is good. I'm a bit old school here and think the dressing room is sacred, if the players want to run around nude and teabag each other that's their business. If Tooves wants to shred them, that's his business)

And what we need too still is...

5) Every player miked so they can be interviewed (when in back play)
6) A camera inside the ball so we can see it go over the black dot
7) A camera in the black dot
8) Follow the players from the time they wake up on Grand Final day, throw in everything from brekkie products to cars
9) A mike on Fittler's wife's head so we can get a loveable back story
10) Substance-abuse cam (Sharks only)

well played Weev, loved it :D

Channel 9 jobs for the boys...
Any coincidence that Gyngell is on the Roosters board (pretty sure) and also channel 9 CEO? It would appear the commentary gig was a trade off for being sacked as Roosters coach a few years ago. Because he wasn't hired for his microphone presence.

What to do about him? He is not the real problem here. Channel 9 is for employing him and subjecting viewers to that gibberish. Pray that the next broadcast rights is contested and won by Channel 7 (and that Fittler is not mates with Kerry Stokes)

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6