What's Acceptable?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagles2win

Bencher
I'm a realist and given the fact we will have a few players leaving either through retirement or for a different club what would you guys hold as acceptable.
Say from 2014 - 2016?
If we can manage to stay in the 8 or around the 8 I think the club will be wrapped.
Hit this time period and hit the open market again with a major selling point to potential players.
Don't want to get into the Parra situation of paying overs for ordinary players or having players decline to play for us.

I'm confident that we will remain a top 8 team and if we miss out I won't be too worried. We've been spoilt with success for a decade.

The team is in capable hands and with cheap additions like Horo, Symonds, Fa'aoso and some young blokes coming there's no reason to worry.

voicefromthehill said:
Acceptable for me is the team puts in best effort each game - where we finish the season 2014 - 2016 will sort itself out, so long as we put in I am happy

Very much this. It annoys the crap out of me to see this team under performing in games... There's been a few games this season where playing anywhere NEAR the potential of the team sees us winning by 20...... and yet here we are worrying about dropping out of the top 4, lamenting close losses to teams that are definately no better than us: but they turned up to play on the day.

I have faith however, that we will peak when there's silverware in the offing, not just bragging rights.

All I ever want to see is the team playing with pride and putting in 100%. You can't ask for any more :)

eagles2win said:
I'm a realist and given the fact we will have a few players leaving either through retirement or for a different club what would you guys hold as acceptable.
Say from 2014 - 2016?
If we can manage to stay in the 8 or around the 8 I think the club will be wrapped.
Hit this time period and hit the open market again with a major selling point to potential players.
Don't want to get into the Parra situation of paying overs for ordinary players or having players decline to play for us.

3-peat.

voicefromthehill said:
Acceptable for me is the team puts in best effort each game - where we finish the season 2014 - 2016 will sort itself out, so long as we put in I am happy
I agree. The team and individual players can't always be in peak form, but so long as they always give 100% I can live with it. Of course this also applies to the coaching and recruitment staff - and the money men - to keep the club afloat and in serious contention - every year!

Acceptable is beating Parra Brisbane Storm& Dogs everytime we play them. Not acceptable is losing to any other team.

Unacceptable to me would be...
Warren Ryan signed as CEO
Toovey sacked, replaced with Ricky Stewart
Justin Hodges signed on big money, made team captain
Sea Eagles and Bulldogs merge
Manly become feeder club for Melbourne, renamed the Brookvale Breeze
Brookvale Oval renamed the Craig Field......

Win every game they play. Never happy with losing that's the way a Manly supporter should be. WE expect to win and losing is never an option. Its been like that since 1973 for me. Of course after a day I'm over the losses but boy they hurt me at the time.

eagles2win said:
Say from 2014 - 2016?

Joke responses aside, good thread idea e2w.

I'm of the opinion that the club should still be successful (in the finals for the majority of the next decade, barring one or two down years) & I think that expectation would be held by much of the MWSE upper management. We have great facilities with a large support staff & scouting network & a top squad.

I'm actually quite happy with the current situation regarding prospects & NRL team depth. We've got two of the best (some would argue THE two best) halves in the league who in being 23 & 24 have still not yet peaked. We can expect to get almost a decade of good play out of both of them (assuming no major injuries or losing them to other clubs, neither of which you can really account for in this type of hypothetical scenario).

Regarding our outside backs, I'm quietly confident there. We've got heaps of talent there in the lower grades. Losing someone of the caliber of Lyon is going to be a massive blow no doubt, but you'd hope that the natural progression of our current stars will be sufficient enough to assist whatever young player comes into that role to develop himself.

The club's shown real intent in rejuvenating the front row stocks in the past off-season so you'd imagine that that would continue until they get a line-up they're happy with. Even if no superstars emerge out of that bunch, Craig Bellamy & Wayne Bennett have shown with their teams that it isn't a necessity to have a top tier prop anymore. Guys like Brenton Lawrence should be what we aim for in the future.

I'd also like to say that I really like the direction Tooves seems to be steering the pack in. More rangy, athletic type props, who can play big minutes & rack up huge tackle counts & are actually effective in broken play & creating gaps. Much prefer to see those types of forwards compared to the lumbering battering rams (see: Bulldogs).

The back row is what worries me the most going forward. They've carried us for a lot of seasons, Choc in particular. Whenever Gift goes we'll lose another valuable creative outlet. Remains to be seen what'll happen there, but it's really too early to be making any big moves at that position considering we've already got Choc & Gift tied up to big, long term deals.

I think backrow is 1 of our better positions actually wolfpack

If we say Watmough and Stewart are set for a while, we have Horo, Symonds, Buhrer who are already NRL level and then guys like Hasson, Sene-Lafao and Chee Kam who are reasonably close to that. All dependent on keeping them all I suppose which could be hard.

Kiwi Eagle said:
I think backrow is 1 of our better positions actually wolfpack

If we say Watmough and Stewart are set for a while, we have Horo, Symonds, Buhrer who are already NRL level and then guys like Hasson, Sene-Lafao and Chee Kam who are reasonably close to that. All dependent on keeping them all I suppose which could be hard.

Don't get me wrong, I'd say that it's probably the strongest positional group in the team at the moment. I'm thinking more five or so years down the track.

I think we'll only be able to keep one out of Horo & Symonds (I'd go with Symonds). You'd think that Buhrer will step up & be a good long term player for us as well. I'm a big fan of Hasson as well, hope to see him continue getting game time in the back row rather than at prop.

Chee Kam's an interesting one. He's obviously got an offseason or two before he's ready for full time NRL duties but I'm interested in seeing if he continues to bulk up & if he does how much agility he loses as a result. I'd actually like to see him run in the centers, if only for my own curiosity. He'd be a great size mismatch against most NRL centers & whenever I've watched him he's always seemed to be more comfortable in space.

Bottom line for me is being competitive by being in touch with the top 8 and clearly above losers like Parramatta are these days.

That bottom line means that even in our "lean" or "rebuild" years, Manly is clearly differentiated from those in the comp that just dont cut it. Truth is, its always only a short timeframe before we are holding the silverware aloft.

If you are a Silvertail mediocrity will not be tolerated.

Need to keep the Manly winning/ happy culture alive! Over the next four also years we will lose a generation of foundation players.
Simply that means installing it in new and up and coming players. No question we have the recruitment team to facilitate this.
Foran & DCE are key.
Our culture is how we differentiate from the riff raff. It will not be acceptable if this is diluted.
Not sure if the salary cap is significantly increased that will help us either. Only silvertails in name these days.

The people around me know to steer clear until after Wednesday if Manly loses the weekend prior, so in their mind we should win every week!

For me? Keep in the 8 at the end of each season. I love to brag.

Acceptable to me is being competitive in our matches. I would hate to support a team like the Tigers who can beat anyone on their day by plenty, but then on any other given week can lose by plenty.....that would just tear my hair out.

I am always of the belief we need to make the 8 every year, of course there will be times we don't. Some will say 8th/9th what's the difference?? Well to me for starters there's hope to win the GF from 8th (not great but at least there's a chance), and also if you start missing the Semis, suddenly 5 years can go past and you've missed the Semis every year.

Another thing is having players in our team we are proud to call Manly. If we signed players like Hodges, Slater, Smith...god it's just not worth thinking about. I look at our team and even when we lose I'll say 'yeh but tell me you wouldn't give your right testicle to have Jamie Lyon in your team....or Snake....or {insert any sea eagle here].' During the dark year of the late 90s, earlier 2000s who didn't say that about Menzies to anyone who bagged us?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4