When can you go ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
All year I've been watching defending sides stand offside. In my books, its one of the biggest issues in the game.

Does anyone know what the rule says ? When can the defensive line move forward ?

Is it when the man playing the ball puts it down ? When he touches it with his foot ? When the dummy half picks it up ? When it "clears' the ruck (That sounds like the world's biggest grey area to me....but whatever)

At the moment it seems the rule is....whenever you damn feel like it. The Rooters were all over us on Monday. The ball carrier had hardly gotten past the play the ball and they were on us.

Penalties for inside the 10 are only blown if the player is 2m in front of the ref when the ball is played. Nothing for moving too early....well rarely anyway.

For God's sake. Can we get a little clarity ?

what frustrates me is how much they try and hide it in the camera angles. you might only see the full shot once per set. So unless you are looking really closely for it, you don't see it nearly as much as live. Very noticeable when at the game.
I think the camera angles have been a bit closer than ever this year with the introduction of the digital on ground advertising, they are trying to make it not overly noticeable that the majority of the signage isn't actually painted on the ground and its only on certain wide angles you get them in the shot, so the closer shots are well in close making it hard to see if the refs are getting everyone back the 10.

Players can move as soon as the ruck is formed, i.e when the player who was tackled touches it with his foot.

yup -> when the player touches it with his foot is correct.

Oz Tag -> when the dummy half touches it.

Union -> who cares

MWSE said:
Players can move as soon as the ruck is formed, i.e when the player who was tackled touches it with his foot.

That's what I thought, then (I thought) I heard ref's on the field saying the ball has to clear the ruck.

This usually happens when a markers hit's the opposing player's arm ..

yadda yadda yadda

No. The defence cannot advance until the ball (having been played) has cleared the ruck.

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/NRL%20Rules%20book%202013FINAL.pdf

See Section 11(10)(g)

Thanks guys.

That clears it up. But I still say some sides (including us at times) are going off a little early more frequently than we see penalties given.

I'll keep an eye on it on Monday as you get a better look when you're actually at the ground.

That same section has the definition of the ruck as the space between the man playing the ball, and the first marker. So it would seem that the back end of the 'heeling' motion (playing the ball), players are allowed to start running.

I've seen calls on both sides here by the ref (penalties and play on's) but also it made interesting reading as I wasn't 100% sure. (like the ref's lol)

aveagoodnight

MWSE said:

g'day all,And when, in what seems to be a major percentage of play the balls these days, when the ball just gets rolled between the legs with no attempt to put a foot on it does it start?Whatever happened to making blokes play the ball according to the rule,particularly as it is no longer contestable and all the no hands on the ball no holding down markers square etc nitpickers against the defence?
cheers mike

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8