When did you change from being a fan, to being a consumer?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The last year I supported Rugby League (not just Manly) was:

• I still have the same passion for the game as always

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • 2011 - a little piece of me died after the Hasler saga

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • 2008 - Beaver WAS rugby league to me

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • 2000's - The Northern Eagles fiasco

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 1996 - The Super League War

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters

Harmless27

Reserve Grader
The year where it all changed for me was 2009. From the sponsors launch onwards...

Shame. I used to love Rugby league.

Now - I couldn't care less about Origin, International League, or any other team..... I don't like cheating, empty stadiums, Channel Nein commentary, Gambling and Booze advertising, Thursday/Monday night football, Rigging of draws for QLD teams, Brown paper bags, back ended contracts, the NRL, the politics of it all, being a consumer rather than a fan.

I have, and will, ALWAYS love Manly.

I just don't love the game they play as much any more.

What about you?

To me, it's just some contractors in Maroon & white jumpers with an ugly lime-green splotch on the front "playing" a much more complex version of a game that I loved back in the 50's as a kid. The contractors are superb athletes but have too much money and (mostly) not enough brains to manage it wisely.
(edit) Wasn't it wonderful when EVERYONE went on the field to play for 80 minutes?
super league did it to me too, Mark.

Last edited:
To me, it's just some contractors in Maroon & white jumpers with an ugly lime-green splotch on the front "playing" a much more complex version of a game that I loved back in the 50's as a kid. The contractors are superb athletes but have too much money and (mostly) not enough brains to manage it wisely.
super league did it to me too, Mark.

Love your last paragraph!!

The game moved in the wrong direction when a double movement went from being black and white to all sorts of grey.

Mid season transfers entered around the same time.

Nek minute Players and coaches are signings on years prior.

Back when Australia actually sent a tour to England and Clifford waved his magic wond with seconds to go against England is the last time league was more then Manly.

So yeah may be super league played a part.

Last edited:
@Harmless27 you nailed it with your litany of things you don't like about the game.

For me the big two are the referees lack of independence, they are now simply a political and operational tool of the NRL, and the power of broadcasters to dictate grossly uneven draws.

For all of you with your foxtel love at the moment wait til that big bad boy starts throwing it's weight around. They will make nein look like pussy cats. What, NO game on Tuesday's, get one!

Manly is a part of my DNA, buts the Penn's are sorely testing me.

The more I read, the more annoying things I can think of:
The feeling that there is a minimum amount of KFC exposure required via the Video Ref
Journalistic bias
mid-season transfer of players
Ownership structures
rule changes/interpretations
The need to 'improve the product'
The terrible treatment of women by many players which gets covered up
The PATHETIC efforts around affirmative action for women which completely miss the mark and the point all together
Super hero round. I mean - come on. Who gives a $hit about that?

And the u/20's

Typical buull**** from the commentators,

"this kid is a genuine superstar" or "a future super star of our game" said about 6/7 different kids every game.

This concept, whilst good to see young talent, has simply been the greatest breeding ground for mug lairs and tossers ever. With the few that make the NRL it sometimes takes 2/3 years for the mug to be knocked out of them. (In this we have been blessed with the level heads of the turbo's)

The only winners in the u/20's are the tattoo parlours and the hair dressers.

2013 GF was the last straw for me. The biggest stitch-up in the history of the game.

A travesty of justice......I'll never forget the collage of things that went the Rorters way being put together in about a 3-4 minute display ( I don't think it was someone on here may have been Facebook) and each of them were game changing.

We fought back from being behind to be continually put on the back foot by one of the greatest one sided refereeing performances in the history of the game.

It now sticks out like dogs balls, we were just never meant to win!

2000, stopped following league as Manly was gone.@:cry:

Started attending, watching Manly games late 2007 again when I got a sense of the Manly culture once again :)

The 2008 GF was worth the 7 year rest. Reaffirmed my belief in Manly resurrecting their true identity :inlove:

Then the politics at Manly turned me off the Club. The success on the field was hijacked, as it is to this day, by the owner factions :mad:
Still love my local Team, but the relentless and irrational attacks by ZtH of our 70 year old District Football Club, has stopped me buying season tickets and attending away games.

The rest of the Comp, Nein's Shows and biased scheduling are just white noise to me @:cool:

Used to go to most of the SOO games in the 90s. Went to a few in the past few years and really enjoyed the Blues Series win in 2014 at ANZ :clap:

The past few years, maybe because of the Greenturd/ARLC, has corporatized the game too much for my taste :wondering:

Watching the games of the last century is still a joy. :inlove:
No wrestle and no crowd of officials to intefere with the flow of pure footy :wait:

Last year's events at Manly makes me feel it's 2000 again @:mad:
Maybe another hiatus is on the cards again :(

But 2016 season still has my ever optimistic support for Manly's 9th Premiership :nod:

A travesty of justice......I'll never forget the collage of things that went the Rorters way being put together in about a 3-4 minute display ( I don't think it was someone on here may have been Facebook) and each of them were game changing.

We fought back from being behind to be continually put on the back foot by one of the greatest one sided refereeing performances in the history of the game.

It now sticks out like dogs balls, we were just never meant to win!
I'd love to get a copy of that collage.

The more I read, the more annoying things I can think of:
The feeling that there is a minimum amount of KFC exposure required via the Video Ref

Bloody KFC time, yep agree, we have the Bunker now for nearly every try, why???.....to appease the sponsor!

I'd love to get a copy of that collage.

It was on one of the Manly Facebook pages after the event, the guy did a great job, he put it all together in about a 4 minute youtube clip, with an explanation in writing prior to each event, forward passes, incorrect calls, penalties awarded to Rorters, and then not to us for the same thing, there were a litany of items.

It proved beyond doubt we were totally robbed.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4