when will we get another marquee signing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Will we ever have another marquee signing?
Can't even recall the last regular first grader we got, let alone rep star.
On the other hand maybe that is why we have such a happy crew? Apprentices come in and must earn their spot.

RE: Manly's next marquee signing

Love the 'Earn your Wings' recruitment strategy.

Learning on the job, alongside Premiership winning Internationals, must be the ultimate :)

Manly just needs to develop a regular kicker to save Killer's aging legs :idea:

We have had heaps over the last few years. Brett Stewart signed last year as did Jamie Lyon recently, DCE and Foran the year before. Wouldn't swap these guys for anyone.

HappilyManly said:
Love the 'Earn your Wings' recruitment strategy.

Learning on the job, alongside Premiership winning Internationals, must be the ultimate :)

Manly just needs to develop a regular kicker to save Killer's aging legs :idea:

They are developing a kicker and with the added bonus that Rudolph already kicks with an 83% average!

01. Brett Stewart (Represented Australia)
02. Jorge Taufua (Represented City Origin)
03. Steve Matai (Represented New Zealand)
04. Jamie Lyon (Represented Australia)
05. David Williams (Represented Australia)
06. Kieran Foran (Represented New Zealand)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans (Represented Australia)
08. Brenton Lawrence
09. Matt Ballin (Represented Queensland)
10. Jason King (Represented New South Wales)
11. Anthony Watmough (Represented Australia)
12. Justin Horo (Represented New Zealand)
13. Glenn Stewart (Represented Australia)

14. Jamie Buhrer (Represented New South Wales)
15. Richi Fa'aoso (Represented New Zealand)
17. Tom Symonds (Represented in City Origin)

I really don't know what more you want from a roster? We have, in my opinion, the best roster in the NRL, especially when you look at our current depth:-

Here is some info about this years signings for you:-

Josh Starling | Prop | 23 | South Sydney Rabbitohs
The NSW Cup Prop of the Year, Josh Starling is a young front rower on the rise. He plays long minutes and will be well-suited to the Sea Eagles' style.

Cheyse Blair | Centre/Wing | 21 | Parramatta Eels
Tall, athletic outside back with plenty of NRL experience for such a young man. Cheyse will be a great addition to the Sea Eagles' developing backline.

Dunamis Lui | Prop | 23 | Brisbane Broncos
Powerful prop with great leg speed and well-tested in the NRL arena. Brisbane born and bred, but Dunamis is excited to be coming to Manly and will adapt well to the Sea Eagles' club culture. Look for him to benefit greatly from the change of scenery.

Jayden Hodges | Hooker | 20 | North Queensland Cowboys
The Cowboys' U20s Player of the Year and with the best defensive stats in the 2013 Holden Cup, Jayden earned his shot in first grade late in the Cowboys' season. A clever, resilient player, he's sure to blossom in his first full time position. Signed with the Sea Eagles for three years, he'll study under the tackling master Matt Ballin and hone his hooking skills.

Jack Littlejohn | Halves | Canterbury Bulldogs
A clever player who can cover any position in the backline, he'll start training in the halves for Manly. He has a great kicking game, good organisational skill and will add depth to the Sea Eagles' back stocks.

Manaia Rudolph | Five-eighth/Centre | 20 | Wests Tigers
The top try-scorer in the 2012 U20s competition, Manaia is a great attacking back with an impressive step. A versatile player, he'll move back from centres to focus on five-eighth at Manly, providing some cover in the halves. Manaia will grow even more dangerous in his first year training full time and learning from one of the best halves combinations in the game.

Tyson Andrews | Prop | 23 | Mackay Cutters
The 2013 Player of the Year for Queensland Cup Premiers Mackay Cutters, Tyson is an impressive young front rower. He's got a great work ethic and hits the line hard.

Delroy Berryman | Wing | 22 | Redcliffe Dolphins
Signed by the Broncos on a second-tier contract Delroy spent the 2013 season carving up the Queensland Cup, second in the competition's try-scoring tally despite the Dolphins sitting only seventh on the ladder. He's got fantastic speed and knows how to find the try line.

Mark O'Dare (Train and Trial) | Outside back | 22 | Gold Coast Titans
Former Sydney Uni rugby player, Mark was signed by the Titans in 2013 and was very impressive in their pre-season before suffering an injury that set him back. He's a very dedicated athlete with amazing speed, looking for an opportunity as an outside back for the Sea Eagles.

Then take into consideration guys coming through with the ilk of:-

Jake Trbojevic (born 18 February 1994) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer for the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles of the National Rugby League. He primarily plays prop. Junior International Representative

Clinton Gutherson (born 9 September 1994) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer for the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles of the National Rugby League. He primarily plays fullback, centre and wing. Junior International Representative.

and depth guys like:-

James Hasson (born 1 May 1992) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer for the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles of the National Rugby League. He primarily plays second-row, lock and prop. Irish International.

Ligi Sao (born 11 October 1992 in New Zealand) is a New Zealand rugby league player who currently plays for the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in the National Rugby League. Junior International Player

Others like Chee Kam, Cunningham, Hiku & other junior International players.

I wouldn't worry about marquee signings mate. I'd worry about how you retain all the outstanding talent coming through our juniors.

Best recruitment / junior base, in the game.

'Marquee player' is however a questionable terminology when you see players like soward referred to as a marquee player signing for the riff

I'd say it won't be entertained until some of our core of rep quality players retire in a few years. Or if the guys coming through don't step up as hoped.

That said, the way out recruitment is going it may not be necessary.

The question should be "when will we next need a marquee signing?". Happy with the way Manly develop players into our mould.

If the NRL eventually get their act together and finally loosen up the salary cap rules we could see NRL clubs signing big name RU players again.

Boofhead said:
The question should be "when will we next need a marquee signing?". Happy with the way Manly develop players into our mould.
Absolutely.
The thread was more just in awe at how well the management, particularly Hasler and Toovey, have done over an extended period of time.
Seriously, I can't recall a regular first grader joining us probably since Jamie Lyon in 2006?
Josh Perry from memory was in and out of first grade before he came here.
(and Fa'aoso of course had just played in Storm's GF team, but only played 6 matches that year, all off the bench, I saw somewhere)

We might have one next year to replace King.

Then no more until killer, choc, Mattai and the stawart bros retire in a few years time when we will have big dollars available under the cap to go back into the market

Just a few modifications to Ryan's post -
Jorge Tafua (Tongan International)
Also Justin Horo hasn't played for the New Zealand Kiwi's - has played for the Maori though.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Boofhead said:
Absolutely.
The thread was more just in awe at how well the management, particularly Hasler and Toovey, have done over an extended period of time.
Seriously, I can't recall a regular first grader joining us probably since Jamie Lyon in 2006?
Josh Perry from memory was in and out of first grade before he came here.
(and Fa'aoso of course had just played in Storm's GF team, but only played 6 matches that year, all off the bench, I saw somewhere)

To think of our success since 2007 and to think in that time we only had the marquee signing of Killer (coming into 07) and then Perry the next year (I think his lack of playing at the Knights was a falling out with Brian Smith), shows how remarkable this club has been.

The assembling of the talent that took place, ie BK, Orford, Bell, Kite, Killer that led into that period, and then the blossoming of the Stewarts and Watmough, and then the gathering of some 'lesser talent and discards' ie Glenn Hall, Steve Matai, Matt Ballin etc etc shows some brilliant planning and strategy.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4