Who have we missed and don't regret?

We have an embarrassment of riches in the current playing roster and though it is only hypothetical (anything could have become of them if inculcated in the Manly culture) - who are the players of the last five years or so that we were reported to be chasing but didn't get.

Some I recall,

Todd Carney - before he re-signed with Canberra on Neil Henry's word he would be coach there

Steve Simpson,

Paul Gallen,

Anthony Toupou,

Any other big names? I am pleased we missed out on these guys - even Gallen as good as he is going now would have pushed someone out of our cap that I would hate to lose.

Disco said:
I would take Gallen.........obviously

He might make a good front rower for us, have loved King and Kite's efforts over the years but I think another year might pull them up.

Would be nice if we were in the position to sign a mid twenties semi established bloke like we did with Perry. Sucks that the Eels wouldn't let Shackleton come across - he would have had plenty to prove.

More red nut the better, although I hear you're not allowed to have more than one ranga in a group of mates (unless twins) so Harrison may have felt him encroaching on his territory.

Ben Creagh (so glad we missed out) and Luke O'Donnell
A little more than five years ago but Timana Tahu is another that I'm glad we missed out on.

On another note i would love to sign Kyle O'Donell for the next few years. Same Build as Tariq sims, Boyd Cordner etc with the 'skillful agro' playing style?

Zinzan Brooke is the big one (well outside the 5 years I know), he had signed they say.

What might of been we will never know, I still get excited just thinking about him in the maroon and white.

Struggles to catch cabs these days I hear.

What about Frank Pritchard? If I recall correctly when he was negotiating his move from Penrith and was seen at the Leagues Club after a meeting with you-know-who?

In 2009 we were chasing Shannon McDonnell as a replacement for Brett Stewart when he was injured.

I Remember we were Chasing Wally Lewis and Gene Miles as a package, but were also at one stage chasing Jason Little the Wallabies Centre

QldEagle01 said:
I Remember we were Chasing Wally Lewis and Gene Miles as a package, but were also at one stage chasing Jason Little the Wallabies Centre
Missed out on Mal Meninga at the end of 1985, because Doug Daley gave him an ultimatum to sign by a certain deadline. Mal went elsewhere and the rest is history.

Turvey Mortimer was very close to joining around the same time. He'd had a gutful at Canterbury under Warren Ryan and was keen on a fresh start elsewhere. Bullfrog talked him out of it.

Now remember this was in the pre-salary cap era. Imagine if we'd had Meninga, Miles, Lewis and Mortimer available to the Manly backline? Along with Shearer, Lyons, Hasler, Darrell Williams and O'Connor? Something would have to give. And I'd like to think we won in 1987 because we not only had a very good team, but they played as a 'team'. All those superstars additional greats might have seen a flashback to the 82/83 team of champions but not a champion team era.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2