Who here actually went to all 8 sucessful grand finals?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eelcatcher

Reserve Grader
Just watching our successful Grand Finals, oh how things have changed in footy since the 70s.Just wondering if any posters here went to all 8 of our successful Grand Finals.

Not me. I was at the last four wins (87,96,08 and 11). Been to 7 GFs (4 wins and 3 losses) the first being in '87 and have been to every one involving Manly since.

Great question! I was alive for all of them but my memory doesn't kick in until 76. I was at the 82, 83 and 07 games. So thought about staying away from 08, but went anyway thank goodness.

In the early days, I went to the loss against Souths in 68, loss against Balmain in GF qualifier in 69,again in 1970 loss against Souths, missed out in 1972 unfortunately, but made it against Cronulla in 73, sweetest win of all as I live in the Shire and all of my friends became Shark supporters, even a few that followed Manly.
Been to most other GF, except 1978 when I was out of the country, I left just after the first semi final loss against cronulla which was tragic, I arrived back a couple of days after the grand final having no idea who won until I asked the cab driver, the rest is history.
The game against Newcastle was tragic, but I think the one against the dogs is the one that hurts the most, as it was during the Super League war, against a team that I have always hated the most.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the '72 and '73 GF live. My first was '76 then '78 but wasn't allowed to go to replay (never forgive mum for that shoulda wagged school). '82 and '83 (no wonder I will always hate Parra). '87 '95 '96 '97 '08 and '11. Missed the '07 ripoff by the cheats.

Great story, Peter C. I was at that stupid '69 match, we had it until very late, if my failing memory serves me, and it should have been us in the GF instead of the 'greatest upset in history'. Of course, nowadays, that is the 'West Tigers' only chance of victory - it really will be the greatest upset in history if they win anytime soon.

Good topic from an ex-Eel!

Peter C said:
but I think the one against the dogs is the one that hurts the most, as it was during the Super League war, against a team that I have always hated the most.

If Wests always reckoned they were done over by the ref Lawler in the '63 GF cause he put a bet on saints then Wards performance in '95 wasn't any different.

I remember as a kid I'd put the Big League team posters on my bedroom walls but there was only 1 team I wouldn't put up and it was the dogscum.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Great story, Peter C. I was at that stupid '69 match, we had it until very late, if my failing memory serves me, and it should have been us in the GF instead of the 'greatest upset in history'. Of course, nowadays, that is the 'West Tigers' only chance of victory - it really will be the greatest upset in history if they win anytime soon.

Good topic from an ex-Eel!
That's right, it was George Ruebner who scored in the corner in the last minute, I smashed my transistor radio.

Bob Batty missed the tackle, should have put him into touch, I know a few fans that never forgave Bob for that mistake

I was on the hill, it was seriously Ruebner's fault. Man, that guy had big thighs, he was all thighs, if he wasn't a player you'd think he wasn't fit.

Plus, though I never met Bob Batty, how anyone could ever be down on someone called Bob Batty eludes me. Go the Roadrunner!

edit: and hips. Hips and thighs

Watched 72 and 73 on Black and White telly. Saw 76 and 78 from Tamworth on colour telly but haven't forgiven my footy coach for not allowing my School side to play in the 78 GF replay curtain raiser. (We won University Shield that year!)

Was at 87, 96, 2008 and 2011 Grand Finals for the four wins. Also present at 82, 95, 97 losses!! 4 - 3 record and looking to improve!!

Iv'e been to six grand finals, 82, 83, 87, 07, 08 and 11. I have seen the highs and the lows of grand final day. Nothing will beat the 08 one where we smashed to smithereens the news limited cheating drizzle and where revenge was amplified by the Beaver smashing Crocker's ribs after what that mongrel did to Brett the previous year.

1982 and 1983 were painful experiences as we lost to our biggest enemy, for me I support Manly and who ever plays the worms.

I remember being burnt to a crisp in 1987 as we dismantled the green machine.

My first memory is the 1973 grand final and I loved the 1976 and 1978 teams for doing the business.

I know this will cause a stir, but NO Manly team was better than the 78 boys. Wow what a team, what spirit and going through what they went through to win for me will always be the ultimate triumph. I was 11 when they won that year and I will always remember the Manly supporters club in the old Sheridan Stand and how they drove the team on. Wonderful memories. As a young fan it left an impression on me that sealed my permanent love for Manly.

My dad took me to the 73 grand final but I was 3 at the time and dont remember much apart from the large crowd. Got a day off school with the family and went to the 78 replay then 83,95,96,97 and 08. Also been to the 75,94,98 and 99 Grand Finals.

Just the 1982 & 2011 GFs for me.

Will never forgive myself for missing 2008 GF but had 2 young kids at the time & no babysitter.... :(

I saw 68 and '70 on ABC TV. Then a little older, I attended the 72, 73, 76, 78 GF and ran from the uni at lunchtime to see the midweek '78 GF Replay. All these at the SCG. Massive thunderstorm at half time - we were all soaked, but what a sweet match. Graham Eadie was supreme.

Since then, i attended the '87 GF, but missed the '96. Saw the 2008 GF on TV with my father, now 89 yrs.

Got back on track recently however have attended 2011. Great seats.

The whole '78 final series i must say, sticks out in my mind as the club's finest effort. But of course 40-Nil is hard to top also.
See Russell Gartner's famous 1978 try here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI5UnfxPe5Y
at the 2:20 mark
Cant wait for this season to start, this off season has been very long.

See u all at the 2013 GF !

**** some of you are old bastards ;)

I was there in 95 and have been to all the GFs since 07 so have seen 2 wins

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7