who or what has stepped up this year for us?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yes Buhrerfull is the one who has matured with the extra game time :angel:

The newbies are hard to judge as I have no idea how they were at their old Clubs.

I think BJ only took his first season to settle in as a Manly first grader :angel:

Hiku shines at FB, but the sideline hampers his natural game and I don't see much improvement from him on the wing :(
Maybe he would be a better lock and Buhrer could play second row for the next 3 games :idea:

Tred would be a revelation if he got more game time. His wonderful upright, straight running last week was a joy to behold :)

I think Josh Starling has done a good job so far. With little to no fanfare he has stepped into the front row and keeps giving his all every week. He's not a flashy player and no one will ever accuse him of being a DCE or Foz in waiting. The way he plays reminds me a bit of Martin Bella (just takes the ball up hard), but he has done some good things.....such as preventing a try against Newcastle by running down a winger and throwing him into touch.

But the player I think has stepped up the most is Jamie Buhrer. If not for Gifty coming back soon he's pretty much made the lock position his own. I actually think he's a better player now than when he got picked for Origin a few years ago and its no coincidence that its come with him putting on some muscle. He'll probably go back to the bench when both Choc and Gifty return, but if we can keep him at the club I think he'll be our starting lock come 2015.

I agree with HappilyManly, Peta Hiku's best position is FB. However, with Snake back there in the form he's been in lately, and with the Wolf's problems, wing is where he is even though its not his position, though he is showing signs that he is getting better on the flank. It also helps that he has someone as good as Killer playing inside him.

I agree with all the above - particularly Buhrer who's much improved, and done very well with more game time replacing Gifty. Also Hiku did well replacing Snake, JSL's been very good replacing King.

However, apart from the players stepping up, and as pointed out in a separate thread, I think some credit should go to Tooves. Now that he's had a couple of years in the top job, he's stepped up too!

Bruner was also the person who came to mind. This has been his best season yet.

On the newbie front I want to give JSL a big shout, cause he is turning into a promising prospect. (yes I know JSL débuted last season :) )

Buhrer for sure, and in previous years I've been fairly critical of him.

I'd actually have to add Stevie Matai, I think he is really hitting a purple patch (although probably this year and last). And this year seems to have developed more of a passing game.

I don't think Buhrer has necessarily stepped up. I think he's been this good for a few years but we only see it when he gets minutes of the field.

I think our halves have continued on their improvement. DCE is turning into a more accomplished play maker and putting his stamp on all aspects of our game. Foran is our tempo, he lifts us when we need to lift.

Killer03 said:
I'd actually have to add Stevie Matai, I think he is really hitting a purple patch (although probably this year and last). And this year seems to have developed more of a passing game.

Bingo !!! Skivvi is having a HUGE year, his best ever IMO. TBH I think he is shading Killer.

Eagles2nv said:

On the newbie front I want to give JSL a big shout, cause he is turning into a promising prospect. (yes I know JSL débuted last season :) )

Ditto on both of those from me (that is if you meant Buhrer instead of Bruner)

Jethro said:
Eagles2nv said:

Ditto on both of those from me (that is if you meant Buhrer instead of Bruner)

Perhaps there are moves afoot to rebrand Jamie like Daly Chez Sid Evans...Ferris, the Fuhrer, Bruno or Bruner...With JB's workrate of late you could argue there's more than one Jamie out there too.

Liked plenty of Matai, Watmough & DCE who have stood up when needed.
Do agree about Buhrer getting an extra toughness into his game & again running those good angles on the edges....
The new boys though not sensational have held their own, all thats required when there are several supertars around them...

Out of the new guys, it would have to be Josh Starling. Has been very solid and is getting the job done week in week out and is keeping King on the bench (which could be Tooves plan for Kingy anyway)
From the older brigade, definitely Skivvy. He would have to be the best centre in the comp at this stage of the year. He's getting better with age, playing through pain and keeping his discipline.

Alan said:
What I particularly like is the no-nonsense, no bul...hit way D.lui and JSL come on and go about their business. No heroic "tough guy" crap, just make the tackle and get on with it.

Agree with everyone's thoughts, particularly on Lui. I have mentioned this before too. I like the way he runs the ball also. He doesn't get caught up in the pushy/pully rubbish that seems to go on in nearly every tackle. He goes for the quick play the ball and gets ready for another hit up. A true sign of confidence and toughness.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6