Who's faster

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Peter C

Bencher
Collectively, between our backs and forwards, who are the fastest of the two?.
I think our forwards are just as fast, if not faster than our backs, which is a concern of somewhat.

Overall, the backs would have to be faster. King would do some damage to the forwards when averaged out!

depends what distance were talking mate

Lawrence would have to be one if not the quickest over 40 metres - I'm pretty sure he smashed everyone in the speed tests minus Snake (who doesn't do them because of his knees).

Another under rated mention is Buhrer who always catches defenses off guard with his burst speed.

I think if were talking a length of the field distance I'd have to go with Lyon, Cherry, Matai and Snake from what I've seen when they are either chasing or scoring a try.

I would love to see Lawrence break the line on his own 10m line and see who could catch him though !

It's not Snake anymore, but maybe if he loses 3 kgs ? Surely JT would have to be up there, and what about Clinton ?

Killer is quite pacey with his big leg strides.

@EagleFromManly1967 Yeah I think Snake's put on at least 5kg. Not as slim as he used to be pre-2012.

BJ is the fastest, end of.

BJ could cruise past Peta, Horhay n Skivy...smilin' n givin' em the bird as he went ...esp over 40- 60 metres.

He looks like Thor (according to some women I know) or a superhero of some sort; stops the biggest boppers out there and can score a try now too.

Yep it's BJ, all the way. And I'm another who'd like to see him in space from about our 40 and just see him go for it!

If I ever get a man crush, he'd be the prototype!

Is the question hows faster as a group Backs vs Forwards?

If that is the question, then the backs have it.

I know it will never happen but I'd love to see the old races on GF day. Imagine Snake, Jennings, Soward, Mead etc over 100m? 40m?

Would love to see Killer run ether a 200 or 400.

RiverEagle said:

BJ could cruise past Peta, Horhay n Skivy...smilin' n givin' em the bird as he went ...esp over 40- 60 metres.

He looks like Thor (according to some women I know) or a superhero of some sort; stops the biggest boppers out there and can score a try now too.

Yep it's BJ, all the way. And I'm another who'd like to see him in space from about our 40 and just see him go for it!

My wife reckons he's DEFINATELY a Hemsworth, therefor drool worthy!

Young Taylor in the 20s absolutely smoked everyone with a solo 70m try last night. Tom T looks quick as well.

Beaver interviews Jorge after the game (on MWSE site) and asked him about Starling's great cover tackle.
Jorge said it was good because now he's not the only winger who's been chased down by a prop!

RiverEagle said:

Fair dinkum River get a grip old mate.

If it's a race to the Dinner table the forwards win, if it's a race to the hairdresser the backs win, if it's a race to the tattooists it's a draw.

5 years ago it would have been Snake hands down as the quickest player at Manly (well, him or Michael Oldfield). His injuries and age have slowed him somewhat and as it stands now I would say he's barely in the top 5 at the club (over 100 that is). Didn't Snake once run a hand-held 10.2 at training in about 2005 or 2006? That would have made him faster than both Kevin Gordon and David Mead

Jorge isn't that fast for a winger when it comes down to it (the Wolf is actually faster I reckon). JT didn't make any ground on Gagai on Monday night and was actually passed by JLJ in the chase. Jorge's best asset is his size and strength, which makes me think he will ultimately end up in the centres or the back row.

BJ is the quickest at the club over 40m, but I'd love to see how he'd go making a break on his own 10 with no one in front of him.

I would actually guess that the fastest player over 100 we have in the first grade squad is Killer. Though in desperate times I wouldn't put it past Josh Starling to go hard, even if his body shape does resemble Martin Bella's :p

I think the top 5 fastest ever to play for Manly would be Ken Irvine, Johnny Bliss, Snake, Nick Yakich and maybe Dale Shearer. Have to question Rowdy though, but I'm not sure who'd beat him outside of the 4 I mentioned.

HoldenV8 said:
5 years ago it would have been Snake hands down as the quickest player at Manly (well, him or Michael Oldfield). His injuries and age have slowed him somewhat and as it stands now I would say he's barely in the top 5 at the club (over 100 that is). Didn't Snake once run a hand-held 10.2 at training in about 2005 or 2006? That would have made him faster than both Kevin Gordon and David Mead

Jorge isn't that fast for a winger when it comes down to it (the Wolf is actually faster I reckon). JT didn't make any ground on Gagai on Monday night and was actually passed by JLJ in the chase. Jorge's best asset is his size and strength, which makes me think he will ultimately end up in the centres or the back row.

BJ is the quickest at the club over 40m, but I'd love to see how he'd go making a break on his own 10 with no one in front of him.

I would actually guess that the fastest player over 100 we have in the first grade squad is Killer. Though in desperate times I wouldn't put it past Josh Starling to go hard, even if his body shape does resemble Martin Bella's :p

I think the top 5 fastest ever to play for Manly would be Ken Irvine, Johnny Bliss, Snake, Nick Yakich and maybe Dale Shearer. Have to question Rowdy though, but I'm not sure who'd beat him outside of the 4 I mentioned.

I would say that Les Hanigan and Russell Gartner were faster than Shearer, and probably faster than Snake or Yakich.

Phil Blake had some electrifying acceleration.

Also Johnny Gibbs - especially over the 1st 20 or 30 yards - he would generally burn off a couple of would-be tacklers then coast to the tryline.

Paul Shaw was in a similar mould, but my main memories of him are carving up reserve grade teams. Highly entertaining.

Shearer is hard to quantify because he would mainly coast along going just fast enough for the situation. So frustrating when ambling back lazily to cover kicks, but then he'd pop up at full tilt on the end of a pass.[/align]

Irvine no contest.

Yakich was a recognized sprinter and I think he would have the rest covered.

Hanigan could travel 20m before he remembered he should have caught the ball.

Frogeyes Gartner had outstanding acceleration and good top pace but many would have beaten him over 100m, but few over 50m)

Starling is so fast he could turn off the light and collar a winger before it got dark.

I can remember seeing Shearer chase from the the hill side to grandstand side of the ground and catch Brett Kenny after he took an intercept on the grandstand side on his 22, mighty impressive show of pace. I think at times he only went as fast as he had to.

roscoe said:
I can remember seeing Shearer chase from the the hill side to grandstand side of the ground and catch Brett Kenny after he took an intercept on the grandstand side on his 22, mighty impressive show of pace. I think at times he only went as fast as he had to.

Sure it wasn't Michael Blake? I remember it

Alan said:
Irvine no contest.

Yakich was a recognized sprinter and I think he would have the rest covered.

Hanigan could travel 20m before he remembered he should have caught the ball.

Frogeyes Gartner had outstanding acceleration and good top pace but many would have beaten him over 100m, but few over 50m)

Starling is so fast he could turn off the light and collar a winger before it got dark.

Oh turn it up Alan!
Starlo wasn't shabby over 10m or so to collar Mamo, but he would get smoked by BJ within 20m easy!

Some of the great players you mention are before my time, so I defer to your wisdom there.
Age before beauty, after all...lol.

I do remember Frogeyes. Even Stuie Davis and guys like Shearer, even David Ronson was underrated for pace.And don't forget the Wolf man at his best, flying down the touchline.

A guy not mentioned who could've been anything before injury cruelled him, was Jack Elsegood! His first year in the top grade was very exciting and I remember a couple of length of the field efforts were no-one got near him!

Phil Blake was something special too; but I honestly believe at his peak, Snake would keep up with, and surpass almost them all.

Blinding speed, our Brett, for two or three amazing seasons. (STILL no slouch!).

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2