Why did we miss out on Boyd?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm really disappointed we missed out on Les Boyd's son, Grant. The papers are reporting Manly and Canberra tried for him, but he eventually settled on Western Suburbs PL. Is this an indication that our recruiting strategies and junior setup system are not up to scratch? Does anyone have any further info on this matter?

I read that article this morning with an empty feeling.That is a shame he turned Manly down and went to West's.I would say it would have alot to do with Joe Cool being the coach.His long friendship with Les would have swayed youngz Grant's choice.Is Les still a part time coach with Manly??Or did they let him go and keep Blocker who we all know where he wants his boys to play.

Les has nothing to do with Manly, it was only ever mentioned he could become involved but never did.

Actually Manly has never had a good record of sons of former players making an impact so it maybe better for both the young bloke and Manly he stays away.

Maybe he had mates there. Or Manly was to far away from the country for him.

Is Les Boyd still an avid Manly follower anyhow?

Yes - our recruiting strategies are weaker. It all stems from like I have said previously:-

01. A lack of success for almost a decade;
02. A lack of schoolboy competition in our area;
03. Administrative issues (club not returning calls etc)

The biggest new players in Inglis, Pearce etc sign with other clubs.

I think it's more about luck with Manly. We might get one or two roses amonsgt the thorns.

That's predominantly not Manly's fault though. It's more about demographic, and Crusher, Des & co. can't be blamed for 8 atroucious years.

Maybe the kid wanted a chance to play for the reigning premiers. Who really gives a **** anyway. The Kid hasn't even played premier league yet. He's probably crap.

it wasn't the first year he had trialled with wests - so not as if he is a new sensation - watching him play for the local side he goes well and like les said with the right coaching he can play 1st grade. he is explosive like his old man but doesn't have that mean streak like his dad

Maybe the kid wanted a chance to play for the reigning premiers. Who really gives a **** anyway. The Kid hasn't even played premier league yet. He's probably crap.

pretty much what I think.

[quote author=Ryan]

That's predominantly not Manly's fault though.
Not returning calls is something that could be improved.

[/quote]

We are talking The Eagles here. They have better things to do than that !! :lie:

One of my work mates is from cootamundra and knows him, she said hes not much of a player, he tries to be like his father but hes only ever made rep sides because of Les.

We dodged a bullet there, "scott fulton 2" :dance:

we missed out on some outher former players son too recently - he went to AFL - what is manly coming to

Instead of looking at what we missed out on, why not look at what we've got. I think we have done pretty good in the recruiting area. Like Clontaago said ... we can't buy everyone! Maybe the one's we didn't get weren't good enough or fit into the clubs long term plans. Maybe we just don't have the funds. Maybe they should have returned phone calls. But they got it right with Orford, Bell, and a few others, so maybe all is not lost.

It's a shame their both 2-4 years from retirement though Kiwigirl. It'd be nice to snare a 17 - 18 year old superstar:-

Sonny Bill, Benji Marshall, Inglis, Pearce, Tim Smith all etc etc come to mind.

kiwi girl is right, did anyone see sg ball this year, this years flegg will be a gun side, we have meaney, cuthbertson, groom, noxi, berryman, kiwi girls brooke, plenty of talent in juniors, just wait and see

It's a shame their both 2-4 years from retirement though Kiwigirl. It'd be nice to snare a 17 - 18 year old superstar:-

Sonny Bill, Benji Marshall, Inglis, Pearce, Tim Smith all etc etc come to mind.

we might have a couple running around in SG Ball or Flegg next year, who knows!!!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4