Why Foz chose Manly over Des

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
KIERAN Foran has opened up about why he turned down the chance to reunite with Des Hasler at the Bulldogs last year to stay at Manly.

He admits it was like trying to choose between your father and your brothers - but the special bond that kept him at the club will again be the Sea Eagles’ secret weapon in Sunday’s Grand Final.

Foran’s combination with Daly Cherry-Evans is today rated the best halves partnership in the game and, at 23 and 24 respectively, this will be their second grand final together after their win under Hasler in 2011.

But Foran’s decision to stay ended up being the best move he never made.

The tough five-eighth had a clause in his contract that allowed him to leave once Hasler was no longer coaching Manly.

He admits he was a phone call away from reuniting with his old coach at the Bulldogs but as much as he felt drawn to Hasler he said he just couldn’t walk away from his teammates.

"When I came to Manly, Dessy was such a big influence on the club, that is all I kind of ever knew,” Foran explained.

"And then when he left I just thought it would never happen, not in my wildest dreams.

"I thought I would play at Manly the rest of my life and Des Hasler would be the coach.

"So when that happened it was a big change to my life.

"Look, that was a tough time.

"I’ve got so many great mates, I didn’t want to leave them.

"I just needed time to sit back and think what this club was about and what actually made it so special.

"And when I got down to the finer points it was about this culture.

"The players, the boys that have been here for so many years, I didn’t want to walk away from that."

So he stayed with Manly and the rest is now history.

Plenty of people have been amazed by the courage that has inspired their charge through the finals after Manly were basically given up for dead three weeks ago.

But courageous back-to-back wins over Cronulla and Souths have them today being hailed as one of the bravest teams ever assembled.

And evidence of that commitment to each other was on show the day Foran turned down Hasler’s offer.

Many of his teammates including halves partner Cherry-Evans had him gone to the Bulldogs for sure.

"From my personal conversations with Kieran he was obviously pretty much gone," Cherry-Evans said this week.

“So for him to have something click and have him stay was huge for the club.

"I am very, very happy that Kieran made that decision to stay.

"I’d hate to see him play for any other club because I think he is the sort of guy this team needs for the next seven to 10 years.

"He is a competitor. It doesn’t matter if it is on or off the field, he is a competitive guy.

"And above all that he is a good person.

"He means well, he is kind-hearted, he would do no wrong by his teammates or his family.

"He is the sort of person I enjoy being around and the sort of person I’d have to have this relationship with for the rest of my life."

Foran added: "It was just about me making a decision that I thought was best for my footy and my life and when I added those things up it was to stay at Manly.

"This is a great footy club. I have great mates here, blokes I hope to be mates with for years to come and I just didn’t want to walk away from that.

"That is the culture I’m talking about. Blokes like 'Choc' Watmough, Jason King, Brent Kite, Glenn Stewart, Brett Stewart, Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai - they have built this culture and that is who I give the credit to.

"They have built this up for eight or nine years and now all of a sudden us young guys are coming through and we feed off that.’’

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/why-kieran-foran-chose-manly-over-des-hasler-and-stayed-with-the-manly-sea-eagles/story-e6frf3ou-1226731805685#ixzz2gZisw6u4

Reading stuff like that makes me proud to support this club. The irony though is that you have to give Des credit for building that very culture that Foz wanted to remain part of.

However I suspect Des had it instilled in him from the very first time he pulled on a maroon and white jumper. The very reason we have had so many successful coaches who are ex players. Bred not bought.

The conversation that Choc reported between himself and Gifty this week, was also along the same lines - mateship :angel:

That is why the Manly Boys can lift, against improbable odds - they do not want to let their Mate down and believe that in turn, their Mates won't let them down :heart:

That draw at AAMI Park this year, was my first inkling that Manly were in a Premiers frame of mind. The pain that they were in, the bad calls that they accepted and worked through, they were determined to fight as one unit.
Jarryd Hayne surprise me a few months back, and he has repeated it recently when asked who he thinks will be Premiers - 'Manly, they hunt as a single unit, more than any other Team - they all go up as one, and they keep coming at you for 80 minutes.':cool:

Horo and Brenton picked up on this attribute, and I believe that is why they blended into the Team so seamlessly :angel:

It bodes well for Manly's continued success on the field :)

dowdz said:
He admits it was like trying to choose between your father and your brothers

Shame Foz's name is not Luke..... Skywalker... ;)

HappilyManly said:
MadMarcus said:
Somebody should post this on Wolfman's locker.

Wolfie has already agreed to a reported 100k pay cut, he has more than shown his Manly Brotherhood commitment :angel:

I'll tell you what would be fantastic. If the rest of the team took a small pay cut to keep Wolfie. Imagine that! The media frenzy, the opposition fans screaming not fair, and there wouldn't be another player in the whole of the NRL that would not want to come to Manly to be a part of the Brotherhood. I would LOVE to see that happen!! :)

One of my favourite things about being a Manly supporter. The unity in the playing group in this club is extraordinary.

This Sunday is a huge game in the history of Manly and will be one of the greatest victories. Everyone has been talking up the Rorters and Souffs all year.

They don't know the heart in this club. Go on Killer. Lift that trophy.

tookey said:
The culture has been at the club since 1947 but was lost during the northern beagles days.

All Des did was re-introduce it again - he didn't invent it.

Agree. But we ran the risk of losing it, you could already see the signs under Sharp that the place was losing its aura. If we didn't get Des at that point then we may not be where we are. Des bought into it because he had experienced it, he set the standard again and coupled with some canny recruitment he put the passion back in the joint. If the board had looked outside the fold for a replacement coach in 2003 then we may well just be another Parramatta, Canterbury or Canberra. Souless places full of muppets who are only interested in themselves.

Choc was on tv last night with his wife Elle and he spoke about players taking a pay cut so others could stay and that was part of the bond they all felt for each other. Listening to him I was very impressed and moved.

Chip and Chase said:
tookey said:
The culture has been at the club since 1947 but was lost during the northern beagles days.

Agree. But we ran the risk of losing it, you could already see the signs under Sharp that the place was losing its aura. If we didn't get Des at that point then we may not be where we are. Des bought into it because he had experienced it, he set the standard again and coupled with some canny recruitment he put the passion back in the joint. If the board had looked outside the fold for a replacement coach in 2003 then we may well just be another Parramatta, Canterbury or Canberra. Souless places full of muppets who are only interested in themselves.

Des made the transition back easier by pretty much releasing every player from the previous years squad, leaving about 3-4 to carry on into his era.

This article makes me proud to wear my maroon and white jersey.

This is a special club, with a very special culture. There is something about putting on the maroon and white that changes you forever.

Im am very glad Foz stayed and that he has gained much pleasure from his decision.

I thought Foz was gone. I remember last year when we were playing the Dogs, and the rumour was that he was going to announce it just before the game.

My brother was joking about which jersey would Foran come out in.

I was very impressed with the senior players around this time, Kite, Choc, Killer etc. They seemed determined to keep this team together. And I think they were getting annoyed that the premierships were being reported as Des's, not Manlys.

The Foz signing was one of the most critical in the club's history. It is heartening to hear that he decided to stick with Manly for all the right reasons.

tookey said:

There's just no need to insult beagles. Sweet little dogs. As for the topic, I've supported Manly since '73 and this culture of which Foran speaks is why I have always been so passionate about Manly. It's in the very skeleton of the club.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8