Why have a Grand Final

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
With allot of people saying,the Roosters were the best side all year and deserved to win the GF......why play it ?.....especially with what we saw by the officials in this years game. Yeah.....we had chances to win it.......but the leg ups the Chooks. received and when they received them were double standard and a fair battle wasn't fought.......

Good post, I'm sick of hearing all this bullsh#t about " hey everyone knows Manly had some harsh calls against them , but the Roosters deserved the win because they came from being 18-8 down and also they were the best team all year". Well hello, they would not have been in a position to come from behind if the referees were competent,

We copped a raw deal but you can't say we were robbed. It is not certain we would have won the game if those decisions were made correctly by the referees.
The Mitchell Pearce knock on happened in the fourth minute when it was 0-0 and we still scored first so that is a moot point.
The Pearce strip on Foran was followed by Ballin dislodging the ball with his foot four tackles later and we got the scrum-feed. The JWH 'head butt' was nothing. Manly weren't robbed of a win, they were robbed of whatever ending the game would have had. It may well have still been a loss. IMO manly should have went on with the job at 18-8 up. I don't believe the penalty try was the right call. Mainly because Lyon didnt even attempt to pick the ball up. Instead, He threw his hands in the air nowhere near where the ball was. Manly has played the roosters 4 times this year and each time have come up with one try less than the roosters. The difference between the two teams has been consistent all year. They're a one try better team than we are this year. The roosters never made the mistakes, the referees did. That's why I say the roosters deserve the premiership. If we won I would say we deserved it. We didnt deserve to lose but neither did the roosters. Unfortunately there can only be one winner.

The title of this thread actually raises a very interesting point. Namely, aside from the fact that it makes a lot of money, why DO we have a play-off at the end of the season to determine the premiers? Surely the team that finishes top of the table at the end of the season is by definition the best team, and should be crowned champions on that basis alone (like they do in the English Premier League and other competitions around the world).

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy watching finals footy as much as the next person. But it has always seemed a little unfair to me that - having proven themselves the best team all year already - the minor premiers then have to go out and win the championship again...and that sometimes they don't end up doing so. Or that a team could finish as low as eighth (actually losing more games than they win during the regular season) and still end up premiers.

For that matter, is it right and proper that the eventual result of the entire season should be determined by the outcome of just ONE game (the Grand Final)? :huh:

Nuttybott said:
The title of this thread actually raises a very interesting point. Namely, aside from the fact that it makes a lot of money, why DO we have a play-off at the end of the season to determine the premiers? Surely the team that finishes top of the table at the end of the season is by definition the best team, and should be crowned champions on that basis alone (like they do in the English Premier League and other competitions around the world).

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy watching finals footy as much as the next person. But it has always seemed a little unfair to me that - having proven themselves the best team all year already - the minor premiers then have to go out and win the championship again...and that sometimes they don't end up doing so. Or that a team could finish as low as eighth (actually losing more games than they win during the regular season) and still end up premiers.

For that matter, is it right and proper that the eventual result of the entire season should be determined by the outcome of just ONE game (the Grand Final)? :huh:

Having the Minor Premiers crowned winners would be fair if all the teams played each other home and awayeach year (like the EPL).To declare it when one half of the draw could be "softer",wouldn't be fair.If the teams played each other twice,we could make a BIG thing of the Guiltnan Shield,and bump the paypacket for finishing first up significantly.

Hayne changed the whole game halfway through the 1st half giving the Roosters a string of penalties along with some dodgy calls. Until that point the Roosters were never in it.

Hayne did the same thing at Blue Tongue against Souths. We were all over them then Hayne gave them piggyback after piggyback allowing them back into the game.

There's nothing anyone can say to convince me otherwise Hayne has a hidden agenda against our club. He's a c*** and he cost us a premiership!!!

ayjay007 said:
Having the Minor Premiers crowned winners would be fair if all the teams played each other home and awayeach year (like the EPL).To declare it when one half of the draw could be "softer",wouldn't be fair.If the teams played each other twice,we could make a BIG thing of the Guiltnan Shield,and bump the paypacket for finishing first up significantly.
Well when I first started following the game (the 1970s) the teams DID play each other twice during the season on a home-and-away basis, but they still had an end of season play-off in those days too! It just seems to be an integral part of the way sport is played in Australia, for some reason. But it still doesn't seem quite fair somehow...to borrow the soccer analogy once more, it is like saying that the team that wins the EPL are not the champions unless they win the FA Cup as well...

Nuttybott said:
ayjay007 said:
Well when I first started following the game (the 1970s) the teams DID play each other twice during the season on a home-and-away basis, but they still had an end of season play-off in those days too! It just seems to be an integral part of the way sport is played in Australia, for some reason. But it still doesn't seem quite fair somehow...to borrow the soccer analogy once more, it is like saying that the team that wins the EPL are not the champions unless they win the FA Cup as well...

Yeah,I'm with you there.I think that there should be more emphasis placed on the Guiltnan Shield,with possibly,a $350K to $500K purse.Then play some sort of consolation/finals series.At present,a team may rest players,and give up a chance at first spot,so as to draw more favourably in the first week of the finals.Imagine the competition if it was worth 1/2 mill for 1st??!!

The Army Of One said:
With allot of people saying,the Roosters were the best side all year and deserved to win the GF......why play it ?.....especially with what we saw by the officials in this years game. Yeah.....we had chances to win it.......but the leg ups the Chooks. received and when they received them were double standard and a fair battle wasn't fought.......

They are contractually obliged to stage a grand final and stage it they did. All the way from the sexy pre-game performance of Ricky Martin through to the refereeing of cockhead Shayne Hayne out in the middle during the game. Staged. And the desired result was achieved. Ricky smashed out a few pelvic thrusts and Shayne Hayne held the Roosters hand all the way to the finish line. ****ing cheat dickhead

Why don't they have the grand final at the start of the season. I hate having to wait 29 weeks for it. Hey @bones :D

Personally love the finals series.
Look at the atmosphere in the leadup with every Seaeagles fans going nuts prior to the big game & in fact, right through the finals series.
I have seen many games where Manly have had worse calls yet overcome the ref factor but unfortunately not the GF.
The players did contribute to the result also, having every opportunity 10 points up. Still proud they got there but the performance in the final 30 minutes was unfortunately nowhere near the week before against Souths.
If we won the GF & made a thread about this everyone either ignore it, laugh at it or simply disagree.
Keep in mind we come 4th if the season ends after 26 rounds.......

I don't think there is enough credit given to the Minor Premiership. It should be worth a lot more money to the winner, and the finals series re-jigged so the minor premiers get the first week off.
Easts deservedly won the minor premiership. But I've seen Manly win minor premierships much more decisively than Easts and still not win the premiership.
The finals are all about money, and excitement. One loss and it can be all over for a previously dominant team.
I maintain Manly was the better team in both finals matches we played with Easts. Ironically, I think Cronulla were the better team when we beat them.
The better team for the majority of a match is no certainty to finish on the right side of the scoreboard. The Cowboys V Cronulla is yet a further example of this.

Another left field idea but why not a best of three grand final series. Game 1 Sunday arvo game 2 Friday night and game three Sunday night if required. Sure the teams would be tired playing the third game if it got that far but they would have already had two chances to win. Maybe go to a top 6 not 8 so there is the same amount of weeks. This would allow their to be a home grand final ( say the third game) for the top team. If out of syd team was in the gf one game could be taken interstate or to NZ.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6